Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 17:12   #1

Thinking Of Buying First Sailboat

Hello I’m thinking of buying my first 22’ sailboat but I have some questions. I live on Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada and my plan is to leave it anchored all summer in about 10 feet of water. Georgian Bay is a very large lake and there will be no shelter for the boat, will this cause damage?
I was also thinking of making a permanent anchor for it, example 300lbs of concrete. In a large storm could a 22’ boat pull that kind of weight, and if so what would make a good permanent anchor?
Lastly Georgian Bay has a ton of great Islands to explore with some shallow waters so I’m in debate on what type of keel I should consider. Maybe a swing keel or something like that would be best. What do you think?
Thanks so Much
GThibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 17:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sounds a pretty good plan... your ground tackle chain and 300lbs concrete block will stand the strain easy and if you want to skim the sands a swing keel will do the trick just fine.... Go for it...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 18:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
If you are planning to moor the boat in an area exposed to the main lake then it could be dangerous for the boat if there is a strong wind blowing from the open water towards your boat. The wind can cause large waves that could put large stresses on the cleats, mooring lines, etc. You might not drag your concrete block but still damage the boat.

You should try to drop your mooring in a spot behind an island or up river or any spot where you are not exposed to the open lake.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:08   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Are there other folks anchored where you plan to be? What do they think? If you are going to choose a place where there are no other boats then it might be worth investigating why others have avoided the area.

Good luck and your anchor system sounds good. Here in Hawaii responsible boaters dive their moorings to check them every 6 months.

kind regards,
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42   #5

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GThibodeau View Post
Hello I’m thinking of buying my first 22’ sailboat but I have some questions. I live on Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada and my plan is to leave it anchored all summer in about 10 feet of water. Georgian Bay is a very large lake and there will be no shelter for the boat, will this cause damage?
I was also thinking of making a permanent anchor for it, example 300lbs of concrete. In a large storm could a 22’ boat pull that kind of weight, and if so what would make a good permanent anchor?
Lastly Georgian Bay has a ton of great Islands to explore with some shallow waters so I’m in debate on what type of keel I should consider. Maybe a swing keel or something like that would be best. What do you think?
Thanks so Much
To the best of my knowledge there are no free/permanent anchorages on Georgian bay. You will have to look into it carefully as there was a lawsuit in the recent past involving an individual with a floating cottage. He lost the argument.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote