Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 14:14   #1

Is This A Safe Mooring Spot

Please see the attached file. This is a map of Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada. I am planning on keeping a 22' sailboat permanently anchored where the red X is on the map. The Bay is aprox 200km long and 100km wide, and a western wind (yellow arrow). 10-20 knot winds most of the time but we have seen 50 before. Please let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Georgian Bay Map.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	21819  
GThibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It's a pretty small map but I don't see any protection there at all. Doesn't it freeze up there? I would think the ice would crush your boat if the wind and waves hadn't already sunk her. To me it would make more sense to haul a 22 footer out for the winter. If you want to keep her in the water during sailing season you'll want to find a harbour with protection from any winds where there's a fetch that can build a sea.

I looks like there's harbours on the other side of the peninsula that would provide protection.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:36   #3

It would just be for the summer and the bottom part of the bay there is only about 40km wide. The waves are 1-2 meters somtimes more, if you click on the pic twice it will go bigger.
Old 09-12-2010, 14:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Its a pity you cant moor it the other side in the bay next to Midland...
40 km's a lot of room for a fetch to build up... but if you've got notice of high winds you could just nip out and lengthen the line to give her more to ride on.. would suggest two lines.. one slacker than the other just in case.. each capable of the loads..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:47   #5

Boat: grampian 26
Unless there is sheltered bay or an Island to tuck in behind you are on a lee shore. The prevailing winds are out of the NW. If you are in the shallows the waves are going to pile and be short and steep. Not something a prudent sailor would do. From what I can see on the chart it looks like bald coast. My chart is on the boat but if memory ;it is wide open down that whole shore.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Based on the map - no. It's more complicated than that. You don't want "sometimes more than 2 meters" with a 22 ft boat. It only takes one time.

The exact location and protection from dominant NW weather is important. There is just too many details to say if it is a good spot or not.

Georgian Bay is a highly desirable place and I would love to have my Canadian built boat there some time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Unless there is sheltered bay or an Island to tuck in behind you are on a lee shore. The prevailing winds are out of the NW. If you are in the shallows the waves are going to pile and be short and steep. Not something a prudent sailor wouldn't do. From what I can see on the chart it looks like bald coast.
I think you probably meant it to read Not something a prudent sailor would do?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
the strongest summer winds will come from the NW, right down the entire length of Georgian Bay.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:58   #9

Thinking 300lbs of concrete with a 70' chain in about 10 feet of water. Still not a good idea?
Old 09-12-2010, 14:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I think you probably meant it to read Not something a prudent sailor would do?
Yes a typo
Old 09-12-2010, 14:59   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
It looks like from the map that, as you say, at least 40 Km to the west of your spot. With a 50 kt wind blowing across 40 Km you will certainly see 2 meter waves or more. I would not want my boat anchored or moored in 2 meter waves. The problem is not the block holding the mooring line the problem is the strain on your boat, cleats, etc as the mooring lines jerk as the boat bounces up and down in the waves. Also the mast and rigging will be jerking hard back and forth. Very likely things will break if you do get into these conditions.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 15:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Based on the map - no. It's more complicated than that. You don't want "sometimes more than 2 meters" with a 22 ft boat. It only takes one time.

The exact location and protection from dominant NW weather is important. There is just too many details to say if it is a good spot or not.

Georgian Bay is a highly desirable place and I would love to have my Canadian built boat there some time.
You should come up and see us somtime.
Old 09-12-2010, 15:07   #13

The boat will be worth no more then 5000, still worth the cost to keep it safe in Midland sheltered or just risk it for free?
Old 09-12-2010, 15:30   #14

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
.......Georgian Bay is a highly desirable place.......
And highly priced also. Probably why the op is looking to "permanently anchor". If I recall there are a few marinas close by.

Last time I was sailing there I remember the shore as rather rocky. So much depends on much more. Are you going to be aboard and do you have a powerful and dependable enough engine to save the day in the event of a drag or chafe through situation? Do you mind being exposed and bouncing like a cork at the end of a string in those "1 to 2 meter" (short and steep) waves? Is your "anchor" going to be more like a mooring? An old fridge filled with concrete might do but living in those situations might be uncomfortable and hauling it for a day sail, out of the question. Ussually little protection like that combined with the lee shore and really nowhere to slip anchor and run if things get bad makes for a potentially poor choice for anchorages. With a propper mooring minimizing the likelyhood of dragging and a regularly inspected chain with enough scope, the boat should be alright (except for debris that will tend to end up there it being a heavily wooded lakeshore). But not a place I would want to anchor or spend the night aboard in a blow.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 15:32   #15

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
In that location with a north west wind blowing 20+ for more than a day, you'll see at least 3m. I echo the earlier comments that your boat will be banged to death. Lots of better places to look within 5nm.

Why that particular spot? Cottage?

Tags
mooring