Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 09:39   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Favorite Full Keel

The first one hasn't splashed yet, but Bob Perry has four custom 40' carbon full keels in series build right now with molds available for more. Given his history of full keel designs I would have to put them close to the top of the list for now.

Think a modern full keeper with modern engineering, materials, high quality construction, etc... but with a full keel.

Still not my type of boat, but it will hopefully be a best in class example when finished. The first is hitting the paint shed this week.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:04   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The first one hasn't splashed yet, but Bob Perry has four custom 40' carbon full keels in series build right now with molds available for more. Given his history of full keel designs I would have to put them close to the top of the list for now.

Think a modern full keeper with modern engineering, materials, high quality construction, etc... but with a full keel.

Still not my type of boat, but it will hopefully be a best in class example when finished. The first is hitting the paint shed this week.
Given that weight is not an issue for full-keelers (at least not down low like in the hull), I wonder why carbon was chosen. Given the price difference between it and glass, there has to be a really compelling reason other than weight savings that it was used.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:45   #48

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Ben, over on Sailnet there's an ongoing thread about these boats, from the initial designing through the construction. Bob Perry explains a lot of the design decisions and construction techniques. These are very special boats for a client with very special demands. I suspect they are not going to sail like your typical full-keeler!!

Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters - SailNet Community
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:10   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Ben, over on Sailnet there's an ongoing thread about these boats, from the initial designing through the construction. Bob Perry explains a lot of the design decisions and construction techniques. These are very special boats for a client with very special demands. I suspect they are not going to sail like your typical full-keeler!!

Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters - SailNet Community
Thanks for that link! My only comment is--and not to be unkind to the enthusiasts--that is not exactly a full keel. The huge cutaway precludes it's being so. Also, tight bilges like that don't usually make for comfy motion at sea. Maybe the carbon is a dodge to mitigate the keel-as-afterthought look.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Thanks for that link! My only comment is--and not to be unkind to the enthusiasts--that is not exactly a full keel. The huge cutaway precludes it's being so. Also, tight bilges like that don't usually make for comfy motion at sea. Maybe the carbon is a dodge to mitigate the keel-as-afterthought look.
Yes, I suppose it's not a true "full keel" in the technical sense, but the term has come to cover most long keels with an attached rudder (which is not even the case with these carbon cutters- they have balanced transom spade rudders, but with a protective bridge between the keel and rudder).

I'm not sure what you mean by "keel as an afterthought". Bob designed the boat as a full keel boat, at the request of the client. I suspect they will sail extremely well. I'd love one of them! (But perhaps scaled down to 35ft).
Old 05-07-2017, 06:03   #51
Marine Service Provider

By "keel as afterthought" I mean a hull form just kind of rounded, with a long, narrow fore-and-aft fin stuck on. Island Packet does this as well. There is a definite place where hull ends and keel begins. I like more slack bilges, where the hull gradually becomes a keel without a clearly visible transition. Look at a Lyle Hess Falmouth 34 for my favorite example of this.
I agree that nowadays "full keel" seems to mean whatever people want, but I can still wish that more precise terms were employed....
Old 05-07-2017, 13:24   #52

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
By "keel as afterthought" I mean a hull form just kind of rounded, with a long, narrow fore-and-aft fin stuck on. Island Packet does this as well. There is a definite place where hull ends and keel begins. I like more slack bilges, where the hull gradually becomes a keel without a clearly visible transition. Look at a Lyle Hess Falmouth 34 for my favorite example of this.
I agree that nowadays "full keel" seems to mean whatever people want, but I can still wish that more precise terms were employed....
Well that's one thing I love about my boat, even though it goes unseen and I am not sure how much it contributes to performance. To me it is just a beautiful work of "long keel" sculpture and artistry by the architect and the model makers from the military (in my boat's case) who formed the first molds...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1364.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	151291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	151292  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 21:11   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Given that weight is not an issue for full-keelers (at least not down low like in the hull), I wonder why carbon was chosen. Given the price difference between it and glass, there has to be a really compelling reason other than weight savings that it was used.
The primary reason is that the hulls will be orders of magnitude stronger than a fiberglass hull would be, plus massively amounts of redundant stiffness. The weight savings are you mention won't be all that substantial.

On the other hand this is a guy who ordered four identicle boats so I doubt he I should scrimping for pennies.

Using carbon added about $25,000 per boat (according to Bob) if I remember correctly.

Old 06-07-2017, 00:58   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

One can only wonder what the hell he is gonna do with those 4 idiosyncratic vessels? Set three of them up as drones and have his own regattas? The "idle rich" do some weird things... or maybe he has some scheme where they will make him some profit (yeah, sure!... profit from a yacht!).

I reckon that Bob P is having a good time with this project!

Jim
Old 06-07-2017, 10:23   #55
Marine Service Provider

Jim,

I think it's buried in the thread, but I believe the plan is to scatter them around the world where the owners like to go. So instead of sailing across the Pacific to get to the South Pacific you just fly in spend a few weeks doing whatever, then fly off to the Med for the next leg.... who knows.

But Bob did mention that the molds are available for another build if anyone wants one, and switching from carbon to glass wouldn't be a big deal.

Old 06-07-2017, 13:54   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Jim,

I think it's buried in the thread, but I believe the plan is to scatter them around the world where the owners like to go. So instead of sailing across the Pacific to get to the South Pacific you just fly in spend a few weeks doing whatever, then fly off to the Med for the next leg.... who knows.

But Bob did mention that the molds are available for another build if anyone wants one, and switching from carbon to glass wouldn't be a big deal.
I believe they are for the client's children, but I'd have to go back and confirm on the thread.

I'd love one of these boats! The yard that's making them is doing spectacular work (money is no object). It must be nice to have a boat designed and built just for you ...
Old 08-08-2017, 06:38   #57

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

CAPE GEORGE CUTTER, William Atkin design
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02   #58

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

My favorite is the Block Island 40
Old 08-08-2017, 18:22   #59

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
My favorite is the Block Island 40
Ah so you did buy her! I missed that. So, don't hold us in suspense, how does she sail? Have you taken her out?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 19:20   #60

Boat: Leopard 39

I always loved Hans Christians.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel