Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 16:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Experts, Have Fun at My Expense

OK, who knows what and expert is?

An expert is someone who is not her husband!

We are looking at two radically different boats. The ultimate purpose of the boat is to do two things:
1. Provide a cruising platform - someday.
2. Provide a way to get out of Dodge when TSHTF. Destination Newfoundland (family and property.) So must be go any time capable.

She wants: Aluminum, pilot house, hot water shower, beachable, <$140,000
He wants: Her to go to the far ends of the earth and her to pay for the boat.
(Neither wants glass)
Compromise: Buy a boat, take 3-day weekends and sail on the Chesapeake for a couple of years and see how it goes. Then????

She, who gets seasick in a swell - 43 Aluminum schooner

1997 Custom Pilothouse Schooner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

He. who is afraid of dying ashore - 44 Steel Pape

1984 Custom Alan Pape Cornwall England Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thus is the state of our wedded bliss that we have come to this.

Other than serious marriage counseling (already there - thank you much) what advice do the pundits and experts of this august body have to say?

Which boat should we buy and why?

All advice gleefully accepted. Don't take this too serious, all advice is worth exactly what it cost. I just thought you might have fun telling us how crazy we are in "oh so many ways."
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 16:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Easy Peasie. Think :: North Sea Maritime :: Alubat Ovni Alubat Cigale
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 17:00   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Buy what she wants and consider yourself a very fortunate man she is willing to do this at all.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 17:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Buy what she wants and consider yourself a very fortunate man she is willing to do this at all.
Second that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The first thing that comes to mind is a catamaran with two different hulls.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:19   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
She wants: Aluminum, pilot house, hot water shower, beachable, <$140,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
He wants: Her to go to the far ends of the earth and her to pay for the boat.
(Neither wants glass)

HI

You sound like you still learing the concept of modern boats. You have just cut out 97% or all modern, well found, cruising boats.

There is only one boat that is Aluminium and beachable, and the ex-owner of one, Jimmy Cornel has said you need to pay a high amount for it. $140k for what you want is ridiculously low.

You want a boat that can go now. But your funds are limited to one that would need massive amounts of work.

A beachable boat means no heavy keel with means there must be more motion affecting a seasick person.

I have NEVER seen a beachable boat beached. They all anchor in deeper water. Why? Because as the tide goes out the boat bangs up and down and the sand is never soft and that free of rocks. They would end up with dents or holes.

Why are ther virtually no schooners out there?

I think you need to asses why the vast vast vast majority of people are cruising in fibreglass boats and why you assume they are all mistaken.

One of the things I like about our set up is that I can be first out of the marina and away than any other boat. We see boats that take hours to make ready for sea. Some take weeks or months! We have a secure knowledge our engine will fire, our windlass will work and our dock lines are ready to be cast. I think its all about attitude and having a modern boat and modern equipment. Also, of course, keeping the tanks topped off, provisions and emergency provisions and water. And we have NO deck structures. Our tarp is on shockcord with clips and comes off in under 30 seconds; anything tied is tied with slip knots.

You can do more extraordinary things on an ordinary boat. Why? Because its less expensive.

All the best

Mark
PS I wrote a piece about an amregeddon boat for another thread where the people new to sailing wanted a boat they would feel safe in:

Quote:
We met some cool people who couldn’t sail prior to cruising but were asking similar questions.
They bought this huge boat off a weirdo religious sect who were going to save a few people during Armageddon to repopulate the world ---- I kid you not!

The boat is SENSATIONAL!!!!!! 2 inch thick solid fibreglass EVERYWHERE! All steel wire rope is 3 or 4 sizes larger than necessary. Below there are all these labelled storage bins: Nuts 100kgs, UHT Milk 108 litres, etc etc all through the boat. These huge (and I mean HUGE) draws slid out right across the salon 10 foot long with space for provisions.

To say that a family could survive on here for 5 years was an understatement… it was DESIGNED for food for 5 years!

And of course designed to be tossed in Gods Wrath of post apocalyptic oceans for those 5 years.

Blue water? This boat reeked BLUE WATER! The spinnaker poles could be street side light poles, the masts (ketch, of course) were like rain forest trees.
We never saw the sails but they were probably built of steel coated Dacron.

Every instrument had multiple back ups. I think there were 2 generators, 3+ GPS, lots of everything including 4,000 litres of fuel and 2,000 litres of water (and water maker)

A storm could hit this boat and it would be impervious. Unsinkable. Unmovable.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrgh! There she be! Unmovable.

Unmovable.

Expensive, unmanageable, unmaintainable and unmovable.

20 knots up the Kyber Pass and still the boat won't go!

The people who own this boat and really nice folks. And are doing really well with it, and are very happy with their boat, as so they should be. I’m just using them as an example.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:23   #7

Boat: Westsail 32
Count your blessings to have a wife who wants to sail - they're a rare breed. And get what SHE wants or you'll never hear the end of it. (And if what she wants and gets turns out to be a dog, you are not allowed to complain or be negative - there are better ways to trade it out for a better boat.)
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 20:13   #8

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
go to sea when TSHTF??!! seriously, theres a reason nearly the entire worlds population live on land,the ocean is one of, if not the most, inhospitable environments on the planet. Survival in a post-apocalyptic world would depend largely on simplicity,and life on land is simpler,if not as rewarding.

just my 5 cents
creakyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 20:43   #9

Boat: Cascade
wait are you going to sail to Newfoundland when TSHTF from Philly? What type of SHTF do you expect to come down and why wouldn't TSHTF in Newfoundland? I think there could be a lot of SHTF there too. And if your going to run away from TSHTF you may want a powerboat.

Otherwise IF SHE IS GOING TO BUY YOU A $140,000 boat and sail with you.. smile accept it and rub her feet.
Old 03-11-2009, 21:16   #10
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
I like this one:

1984 Custom Alan Pape Cornwall England Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

But you may not like her so much on the Chesapeake. she's an "aim and go" boat, not a sail around in fluky Chessie winds boat.

The no-keel schooner just doesn't seem right to me.
Just my 2c.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 21:20   #11
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I think you need to asses why the vast vast vast majority of people are cruising in fibreglass boats and why you assume they are all mistaken.

Oh, that's easy- collective hypnosis.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 00:15   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
No sails, but fibreglass..

How about this:- 1980 Kadley Krogen42 stabilised.

Well, you did say you wanted to be able to get up and go soon, something very comfortable. Didn't specify sails.

It is fibreglass though. Going to be hard to get a comfortable boat, ready to go, that isn't fibreglass.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 00:34   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is a catamaran .
My thoughts too. The wifey suffers sea sickness, then a cat might be a solution but you need to know for sure. So charter a cat somewhere nice for a weeks holiday and see how you get along.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 00:39   #14

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'd be a third vote to suggest you let your lady make the decision and you go with her. The ultimate!

Sadly engineering needed to make a strong swing keel in an aluminium hull (which I agree is a top material) makes it a specification probably above your budget. Suggest best compromise is to keep the alloy material and go with a fixed keel.

Good luck

JOHN
Old 04-11-2009, 02:39   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
.......wait are you going to sail to Newfoundland when TSHTF from Philly? What type of SHTF do you expect to come down and why wouldn't TSHTF in Newfoundland?
That is for when the Sheese hits the fan in Philly...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote