Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 22:34   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Finally Bought My Boat

After looking for about 2 1/2 years and coming very close to buying a half a dozen times, I finally did it. She's a 1970 Allied 30.5 Seawind Sloop, has the Volvo Penta 23 HP engine with about 700 hrs, the boat in general needs help but nothing critical, she's not ready for for long distance voyaging yet, one thing that surprised me is the tankage, 40 gal fuel, same for water. had a full survey done with sea trial, report fair to good condition. Got her for 8k, also has a wind gen, I'm happy with the purchase. Would very much like to hear opinions about this boat, I know some of the history about the A-Seawind, looking forward to getting this boat ready for bluewater.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 23:03   #2

Re: Finally Bought My Boat

Congrats.

I like those boats.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:29   #3

happy days!
kieranf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:38   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
We've got the bloated sibling of that boat.....and are quite happy with it. Congrats!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 13:41   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations! I think they are great boats and nearly bought one many years back. One of my sailing acquaintances had it and since has done a circumnavigation on it.
His was a ketch.
Old 25-01-2014, 14:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Congrates,nice sailboats..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 18:35   #7

Thanks everyone, it's been quite a search, I've looked at everything from Tayana 37's, to Westsail 32's, mostly double enders, after survey after survey something was always preventing me from buying, mostly I was picking boats that needed to much work and money, I had looked at the Allied Seawind, but it seemed that they were all the Ketch, just didn't want a mast in the cockpit, when I saw this one, a sloop, for 8k, I decided to see how much trouble the boat was in, as it turned out, not too much, it's a sound starting platform for a good, go anywhere, bluewater boat. I wanted to try and keep it simple also. The main sail is in fair condition, dirty, and needs to be scrubbed, but serviceable, would make a good spare, might try my hand at sailmaking, I can do everthing else that the boat needs myself, I'll start a thread in another section about sailmaking, got a couple of books coming on the subject. If anybody has any advise about this boat, especially from owner's or former owners , I would very much like to hear it. Thanks, Sam
Old 25-01-2014, 18:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Well done Sam, congratulations, you must be excited, get some photos up when you can!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 18:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Well done Sam, congratulations, you must be excited, get some photos up when you can!
Will Do
Old 25-01-2014, 20:10   #10

I delivered one from Cabo San Lucas to San Francisco, and even though it was a motor sail most of the way, I decided that it had the nicest motion of any boat in that size range that I had delivered or ever sailed on. It will be a nice sea boat. Great Boat. Congrats. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 21:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I delivered one from Cabo San Lucas to San Francisco, and even though it was a motor sail most of the way, I decided that it had the nicest motion of any boat in that size range that I had delivered or ever sailed on. It will be a nice sea boat. Great Boat. Congrats. _____Grant.
Thanks Grant, Yes, this is what I had been hearing about this boat, here's a pic. another o
Old 29-01-2014, 18:47   #12
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

What a great boat.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 19:00   #13

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Pretty!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 19:37   #14

Boat: Able 50

Congratulations !

From now on you'll be as poor as the rest of us.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 22:37   #15

Thanks Guys, I'm not under any illusions, to get this boat ready for what I want do, long distance voyaging, it's going to cost me some money, I know what I need to do, kind of, but am always looking for others insight, especially from those that have done it or doing it, I'm reading Capn Fatty Goodlander's Book, Buy, Outfit, Sail: How To Inexpensively and Safely Buy, Outfit, and Sail a Small Vessel Around the World, and am very much enjoying it, and learning from it, (Bought his book after I bought my boat but I'm very happy with my choice and beleive I did good on the price considering it's condition), I like his, strong and safe first, approach, I like his style and glad I bought his book. Capn Fatty speaks very highly of the Monitor Wind Vane, probably cosidered the best vane out there, I'm on the other hand am looking closely at the Norvane, the Monitor is going to be too heavy for my boat and I've read very good things about the Norvane, would like to hear from anyone that has experience with it. Thinking about building a new tower, replacing the one that's on the boat now and has the wind gen on it, and have two solar panels along with the wind gen on the new one, it doesn't have a wndlass, going to get one, and replace the ground tackle, leaning towards a 35# Manson Supreme and using all chain for the primary, so much to do and can't really get started until July.