Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 18:17   #31

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Need small outboard for Columbia 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If that old school BS makes you happy, that's great.

I wanted to restore my old Bristol to it's original condition, and I even bought a second 1974 diesel but then realized it was like driving behind a 1974 vehicle. It smells! (And) the original engine a Westerbeke Bukh 10 hp weighed in at around 350lbs so I decided to go with the 57lb 5 hp outboard which just 3 weeks ago coming across the Chesapeake pushed my 6600 lb Bristol 27 between 5-6.2 knots. Much faster than the Westerbeke ever could with the flat prop it had.

This 2 hp Honda 4 stroke I'm going to buy will weigh 28lbs and I'll be getting the 20" shaft model. All I need most times is power to get out of my slip. After I'm out, the engine will be stored in one of the cockpit lazerette lockers.
Like yer thinking about the diesel to OB switch. I'm looking at the same question. All these modern outboards are so reliable. And even the two stroke mileage is said to be improved. The diesel would offer better mileage by far I think but breakdowns would be quicker and cheaper to fix with the outboard.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 18:55   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Need small outboard for Columbia 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
My point was to ensure the OP knew that longer was way better.

It's not about you.
Of course it's not about me. It's not about you, either.

Let's make sure it's not also about an argument, OK?

Longer is not always better. What's best is what fits the boat. That's why they come in both 20" and 25".

Extra hidden benefit, when I no longer had the small boat but still had the motor, I could use it on my dinghy.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 19:12   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Longer is not always better. What's best is what fits the boat. That's why they come in both 20" and 25".
On powerboats. Sailboats need the prop to stay in the water.
Old 08-05-2013, 19:30   #34
cruiser

Quote:

Funny how mine did. My boat had a cut down transom, and the 20" was riht for my boat. On some sailoats, 25" isn't long enough without significant mounting modifications, which is why the OP should look at his boat and not pay attention to anyone who has a grudge to bear.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05   #35

Boat: kuiper 32

my 1 and a half tonne keeler has heaps of power with my 5 hp four stroke honda.I started out with a 2 hp 2 stroke it was useless then went to a 4 hp two stroke a bit better hungry on fuel though.Love the honda also charges my batterys
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:06   #36

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Let us know when you have to reuild the carbourator.
Let me guess, you have removed the catalytic converter from you car to make "her" run better right!

Most times I only run my 4 stroke 5hp engine (idle) a few minutes to get the boat out of the slip. That is terrible for carburetors, but the engine keeps running fine even when I do need it for a long run.

On the pop open cover of my old 1966 Johnson 2 stroke 40 horse outboard it said to mix one quart of SAE 30 with 6 gallons of gas. Much of that oil sadly ended up in the bay. Later they got it down to a pint/6 gallons. Now finally we have a clean running 4 stroke and some old schoolers can still find nonexistant faults with them.

Btw, they have stopped selling 2 stroke outboards and soon it may be illegal even to run one....
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12   #37

Quote:
Like yer thinking about the diesel to OB switch. I'm looking at the same question. All these modern outboards are so reliable. And even the two stroke mileage is said to be improved. The diesel would offer better mileage by far I think but breakdowns would be quicker and cheaper to fix with the outboard.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how close the diesel and the 4 strokes are on fuel consumption.

Also, these small four strokes are really strong for their size. I believe they are measuring horsepower in a different way these days than they did when we were all speeding(?) around the Chesapeake in our Chincoteague Scows with our 40hp Johnsons.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Let me guess, you have removed the catalytic converter from you car to make "her" run better right!

Most times I only run my 4 stroke 5hp engine (idle) a few minutes to get the boat out of the slip. That is terrible for carburetors, but the engine keeps running fine even when I do need it for a long run.

On the pop open cover of my old 1966 Johnson 2 stroke 40 horse outboard it said to mix one quart of SAE 30 with 6 gallons of gas. Much of that oil sadly ended up in the bay. Later they got it down to a pint/6 gallons. Now finally we have a clean running 4 stroke and some old schoolers can still find nonexistant faults with them.

Btw, they have stopped selling 2 stroke outboards and soon it may be illegal even to run one....

No, I have not done that -- do you always accuse people of doing illegal things?

The day will come. Call the manufacturer or not as you wish, but for the rest of the readers here, I would urge THEM to talk to their outboard's manufacturer before using gas with ethanol on it. Don't bother banging your head. We don't all have to agree here. SENSIBLE people will realize that they've heard two sides and not follow either of us blindly.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:36   #39

Quote:
No, I have not done that -- do you always accuse people of doing illegal things?

The day will come. Call the manufacturer or not as you wish, but for the rest of the readers here, I would urge THEM to talk to their outboard's manufacturer before using gas with ethanol on it. Don't bother banging your head. We don't all have to agree here. SENSIBLE people will realize that they've heard two sides and not follow either of us blindly.
Ahh................okay if you are worried about the old ethanol so much get some of that fuel stablizer like stabill (sp?) or something and you'll be ok. Sailors probably should use that anyway since we have unused gas in our tanks for months. This stay bill crap does the trick for months I believe.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:48   #40

Quote:
Boating 101.

You good sailors that just use the OB to get in and out of the slip can get away with small and light. Like Thomm, we'd pull the engine on our Evelyn 32 to get even that light longshaft 4hp/2stroke weight off the stern during races.

And those older boats with the OB well like OP's Col 28 really put the OB in the right spot but with the intent that it be pulled from the water while sailing. I had an early Cal 24 with an outboard well. I cut the back out of the well, and glassed in sides of the well to the transom, allowing me to tilt the engine out of the water. Easy fix allowing mucho power and prop way down low. No cavitation when getting bounced around.

That's what I'd do in OP's situation. That, and a 9.9 four stroke would be almost as good as an inboard. Considering repairs and maintenance, maybe better. And without that weight hanging even further back on the OB bracket.

The comment about the engine with a 20" shaft, had a longer shaft effectively due to the cutdown transom. Many sailors would be adverse to cutting down their transoms to use a shortshaft OB, a double bad whammy.

Not to get overtly political, I think the Govt screwed us all again, at least us Muricans, with the ethanol in the gas. It was all about selling more corn I guess. The newer engines are likely all tuned, or de-tuned, to run ethanol.

The times they are a changin': 3 "service" stations in town now sell non-ethanol fuel in place of midgrade at a $$$ premium. A middle-eastern family has purchased an old Exxon station located next to the causeway going to the beach. All they sell is non-ethanol fuel and they seem to be doing OK in spite of the ethnic sidebar that must trouble some of our good ole boys. Couple a days ago, reg fuel was $3.60 a gal but the family was getting $4.07 for non-eth or $4.28 if you want to use a credit card.

Anyway, point being that Stabil will handle the water/fuel issue in storage but the ethanol apparently will settle/dry out into fine-grained substance like sand. Course you shouldn't let that happen by running everything til it's empty, but it happens. I've switched to non-ethanol for everything but my truck. YMMV.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:19   #41

Quote:
Boating 101.

You good sailors that just use the OB to get in and out of the slip can get away with small and light. Like Thomm, we'd pull the engine on our Evelyn 32 to get even that light longshaft 4hp/2stroke weight off the stern during races.

And those older boats with the OB well like OP's Col 28 really put the OB in the right spot but with the intent that it be pulled from the water while sailing. I had an early Cal 24 with an outboard well. I cut the back out of the well, and glassed in sides of the well to the transom, allowing me to tilt the engine out of the water. Easy fix allowing mucho power and prop way down low. No cavitation when getting bounced around.

That's what I'd do in OP's situation. That, and a 9.9 four stroke would be almost as good as an inboard. Considering repairs and maintenance, maybe better. And without that weight hanging even further back on the OB bracket.

The comment about the engine with a 20" shaft, had a longer shaft effectively due to the cutdown transom. Many sailors would be adverse to cutting down their transoms to use a shortshaft OB, a double bad whammy.

Not to get overtly political, I think the Govt screwed us all again, at least us Muricans, with the ethanol in the gas. It was all about selling more corn I guess. The newer engines are likely all tuned, or de-tuned, to run ethanol.

The times they are a changin': 3 "service" stations in town now sell non-ethanol fuel in place of midgrade at a $$$ premium. A middle-eastern family has purchased an old Exxon station located next to the causeway going to the beach. All they sell is non-ethanol fuel and they seem to be doing OK in spite of the ethnic sidebar that must trouble some of our good ole boys. Couple a days ago, reg fuel was $3.60 a gal but the family was getting $4.07 for non-eth or $4.28 if you want to use a credit card.

Anyway, point being that Stabil will handle the water/fuel issue in storage but the ethanol apparently will settle/dry out into fine-grained substance like sand. Course you shouldn't let that happen by running everything til it's empty, but it happens. I've switched to non-ethanol for everything but my truck. YMMV.
I burnt off last years external tank fuel 3 weeks ago crossing the 17 miles or so from Kiptopeke since there was zero.zero wind. Of course, most of the night before was spent in a rather open anchorage under a small craft advisary. So far so good with the ethanol.

The good news is the engine got a good long run in. I even ran it at max rpm for a few minutes to "blowout" the carb like we used to do back in the day with our cars. Good excuse to speed........
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Boating 101.

SLM get off my back. The boat was DESIGNED that way. I have original drawings from the sales brochure. Nobody just cut the back out of the boat. @@

And thanks, you made my point. The motor has to fit the boat. On my boat, 20" is what fit.

Problem with counting on STABIL is that some day you'll be out of it and nee gas, or be distracted and forget to put it in. Better to use the right fuel to begin with.

Like I said, the ONLY source to believe is the manufacturer of the engine.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:40   #43

Red face Re: Need small outboard for Columbia 28

Quote:
SLM get off my back. The boat was DESIGNED that way. I have original drawings from the sales brochure. Nobody just cut the back out of the boat. @@

And thanks, you made my point. The motor has to fit the boat. On my boat, 20" is what fit.

Problem with counting on STABIL is that some day you'll be out of it and nee gas, or be distracted and forget to put it in. Better to use the right fuel to begin with.

Like I said, the ONLY source to believe is the manufacturer of the engine.
I don't reckon you'd need your Stay Bill the first couple 3 weeks of fuel in the tank...............

I haven't put any in the batch (of fuel) I just bought 2 weeks ago and I'm going to try and run (sail) North about 30 -40 miles tomorrow. Not sure yet how many minutes I'll be using the engine though. At least 5-10 I would think. I'll definitely report it if I have trouble........
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09   #44
cruiser

Quote:
I don't reckon you'd need your Stay Bill the first couple 3 weeks of fuel in the tank...............

I haven't put any in the batch (of fuel) I just bought 2 weeks ago and I'm going to try and run (sail) North about 30 -40 miles tomorrow. Not sure yet how many minutes I'll be using the engine though. At least 5-10 I would think. I'll definitely report it if I have trouble........
It's a problem that builds up over time. Then you start having trouble, and you end up having to have the carbourator rebuilt. It's not an instant problem.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:26   #45

Jesus?
Joseph?
Mary?

I'm leaving Miss Flames to you guys that can find a way to be nice.

Tags
columbia, outboard

« Mac25 | Surveys »