Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2014, 05:50   #1

Boat: Newport 28
New sailor, trying to narrow down what to get for my next boat.

Hello everyone I am new to sailing. I started out just three years ago sailing a friends Hobie 18 beachcat with him, which got me hooked. That season I ended up getting a laser dinghy and sailing it for the rest of the season, so I could learn the basics. The following season I got a Hobie 16' beachcat and have been sailing that the past two seasons.

I thought I would be happy forever sailing beachcats, but it turns our I am finding myself taking the cat on longer and longer trips, wishing I had space for cargo so I could camp out, as well as room for extra people.

First question is how big of a transition is it to go from a beachcat to a 25'+ monohull? I would still consider myself a beginner as I have only been able to practice on weekends during the season. I am just getting to where I can take the boat out consistently without capsizing.

I am looking for something to use mainly in the bay to start out with, but possibly will venture out into coastal waters for short trips, once I get a lot more experience.
I would like to keep the budget under 10,000 for initial purchase price and I don't mind upgrading and restoring it gradually to make it more seaworthy while I am using it in the bay for a few seasons.

I do notice that a lot of the local boats for sale here in the bay have a shallow draft, therefor I am assuming the bay here is shallow, so that is what's preferred.
Some boats I have been looking at are the tartan 27, the Morgan out island 30 and 33, the Sanatana 30/30(I notice this boat is relatively fast compared to some of the others, would be nice coming from a multi-hull, but how durable is it?)...also saw a good price on a Catalina 30 and a Hunter 27(newer model), but these boats seem cheap for their size, which makes me question build quality.
I would say my primary focus is on durability and build quality, followed by sailing performance over things like size and cabin space.

Also is this a good size range for my needs? should I hold out for a few seasons and keep sailing the beachcat until I can afford something over 30'? Or would that be "too much boat" for someone with my experience?
I'd like to avoid buying 2-3 more boats within the next ten years as my experience grows, but I also don't want to get in over my head.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail