Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 21:15   #1

Boat: Hunter 340 34'
Off Topic. Many months (if not a year or more) to get a boat. In the interim?

Howdy!

I'm not desperate to get a boat, because frankly, I can't right now. Although, I do have a decent job and could get a mortgage for a pretty nice vessel (50k? Maybe 80?). I plan on spending 25k on the first boat, and apparently there is the 1/1 rule, so if I can find a nice toy for 25, that's fine too.

Reading a lot of blogs, what's the limit on age/insurance? I can't afford to lose everything. Liability isn't enough, I would require at least some compensation. I am curious about the current life expectancy and insurance on a boat nowadays.

I would like to buy the boat relatively soon, but don't have all the 101's. I was in the Navy, have taken boating safety courses (with no evidence). Will that count for anything? (plan on taking lessons and courses waaaay before I sail). I need to work on the boat, etc, and get things squared away because apparently, that's mandatory, not optional

The hard part is spending my time typing instead of working. Ping me once a month on this thread to remind me I still have a dreamer inside me somewhere.

Love you guys.

-Symo
Old 23-01-2017, 23:43   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Off Topic. Many months (if not a year or more) to get a boat. In the interim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fSymo View Post
Howdy!

I'm not desperate to get a boat, because frankly, I can't right now. Although, I do have a decent job and could get a mortgage for a pretty nice vessel (50k? Maybe 80?). I plan on spending 25k on the first boat, and apparently there is the 1/1 rule, so if I can find a nice toy for 25, that's fine too.

Reading a lot of blogs, what's the limit on age/insurance? I can't afford to lose everything. Liability isn't enough, I would require at least some compensation. I am curious about the current life expectancy and insurance on a boat nowadays. My boy, we used not to even have insurance. Are you sure you want to? Why?! Are you not responsible for your sea-going decisions? Are you not going to be as careful as the captains of yore?

I would like to buy the boat relatively soon, but don't have all the 101's. I was in the Navy, have taken boating safety courses (with no evidence). Will that count for anything? NO (plan on taking lessons and courses waaaay before I sail). I need to work on the boat, etc, and get things squared away because apparently, that's mandatory, not optional

The hard part is spending my time typing instead of working. Ping me once a month on this thread to remind me I still have a dreamer inside me somewhere. Don't know you well enough to have a clue if the dreamer's still inside. But the rewards from cruising are unknowable, till you do it. My Jim and I followed his dream. I have not regretted it.

Love you guys.

-Symo
If I can figure out how I can help you, I'll give it a go.

Ann
Old 24-01-2017, 06:54   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Off Topic. Many months (if not a year or more) to get a boat. In the interim?

do you know how to sail?? might be a good idea while you wait for the magical life changing boat to appear into your life by sailing all you can find with and without others.
then when the boat of your dreams comes to you you will have the ability to know and use it.
took me from 1990 until 2005 to find the boat i would use for cruising. it came to me moored next mooring over from mine. you never know-- in the mean time--sail sail sail. research-- try insurance companies --ask for info... be proactive. good word..hahaha

and listen to what ann told you ^^^^^
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 07:45   #4

Hi Ann,

It's not me I'm worried about, but I get your point. When I make it to the water, I'll be in no hurry. Primarily, this will be a retirement home, not just a boat. I guess if I lose it all I'll just have to get another boat and start over.

Zee,

Already working on those ideas. I just wish the sailing clubs were closer (and the weather warmer!).

Thanks for the input.
Old 24-01-2017, 07:58   #5

I'm in MA and my sailing buddy signs up annually for "frostbite racing" at the local club on the weekends during Dec, Jan and Feb (weather permitting and they don't sail out if it's way too cold or heavily snowing, etc). The fees are a fraction of the Summer rates, the learning curve is much steeper and the fun and the after the race parties are hardier. While this is not my thing, other then stopping by occasionally for the party part, he loves it. Check out your area for something similar.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 08:06   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

In a few months it'll be "reasonable" sailing weather in your area, why not find a boat to crew on regularly. A racer of whatever seriousness, or not, suits you. It'll be a way to get out on the water, get some documentable sea time, & do some sailing networking. Including garnering invites for trips on other boats, even if but simple deliveries of racers to & from events. Which, honestly, tend to be some of the best saiiing adventures out there. Meeting people, making memories, etc. And sailing invites are acquired in a geometric progression. The more you sail, the more invites & opportunities you get.

