Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 13:03   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: compiling data from Sailboatdata.com

Keep in mind there were 2 versions of the Triton sloop, Pearson’s fractional rig with jumper and Aeromarine’s masthead rig which would change the numbers somewhat.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:07   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah but I don’t think they added a foot to the loa.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Send him a note. He’s very happy to be told about any errors.
Done!
Old 02-11-2018, 13:18   #19

very cool, was not aware of this site. thanks.
lk240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:32   #20

first attempt at a google sheet. we'll see if it works.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 03-11-2018, 02:34   #21

it appears to be not working properly in google sheets, will keep exploring...
Old 03-11-2018, 08:30   #22
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

You need to set Read Only access to Public
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Keep in mind there were 2 versions of the Triton sloop, Pearson’s fractional rig with jumper and Aeromarine’s masthead rig which would change the numbers somewhat.
Totally different boats from different eras.

The original Triton was an early 60s full keeler. The 80s model was a rebranded US27 from the mold picked up by Pearson when Bayliner shut down its US Yachts line.

Never sailed the earlier version but my first boat was 1982 US27. Great and very under valued boat if you ask me. It's associan with Bayliner (and its unrelated to USY Buccaneer line) did much for that undervalued status. Mine was as well built as a Sabre but for a fraction of Sabre's price used. A tiny fraction. ))

Too bad US Yachts lack of brand name desirability means there are very few well cared for specimens on the market.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:52   #24

thanks for the interest for those who have replied and looked at the file. I'm still learning Google Sheets so my apologies if folks have tried to use the file and it didn't work. I'm continuing to work on this to see if it can work well or not.

Just some more info on the motivation for the file and what I had in mind for how it would work. I was in the process of researching boats to buy and had no knowledge of sailing/boat specs starting 2 years ago so I wanted a way to compare across a lot of different boats I was considering. I found that I couldn't keep all the #s in my head and having some rudimentary excel skills thought I would try to pull data from SBD.com and compile it so you can scan the data across multiple boats.

The most immediate way I was aware of that I could get the data was to simply copy and paste from the SBD webpage. The problem here is that not all boats have the same variables listed so it's not possible to copy a clean, consistent variable list for each boat. This is why you have to do some copying/pasting in Excel to get the data to line up properly.

So the way the file works is (see instructions sheet): 1. you copy and paste the data from SBD webpage into a single column in the excel file. 2 (columns P through Y in Main Sheet). Then you have to move some of the data "down" the column because if a variable is blank or not there on the SBD webpage (i.e., Draft minimum, Last Built, # Built, Engine Model) then it won't line up properly. Once you get the data lined up properly in the column so that the variable heading matches the reference heading (column O), it then gets pulled into the Main Sheet columns D thru M so you can see it formatted neatly and clearly. I'm sure there are better ways to do this but this is what I was able to figure a relatively quick and easy way to compare the data. I also have in mind creating some figures/charts that would auto populate and that is ongoing.

I think I've now set the file to be editable by anyone so that one can enter data relevant for boats of interest. Google sheet experts please chime in...

thanks,
Old 04-11-2018, 08:22   #25
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Not checking the functionality within the sheets, but the file itself is now accessible, and in general looks like great functionality.

Good job!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 13:23   #26

Here's another calculator, very easy to use when you're just looking for the basics:

https://nsc.ca/web2/library/tools/ke...cs-calculator/
Old 05-11-2018, 14:50   #27

LS,
Looks very good and complete!
I would suggest to add a sort of calculator of comfort and seaworthy as described in the UK magazine ? If you are interested I can send the article to you (maver@hetnet.nl)

Martin V.
Maver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 17:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Water View Post
Here's another calculator, very easy to use when you're just looking for the basics:

https://nsc.ca/web2/library/tools/ke...cs-calculator/
I went and tried it. Interesting. Not sure how much I agree with results though for my own boat. My boat came out as "stiff" for B/D ratio. It's not really stiff because of its narrow hull and the distance of the CoG (Gravity) from the CoB (Buoyancy) should be in there somehow. If my ballast were deeper, in a deeper keel, it would be stiffer. My boat is definitely resistant to staying inverted though, but that is not the same as ability to resist to capsize is it? Maybe. And the motion comfort ratio, who knows what the heck that means. I have my own notions for that one. Don't mean to sound too critical. Maybe I am too picky. It was fun to play with, but I wouldn't use it to judge a boat I was considering purchasing and knew nothing about.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat