Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 12:51   #1

Boat: Sea Ray 440
Decision Time NOW!

Looks like I have settled in on a 1986 Catalina Morgan 43 Center Cockpit. Traveled to Florida this last weekend and did a personal inspection and have a tenetive agreement on a price. The current owner has been very proactive with maintenance and has replaced/rebeded all hatches and windows so the boat is supposedly very dry (I understand these boats had a reputation for leaking ports and hatches). The boat is in fairly good cosmetic shape. There are some gel coat stress cracks in the deck and a bit of fadding which should be able to be corrected with a good buffing/wax job. Thehull looks good and the bottom was recently done. The Perkins 4-108 has 1300 hours and appears to be well taken care of. Down side is there is only the original main, origianl 130 genie and a recent asymetical spinaker. I didn't have the opportunity to inspect the sails (that will be done when I have it surveyed) It is equiped with average electronics (VHF and a SIMRAD integrated system with GPS chart ploter, depth sounder, wind instruments and Auto pilot). The scary thing is the owner has done a lot of system upgrades and modifcations but didn't maintain any diagrams of how they are wired or plumbed. Lots of wiring that isn't labeled and obvious at to origin or destination.
Still looking for anyone out there who has experience with Catalina Morgans and any advice.
CaptJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 13:36   #2

Re: Decision Time NOW!

They seem like nice boats, if in good condition.

If all the wiring was well-labeled, what would you do as a new owner?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 12:22   #3

O.K. Not much help here at a tough decision. Perhaps I should ask... What do you think the boat is worth, given no major surpirses?
Old 21-01-2015, 13:19   #4

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Sails: MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 13:21   #5

It's worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it is the simple answer. Just do your due diligence . Get it surveyed , look in every nook and cranny using a flashlight. Compare it to other boats in the price range. Boat prices are all over the place so your asking a question that can not be answered so easily. If the wiring is your only concern then not a deal breaker IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 13:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have to echo what BrantleyChuck said. I'm not really familiar with the Catalina Morgans but the Morgans built by Morgan in Florida are decent boats. You aren't buying a Rolls Royce but they are good boats.

I see three like this for sale on the internet, listed around $85-$95K so there's one benchmark.

In the case of a specific boat I would base my valuation on the condition and the cost to repair any serious or expensive problems. A few that could cost a lot in very round numbers.

- new engine or rebuild, but a 4-108 with 1300 hours if well maintained should have many years of life left.

- new standing rigging. For that boat should not cost over $4000.

- new sails. If you buy brand new figure $3-$4K each for main and genoa. Other sails less.

- deck leaks and wet or rotted core. BIG ONE. If bad this could be a huge fix. Check this very closely. Look around every deck fitting: stanchions, winches, blocks, anything attached to the deck.

- hull deck joint. another potential biggy.

- hull blisters. 95% of the time they are easily dealt with but could cost 5-$10K for a full fix. If there have been botched repairs or there are really deep ones then could be big money.

- bulkheads. Make sure none of the structural bulkheads are damaged, wet, rotted and where they are glassed to the hull is good.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 17:54   #7

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41
Decision Time NOW!

I own a 1988 Catalina Morgan 41 centre cockpit. I realize it's not the same boat, and to be honest, I don't know much about the 43. I had a look at a couple of 43's listed on yacht world, and other than LOA, and some interior layout, they appear to be pretty similar. I love my boat ( of course we all love our boats), it's well built, strong, and, with the modified keel introduced by Catalina, it sails to windward much better than the non Catalina versions. They have roomy interiors, and cockpits, making them very comfortable at anchor. The 23000 lbs of displacement also makes it a very stable boat. Needless to say, I would not hesitate to buy another Morgan. Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 10:52   #8

Morgan Sailor, thanks for the reply... Looks like this might be a done deal. Survey went well with just a couple of issues that we should be able to work out with the seller. Hope to close in the next week or so, then start thinking about when to sail it north from Stuart Fl to Norfolk Va. With the weather lately, I think I will leave it in Fl for a couple of months. I am sure I will have some manufacture specific question for a knowledgable owner like yourself. Thanks again!

Old 27-01-2015, 11:25   #9

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41

Glad to hear it's going well, you will love that boat once you are out on the water with her. By the way, when the wind gets up to 20 knots, and everyone else starts reefing, keep your sails full, that's when she really gets going.

Oh, and the other boaters really like it when you stand at your stern, and wave hello as you pass them.

I'm never quite sure what they're saying, but there sure are a lot of hand gestures.
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote