Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 03:37   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Favorite Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderless View Post
Why avoid the canoe stern models?

Thanks
First of all, canoe sterns waste a lot of space pinching down--with a large transom you get more interior volume and lazzarette space for the size, and well as better deck space aft.
Second, they make it hard to mount things like outboard brackets, windvanes, sculling oar sockets, etc. Sure, those difficulties are commonly overcome by using a whole bunch of tubing and articulating bases, but often you end up with a really cluttered, pinched-down aft end, and sometimes even a flat platform built out over the stern to make up for the room a transom would have provided anyway.
Third, canoe sterns have absolutely no seaworthyness advantages over square transoms. People will argue this, but they're wrong.
Fourth (and weakest reason), I think canoe sterns are just ugly. It's probably because I hate all unpractical affectations, and if ever there was an unpractical affectation, it's a canoe stern.

Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 17:23   #17

Boat: Sabre 402

Though it might not be considered an absolutely full-keel boat, we had a good time taking an Ohlson 38 transatlantic. OHLSON 38 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com It handles nicely in just about all conditions. We found tt moves along well in light air and holds up in heavy stuff (40 knots and 20'waves)t too. There's enough stowage for long trips (22 days with a crew of 6) and it looks good setting off and when it gets there. At the shorter end, we also sailed an H-28 ketch for many years. Spartan, but seakindly and forgiving. Lots of options in the size range you've provided.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 17:46   #18

Boat: Allegro 33

My favorite full keel boat is the one I own. We have been cruising 2 years now and would not trade here for any other boat. So forgiving in any weather which I think is a very important factor when sailing with small crew.
This boat does not suffer from weather helm like many other. This makes here sail like a dream with the windwane. So steady it's not critical how you trim the sails.
The boat make is an Allegro 33, a typical Scandinavian double ender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allegro33.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	147750  
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 15:47   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Here are a few of the Cheoy Lee Luders 30:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2669.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	148676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6204.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	148677  

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	148678  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 22:27   #20

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

I like most of Charlie Morgan's designs. The Morgan Out Island 33 is a long keel boat with a keel hung rudder. Only draws 4 feet, not a canoe stern and very beamy, around 12 ft. Feels like you are on a 38 footer below, the deck is wide and fairly flat, giving you lots of room below and plenty of stowage and ventilation.
Yes, wished it had a centerboard at times but it can be added somehow alongside that keel. Sails well enough, although not a racer but for going to windward, it has a 50 horsepower diesel that works as well as in a trawler. Oops, a trawler is almost like a stinkboat but maybe you can compare it as distant cousins of the Westsail 32 and the expensive Island Packets.
Well, for me, it does everything pretty well in a small package. Thanks for asking us for our favorite 'full keel' boat. You will get many opinions.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 22:34   #21

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Alberg 37 is a very stout, well built, seakindly keel boat-cut away fore foot like most glass boats, with a very loyal following of owners and prior owners. Nowadays these boats can sometimes be found in the $25k to $35k price range, with decent equipment.

You mentioned the Rhodes bounty II 41' LOA. Fantastic, stout, well built sea boat. Fast and stable due to waterline length, relatively narrow beam and deep keel , and plenty of working room on deck and in the cockpit to expedite passage making. Be cAreful what you wish for though. The boom is maybe over 15' long! Which makes for a pretty stiff battle every time you raise or lower or reef the main-particularily if you sail shorthanded or singlehanded, as I do. The low aspect rig-e.g. Long boom is the reason I did not buy a very nice Bounty couple of years ago. I realized I wasn't up to handling that much sail anymore - but was 65 at the time. So stayed with my Alberg 30, with its 'mere' 12' loose footed mainsail.

If you want to experience one of the finest keel boats ever made, find a Laurent Giles Vertue and see if you can go for a ride. Only 25' LOA, but these boats are truly remarkable. Four have been taken on circumnavigation. One, Kainui, did back to back to circumnavigation with two succeeding owners. Numerous, mostly all have completed long ocean passages-some of epic proportions. The newer plastic versions -Vertue II are around also. Lot smaller than what you asked about, but an experience worth having, even if it is only for afternoon.

Finally the Alberg 30 is as good a sea boat as the Vertue. Although a bit under appreciated due to age and a bit small compared to today's large (and expensive) cruising boat designs. Four have circumnavigated - singlehanded -thus far, while mine is halfway round under a new owner. currently anchored in Hong Kong after 10,000 mile voyage from Seattle to Hawaii, South Pacific, and The Philippines. These boats can be found on the cheap if you want to spend several years refitting for an ocean crossing. Or a couple are available, fully found in the low $20k price range.

Good luck on your search!
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 22:42   #22

Boat: 10' surfboard

In the following order:

Pilot Cutter, flush deck

Archer Redningskoite

Atkin Ingrid 38, wood construction, Ketch
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 23:20   #23

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I haven't sailed on a lot of them, but... Endeavor was fun, the J-Class yacht.
Her aside, I was impressed with a mate's Cape George 36'. Particularly given that I was a full time racer then (pro), & lived on a Ranger 33'. His boat sailed incredibly well in all of 7-10kts of breeze, especially given her displacement, coupled with her moderate sail area.

Neat boats, albeit not roomy inside, especially when you consider their OAL with the sprit. And I could pass on the teak decks. But years later I got to know Cecil Lange, their builder. Nice gent. Wish I'd have had the time to become his apprentice. But you know hindsight. DOH!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 01:28   #24

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Yeah, I love the Cape Georges, I have done some sailimg on a very nice Tally Ho Major, and she is a lovely boat.

Probably my favorite is the Alajuela 38.

I also habe a real soft spot for the Joshua class.
Old 01-06-2017, 19:21   #25

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Another vote for the Alberg 37. I owned hull #7, Tempus Fugit for 3 years and enjoyed every minute of sailing season on Lake Ontario.
Any of the boats designed by Carl Alberg deserve consideration in the full keel finals.
I have raced offshore sailboats for 25+ years flat bottom fin keels. Yep they are fast, they point better, accelerate faster, blah blah blah. I like slicing into waves, not slapping them and besides is there really a rush to get there?

I am still sailing a full (VERY full) keeled Hans Christian 43.
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 16:39   #26

Boat: 1978 trident warrior 35

I like my 35ft trident warrior. Predicting lots of fun Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_190558.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	150798Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_143157.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	150799and I still have to attach rudder and go over the 3qm30 yanmar, so will be next year before she gets to the water. And probably a year after that before she sees blue water [emoji29] [emoji29] [emoji22]
warrior35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 06:43   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

gotta love anything designed by bill garden... excellent cruisers.
robert perry designed many beautiful and capable full keeled boats as well.
so many to choose from.
all you need is to hone your sailing skills and sail everything so you know what it is you prefer to sail. we cannot do that for ye.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 07:32   #28

Boat: 1978 trident warrior 35

The warrior was designed by Albert primrose I believe
warrior35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:06   #29

I wasnt going to comment on this, but I see that the OP loved his IF (Folkboat) and I had previously cruised a Contessa 26 which is very similar. I had been out cruising for a year or so and had just arrived in the Marquesas. I had 2 footitis real bad. The Contessa sailed like a dream, but Damn it was small. At anchor was what I thought was the most beautiful boat I had ever seen. It looked like a giant Contessa. Long, low, narrow, transom hung rudder. It turned out to be an old wooden Laurant Giles 40 footer (named Lissa) that Herb and Nancy Payson were delivering to Los Angeles. It was supposedly going to be used as a mold for going into production. It turned out to be a leaky boat with a dead engine, but Herb and Nancy and their 10 year old son were desperate for the delivery money so they took off for L.A. with no motor, no electrics and needing to pump regularly. The cruisers in the anchorage made bets that they would never be seen again. I ran into Herb a year later and it turned out that the boat sailed wonderfully, and they had a pretty good delivery. Looking back I realize that the boat probably had less room than a Catalina 30 but it was beautiful and sailed wonderfully. Would I own a long keel boat again? Yes! if it wasnt a barge with masts. You can have good sailing boats with long or short keels if they are designed right in the first place. Giles was a great designer. Just my thoughts. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 10:36   #30

Kadey Krogan 38. Long keel. 3' draft board up, 6'3" board down.
normdeeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel