Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 15:36   #16

Boat: Morgan 27
I have a Morgan 27 at 7200# & I use a 2 cycle 8HP mec. I can travel at 5knots with an incoming tide at 1.4 knots. We burn about 10miles a gallon. Not once have we been at full throttle
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 15:43   #17

I would buy a newer motor but dont throw away the old. Those are the best ones to practice fixing up. We bought our boat with an original 1972 Johnson 2 stroke.The owner said it did not run, I got a manual and tore it apart and rebuilt it. The cost of repair was around $75. It now runs great.
Old 07-05-2013, 15:46   #18

Re: Need small outboard for Columbia 28

Skipper John,

As for sailing out of PH. You have to go around the ewa side of Ford Island. As for security, you just have to radio them and ask permission giving HA number...etc.

As for the engine. I told them I would not pay them squat, and they could just keep the engine. It came with the boat. Why shell out $600 and go through the hassle of selling an engine I have no place to put? The estimate clearly stated anything over 10% of the invoice must be authorized. They didn't. Actually, the owner said the invoice was at $900 and they lowered it, which is probably a Keehi Lagoon lie.

The people I bought the boat from was ayoung Air Force couple in their 20's stationed at WAAF. Can't believe they sucked over $20k from these people.

At any rate, I think it's fair. The yard gets a free engine, which they "fixed", and can now sell for cash. I don't have to pay them anything. Just lose a POS outboard that came with the boat. Yes, if I knew ahead of time, would have asked for lower price, or just sold this outboard "as is" to someone to get a couple hundred bucks.

Oh, and of course, the yard loses me as a future customer.

BLOOD SUCKAHS!!
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 15:55   #19

Boat: 1980 Freya 39

Just incase you change your mind on the outboard you can see my Cal 2-27 being powered with a 4 hp merc on You tube under Jean Mondeau. A used replacement engine is going to cost you about the same as the repairs of yours and at least you know the history of your engine.

I eventually replaced the 4hp with a 9.9 used Nissan because the 4hp was a bit underpowered under a head wind and a strong current. Plus the 9.9 has an alternator and an electric start.

I got tremendous range out of the 4 hp but the 9.9 is quieter smoother and really saves the day here in the San Fransisco bay with high winds and currents. Its better to have too much engine and not need it than not enough when you do.
jmmondeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:28   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
I have a Morgan 27 at 7200# & I use a 2 cycle 8HP mec. I can travel at 5knots with an incoming tide at 1.4 knots. We burn about 10miles a gallon. Not once have we been at full throttle
Sounds like a good engine but that mileage is terrible. Better to go with a 4 stroke. I'm thinking I can do that mileage on my Bristol 27 @6600lbs with my 5hp 4 stroke Mercury with less than 1/2 a gallon.

I crossed the Chesapeake (17 miles) a few weeks back after the wind stopped with my 3 gallon plastic tank at about 1/2 full. I have somewhere around a 1/4th left. I was actually hitting 6.2 knots but there must have been some favoring current when I did that.

I normally keep that tank in the aft locker and just use the internal but it only holds around 40 oz so I figured I'd burn off some of that old fuel in the tank.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:49   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sounds like a good engine but that mileage is terrible. Better to go with a 4 stroke. I'm thinking I can do that mileage on my Bristol 27 @6600lbs with my 5hp 4 stroke Mercury with less than 1/2 a gallon.

I crossed the Chesapeake (17 miles) a few weeks back after the wind stopped with my 3 gallon plastic tank at about 1/2 full. I have somewhere around a 1/4th left. I was actually hitting 6.2 knots but there must have been some favoring current when I did that.

I normally keep that tank in the aft locker and just use the internal but it only holds around 40 oz so I figured I'd burn off some of that old fuel in the tank.

The 4 stroke will give more mileage (don't put ethanol in it -- ever), and more power, but it will be heavier. For some people, depending on how their small boat is configured, that could be an issue, both for working with the engine and whether it weighs the stern down too much.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
The 4 stroke will give more mileage (don't put ethanol in it -- ever), and more power, but it will be heavier. For some people, depending on how their small boat is configured, that could be an issue, both for working with the engine and whether it weighs the stern down too much.
My 4 stoke uses the normal 10% ethanol gas out of the normal pumps. No problems after the first year and a half, but I do start it from time to time and if the fuel is going to be sitting in my plastic 3 gallon tank for a few months I do add a little stabill stuff so the ethanol doesn't gel (or whatever)

Mine has the pull start btw. (but) I know small engines and how they work. Some folks can really make starting one hard on themelves.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:14   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul View Post
Skipper John,

As for sailing out of PH. You have to go around the ewa side of Ford Island. As for security, you just have to radio them and ask permission giving HA number...etc.

As for the engine. I told them I would not pay them squat, and they could just keep the engine. It came with the boat. Why shell out $600 and go through the hassle of selling an engine I have no place to put? The estimate clearly stated anything over 10% of the invoice must be authorized. They didn't. Actually, the owner said the invoice was at $900 and they lowered it, which is probably a Keehi Lagoon lie.

The people I bought the boat from was ayoung Air Force couple in their 20's stationed at WAAF. Can't believe they sucked over $20k from these people.

At any rate, I think it's fair. The yard gets a free engine, which they "fixed", and can now sell for cash. I don't have to pay them anything. Just lose a POS outboard that came with the boat. Yes, if I knew ahead of time, would have asked for lower price, or just sold this outboard "as is" to someone to get a couple hundred bucks.

Oh, and of course, the yard loses me as a future customer.

BLOOD SUCKAHS!!
Glad Pearl is getting back to normal. Back in the old days we had a permit number that we had to get at Operations, then use that to request either channel via VHF and could sail either side of Ford Island if there weren't any big boy traffic. Could even race around Ford Island or sail down to Iroquois and back in small boats without engines. That was all day affair in boats from 12 to 19 feet.

Lots of fun.

I hope you can get the engine thing sorted out.

kind regards,
Old 08-05-2013, 12:29   #24
cruiser

Quote:
My 4 stoke uses the normal 10% ethanol gas out of the normal pumps. No problems after the first year and a half, but I do start it from time to time and if the fuel is going to be sitting in my plastic 3 gallon tank for a few months I do add a little stabill stuff so the ethanol doesn't gel (or whatever)

Mine has the pull start btw. (but) I know small engines and how they work. Some folks can really make starting one hard on themelves.

If I were you I would check with the manufacturer about 10% ethanol gas. I'm willing to bet you a nickel that they'll tell you to not use it. Ever.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31   #25

Boat: O'Day 28

This is obvious to most folks: a sailboat needs the long shaft of 25" to keep the prop in the water.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:35   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
This is obvious to most folks: a sailboat needs the long shaft of 25" to keep the prop in the water.

Actually 20" was plenty for my 25' Irwin. it had a cut down transom. 25" would have been too long.

It varies from boat to boat.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42   #27

Quote:

We all know that every 2 stroke uses more gas then a 4 stroke. However my 2 stroke will out last any 4 stroke. A 4 Stroke is more gas sensitive, the carb always has to be cleaned. they are not designed for ethanol fuel in fact your not even supposed to use it at all. Plus the weight. I hope never to own a 4 stroke.
Old 08-05-2013, 14:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
We all know that every 2 stroke uses more gas then a 4 stroke. However my 2 stroke will out last any 4 stroke. A 4 Stroke is more gas sensitive, the carb always has to be cleaned. they are not designed for ethanol fuel in fact your not even supposed to use it at all. Plus the weight. I hope never to own a 4 stroke.
If that old school BS makes you happy, that's great. I'm sure all these companies (Honda, Mercury, Nissan, etc) built these 4 stroke motors so they wouldn't work with the available fuel. Awesome business plan!

My 4 stroke runs so well with the same gas I use in my Jeep (which is 10% ethanol) that I'm about to buy a Honda 2 hp 4 stroke outboard.

I wanted to restore my old Bristol to it's original condition, and I even bought a second 1974 diesel but then realized it was like driving behind a 1974 vehicle. It smells! (And) the original engine a Westerbeke Bukh 10 hp weighed in at around 350lbs so I decided to go with the 57lb 5 hp outboard which just 3 weeks ago coming across the Chesapeake pushed my 6600 lb Bristol 27 between 5-6.2 knots. Much faster than the Westerbeke ever could with the flat prop it had.

This 2 hp Honda 4 stroke I'm going to buy will weigh 28lbs and I'll be getting the 20" shaft model. All I need most times is power to get out of my slip. After I'm out, the engine will be stored in one of the cockpit lazerette lockers. I really don't
like outboards hanging off thew stern ( but I also don't like dragging props thru the water like with an Ib diesel.

My last 4 sailboats didn't have engines. They were racing catamarans. I did multiple 100 mile races with them. Good news now is if the wind stops I have shelter, food, icebox, laptop, bunk/settee, depth, GPS, etc

Btw, my Jeep Grand Cherokee(s) is a 4 stroke.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:01   #29
cruiser

Quote:
If that old school BS makes you happy, that's great. I'm sure all these companies (Honda, Mercury, Nissan, etc) built these 4 stroke motors so they wouldn't work with the available fuel. Awesome business plan!

My 4 stroke runs so well with the same gas I use in my Jeep (which is 10% ethanol) that I'm about to buy a Honda 2 hp 4 stroke outboard.

I wanted to restore my old Bristol to it's original condition, and I even bought a second 1974 diesel but then realized it was like driving behind a 1974 vehicle. It smells! (And) the original engine a Westerbeke Bukh 10 hp weighed in at around 350lbs so I decided to go with the 57lb 5 hp outboard which just 3 weeks ago coming across the Chesapeake pushed my 6600 lb Bristol 27 between 5-6.2 knots. Much faster than the Westerbeke ever could with the flat prop it had.

This 2 hp Honda 4 stroke I'm going to buy will weigh 28lbs and I'll be getting the 20" shaft model. All I need most times is power to get out of my slip. After I'm out, the engine will be stored in one of the cockpit lazerette lockers. I really don't
like outboards hanging off thew stern ( but I also don't like dragging props thru the water like with an Ib diesel.

My last 4 sailboats didn't have engines. They were racing catamarans. I did multiple 100 mile races with them. Good news now is if the wind stops I have shelter, food, icebox, laptop, bunk/settee, depth, GPS, etc

Btw, my Jeep Grand Cherokee(s) is a 4 stroke.

Let us know when you have to reuild the carbourator.
Old 08-05-2013, 17:53   #30

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Need small outboard for Columbia 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Actually 20" was plenty for my 25' Irwin. it had a cut down transom. 25" would have been too long.

It varies from boat to boat.
My point was to ensure the OP knew that longer was way better.

It's not about you.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, outboard

« Mac25 | Surveys »