Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2017, 13:22   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Bob Bitchin Shannon 52

Quote:
Do not assume accessories or equipment for this vessel may be in storage. This vessel is being sold as seen. Bid for this boat according to what she has when you view her.
Keep this in mind when you think it is such a great deal.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 13:29   #32

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Good point DeepFrz - it was definitely what you see, is what you get...I also recall that if you have the winning bid the Salvage folks require movement of the boat in 3-5 days from the date of purchase. So line up your potential shipper prior to your bidding just in case.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 13:51   #33
cruiser

Fugly boat. The new engines have some value.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 15:10   #34

Boat: Tayana 47

Tough situation. Can't help but feel bad for the owner because it sounds like he got royally screwed over and that's what led to this.

I think most hulls would look sort of ugly without a waterline/boot stripe or paint or hardware or hatches, etc. so I will withhold judgment on the boats potential for good looks once it's finished.

But even if someone pays only $150K for it, and then spends another $200k finishing it, I can't see it being worth much more than $350K. I think for a boat like this a lot will depend on the quality of the work of whoever ends up finishing it. If it's a do it yourselfer, even a pretty skilled one, I doubt if the finished product will be able to compete successfully in the marketplace with Hinckley or an Oyster (go to Yachtworld and check out Oyster 53 "asking" prices) or many other high quality production sailboats of that length that people pay the numbers of dollars he's talking. And if the new owner hires a yard to finish it that's capable of top quality workmanship in all areas, it seems to me that would cost more than $200K and it'll still be sort of an orphan and the buyer will know he can't expect any factory support or customer service like you can get when you buy a boat from a company that's still in business. If Shannon Yachts was still known to be a viable, elite yacht builder, then that would make a big difference, but unfortunately, that's just a memory. Hopefully, someone can make the numbers work and will buy this project and make it into the boat it has the potential to be.

It's a real shame that Bitchin Bob won't be able to enjoy his dream boat, and now must be subjected to seeing it being sold off for pennies on the dollar.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 16:54   #35

I remember reading about when Bob was selling Lost Soul. He said that they were selling because the boat was too big and too complicated. Next thing you know, he's having a bigger and more complex boat built!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 17:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I remember reading about when Bob was selling Lost Soul. He said that they were selling because the boat was too big and too complicated. Next thing you know, he's having a bigger and more complex boat built!
According to the link about this situation, Lost Soul was 65' and this boat is 52'. I guess "complication" is yet to be determined depending on how it's finished off.
Old 29-08-2017, 17:32   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Guys, it's a Shannon... everyone I've ever seen was VERY well built. I'll talk with Bob, get some answers to questions here, and post them. My guess is that if it's professionally finished to match the layup and the cabinetry to date (I'm sure it's much better than the pix seem as it was done by Shannon and not some weekend guy) it might be a good deal. I have my 60' boat or I'd be very tempted....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 18:12   #38

Stoopid question....

Why couldn't Shannon finish the boat and sell it? They are still in business and Walter Shulz is still kicking.

I read the sad story of Bob's loss of over a million bucks. I also read about the construction of this yacht and was VERY impressed!

Seems like a HUGE waste to let this yacht go for pennies on the dollar.

I'm sure I must've missed something along the way.
Old 29-08-2017, 19:47   #39

You're going to need that washer and dryer working to clean all of your work clothes for the next 2 years.
Shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 00:40   #40

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
The problem with self builds is when you have cash coming in you don't have the time and when you have the time NO CASH!
Never a truer word was spoken! I can personally attest to that.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Stoopid question....

Why couldn't Shannon finish the boat and sell it? They are still in business and Walter Shulz is still kicking.

I read the sad story of Bob's loss of over a million bucks. I also read about the construction of this yacht and was VERY impressed!

Seems like a HUGE waste to let this yacht go for pennies on the dollar.

I'm sure I must've missed something along the way.

Looking at their current website I see no sign of them still being in the business of building traditional sailboats. I think you're right though that IF they were and IF they thought even a small profit could be made, they'd be in the best possible position to take this project on. But they're not.....
Old 04-09-2017, 08:17   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Looking at their current website I see no sign of them still being in the business of building traditional sailboats. I think you're right though that IF they were and IF they thought even a small profit could be made, they'd be in the best possible position to take this project on. But they're not.....
I'm sure you're right.....after seeing this.....DEFIANCE 35 |Shannon Boat Company .....,

I figured Shannon Yachts would still be able to take on this project if there was a profit to be had.

I was just thinking what I would do if I had a yacht i designed and built sitting near my fully functioning shop. A yacht that could be had for cheap.

Again, I'm sure there is a lot more to the story I don't know about obviously.

Still a shame and a waste IMHO.