Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2014, 00:01   #91

Boat: Newport 28
Re: New sailor, trying to narrow down what to get for my next boat.

Bummer the boat is super nice but kind of sketchy. Sellers name is not on the title. Says they were living abord with the guy who owns the boat and bought it from him when he moved. Guys name is still on the dock slip. Office was closed, but she said the harbormaster wasn't even aware that she purchased the boat yet.

Guy is apparently in the virgin islands and she may or may not be able to get him on the phone.

I might go get the real story from the harbormaster tomorrow. Maybe they can get hold of the guy.

Not looking too promising at this point, boat was perfect too. Had an extra set of brand new sails and it looked really well maintained. The interior was pretty nice. It also had marine air.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 08:45   #92

Yeah... be very careful you don't buy a boat from someone that doesn't own it! Alot of that type of thing going on now days. A bunch of people have been burned renting houses, paid first and last only to find out the guy they rented from doesn't own the house!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 15:22   #93

Well I checked everything out and it seemed good, so I pulled the trigger! Got it for 2500. Looks like it needs some small things plus the engine and I should out on the water!
Old 14-11-2014, 17:36   #94

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Well I checked everything out and it seemed good, so I pulled the trigger! Got it for 2500. Looks like it needs some small things plus the engine and I should out on the water!
Sweet! Congratulations on becoming an owner! So which one did you buy? Got clear title etc? Motor is not a big issue at that price. $1400 will get you a brand new Nissan 6hp on sale at Cabelas, and a couple hundred more gets you a very nice mount. If you put a proper engine in, fix the old one, or go electric, it will still be a great backup or can be sold to recoup some of the purchase price.

Now time to roll up your sleeves and get to work. What you saved in dollars, you will now spend in sweat and blood lol! My suggestion actually is to just push off with a pole and go for a sail first thing, even without a motor. Nothing like that first time out to make you bond with your new to you boat. It makes all the work and expense seem worthwhile. I now raise my glass to you, and wish you the best, Captain Vinny.
Old 15-11-2014, 14:44   #95

Got the newport 28.
Been shopping on craigslist for an outboard but most seem like ripoffs.
Im thinking about buying a smaller new outboard vs a more powerful used one.
Saw some new 3.5hps forr el cheapo, but I'm thinking I need at least 5
Old 15-11-2014, 14:52   #96

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
New sailor, trying to narrow down what to get for my next boat.

I had 5hp Honda on my Catalina 22. It was reliable. IMO, we focus so much on sailing, but most of the close calls come during docking under power. Reliable power (ie. New quality engine) is good insurance.

JimK
Old 15-11-2014, 15:15   #97

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Congrats.... now post some pics...
Old 15-11-2014, 15:17   #98

Totally agree. You are better off with a new outboard. It won't even be much more money. I would think 5 would be a little small, but really, it depends what you want to use it for.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 22:54   #99

Decided to go with a new engine. The 6hp is tempting due to lightwieght/cheap, but Id hate to buy it and it not be powerful enough.

The 9.9 is 600 dollars more and wieghs 90lbs. I have to motor out a few miles and under a bridge to get out in the bay,so Im thinking I may need the 9.9. Perhaps I should suck it up and spend the extra cash seeing how I practically stole the boat.
Old 16-11-2014, 03:34   #100

I think 9.9 would be the way to go. My Grampian 30 was similar to your Newport (1600 lbs more) and had an onboard atomic 4 with a fixed two bladed prop. It was by no means over powered. Atomics are around 30 hp.
I can recall at least once where I had to turn around and go home because my atomic just wouldn't make way against the headwind. About 25 knots of wind, 4-5 ft seas, snowing. Couldn't make any headway sailing against it, so tried motoring into it. No dice.
We were only making good about a knot. This was wind and seas only. No current.
I haven't seen it mentioned here, so you will definitely want a long shaft out board. Listening to a short shaft barking all day and getting you nowhere will drive you batty.
Good buy btw!

Old 16-11-2014, 06:59   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Rock on man! This is GREAT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Sweet! Congratulations on becoming an owner! So which one did you buy? Got clear title etc? Motor is not a big issue at that price. $1400 will get you a brand new Nissan 6hp on sale at Cabelas, and a couple hundred more gets you a very nice mount. If you put a proper engine in, fix the old one, or go electric, it will still be a great backup or can be sold to recoup some of the purchase price.

Now time to roll up your sleeves and get to work. What you saved in dollars, you will now spend in sweat and blood lol! My suggestion actually is to just push off with a pole and go for a sail first thing, even without a motor. Nothing like that first time out to make you bond with your new to you boat. It makes all the work and expense seem worthwhile. I now raise my glass to you, and wish you the best, Captain Vinny.
DITTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I had 5hp Honda on my Catalina 22. It was reliable. IMO, we focus so much on sailing, but most of the close calls come during docking under power. Reliable power (ie. New quality engine) is good insurance.

JimK
Yes

Quote:
Decided to go with a new engine. The 6hp is tempting due to lightwieght/cheap, but Id hate to buy it and it not be powerful enough.

The 9.9 is 600 dollars more and wieghs 90lbs. I have to motor out a few miles and under a bridge to get out in the bay,so Im thinking I may need the 9.9. Perhaps I should suck it up and spend the extra cash seeing how I practically stole the boat.
You will be happy you did... I guarantee it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think 9.9 would be the way to go. My Grampian 30 was similar to your Newport (1600 lbs more) and had an onboard atomic 4 with a fixed two bladed prop. It was by no means over powered. Atomics are around 30 hp.
I can recall at least once where I had to turn around and go home because my atomic just wouldn't make way against the headwind. About 25 knots of wind, 4-5 ft seas, snowing. Couldn't make any headway sailing against it, so tried motoring into it. No dice.
We were only making good about a knot. This was wind and seas only. No current.
I haven't seen it mentioned here, so you will definitely want a long shaft out board. Listening to a short shaft barking all day and getting you nowhere will drive you batty.
Good buy btw!

Indeed...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 07:27   #102

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Oh, if you don't have an outboard mount and you decide to install one, be sure it is low enough to keep the prop well in the water if you start pitching a bit from stemming a bit of chop. And be sure to use backing plates inside the transom or you will be sorry, especially with the 9.9. Get a knowledgeable person to check out your plan before you start drilling holes. Be sure your rudder and outboard don't interfere with each other. You may need to move your stern light, too.
Old 16-11-2014, 09:15   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Oh, if you don't have an outboard mount and you decide to install one, be sure it is low enough to keep the prop well in the water if you start pitching a bit from stemming a bit of chop. And be sure to use backing plates inside the transom or you will be sorry, especially with the 9.9. Get a knowledgeable person to check out your plan before you start drilling holes. Be sure your rudder and outboard don't interfere with each other. You may need to move your stern light, too.
Previous owner did fiberglass for a living and he cut out the transom for an outboard. Do I need the adapter or can I just clamp the motor in the spot where he cut it out, since the long shaft should reach the water from there?

Also been oit here going over the boat. It was raining pretty bad and I discovered about half the windows leak(some are new)

Also found a log book from an old owner. I appears he boight it in 2005 for 12k, had a survey done, then subsequently got full coverage insurance. He also has a reciept for a new genoa, roller and a forestay installed in 2005 as well.
Old 16-11-2014, 09:24   #104

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Previous owner did fiberglass for a living and he cut out the transom for an outboard. Do I need the adapter or can I just clamp the motor in the spot where he cut it out, since the long shaft should reach the water from there?

Also been oit here going over the boat. It was raining pretty bad and I discovered about half the windows leak(some are new)

Also found a log book from an old owner. I appears he boight it in 2005 for 12k, had a survey done, then subsequently got full coverage insurance. He also has a reciept for a new genoa, roller and a forestay installed in 2005 as well.
This sounds concerning ....Any pictures of this/
Old 16-11-2014, 09:28   #105

You should be able to mount without an expensive bracket if he did a cut out, but you'll likely want some plywood backing plates or something. It's hard to say without seeing it, but it sounds like you're on the right track and thinking about what you need to think about. I suspect you'll make the right call.
Don't stress about the windows, that's pretty standard in a boat of that vintage and design, just put it on your project list.
Most insurance companies will accept a survey that old for insurance purposes, but don't leave it too long, for many 10 years is kind of the threshhold for a new policy. You will likely need insurance if you want to keep the boat at a marina.

Tags
sail