Also, it's a long shot, but if you spent any time at sea in the Navy, you may be able to count it, or some of it, on your resume for insurers & such. Plus with some of them, just having been USN active duty helps.

When it comes to boats, finding them isn't overly hard. Especially when you come up with a wish list, & allow others to help you in your search. The tougher part with boats is the time & money which goes into their upkeep, & outfitting. Which, with knowledge & experience becomes easier. And this is also true when it comes for shopping for the boat. You'll be more easily able to find boats that'll work, so long as they tick off most of the must have boxes on your wish list. Witness that good delivery skippers get hired for their ability to move many a vessel that the owner isn't comfortable sailing from point A to point B. It's their depth of knowledge & experience which allows for this.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:24   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a really nice boat, a Hunter Legend 35.5, almost new, very expensive (especially when you buy an american boat with canadian dollars). I sold it when my kids were born, and I wanted to stay home with my kids instead of doing boat maintenance or sailing alone.

But pretty soon, I wanted to go sailing again...so I started to look for something small, old and cheap...just so I could go out sailing a bit....just until the kids were older, with my intent to eventually get another large and expensive boat ($100k).

I was actually looking for a Tanzer 22 (great little boat) when I came across a C&C25 at a great price (loaded)...there's a whole story in that, but for now I'll shorten the story to...I bought it for around $5k.

Well, that little boat was a ton of fun. Sailing a big boat is fun too...but on the big boat I spent too much time maintaining all the systems and keeping the boat clean. In the end, it wasn't that different from being at home. But on the little boat, I was back into the wind and weather. I was closer to the water. There was an icebox, an origo stove, and a honda outboard. When the outboard failed, I took it off (to be repaired) and sailed anyway.

Long story short, I bought a cheap little boat to go sailing while I got ready to buy my "real" sailboat. And it was awesome. Its not the size of the boat that matters, but the magic in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portside.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	140045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5267.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	140046  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:12   #8

This is why I love this forum... so many great people out there with great advice, stories and experience!

There are sailing clubs down at the shore that have similar small craft available for cheap, if not free for members. I plan on joining one soon, just to meet people and try to get more practical experience.

Thanks for sharing your pics!
Old 24-01-2017, 13:27   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

fSymo,

I just re-read the first paragraph of your first post on this thread. You sound like someone saving up for a sports car you read about. Boats is different. Don't buy one with a mortgage, because boats only depreciate: not only do they not ever appreciate, they cost more money because of requiring repairs, and sometimes upgrading, berthing, and the insurance required by marinas. You have to be wealthy enough to need write-offs and whatnot to buy a boat with a mortgage, it is not for ordinary working folk. And, most people who just jump right in with no experience to go cruising don't last very long, because they don't know how to fix things for themselves or get seasick too much, or find that a cruising life style isn't for them. There is an old saw about what cruising means: fixing your boat in other ports. Lots of truth to that.

Really, the best thing is to start sailing and see if it teaches you how to sail. zeehag was lucky to learn sailing as a child, and my guess is that it's like talking, to her, knowing what to do and when, just flows. For her, it was an elder in the family who taught her. For me, I learned by being novice crew on other people's boats. [For this, show up on time or a mite early, with a friendly, helpful, generous attitude, and you will learn a lot.]

If trial and error does not work as a learning method for you, try lessons, and then practice some more. A small boat is the best first boat. You'll know when you're ready to move up. Through the process of sailing, and being on boats, and many different boats, you'll work out what your personal preferences are. Pay NO attention to advertising. Develop your independence on all levels.

Ann
Old 24-01-2017, 13:44   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Just a note, if you are thinking of going the cruiser path the only reason to get a cruiser boat more than a year before time to leave is because you are going to sail it! Otherwise it is just something to maintain and suck money out of you. In cruising on a sailboat the sailing part is pretty easy and the rest is 90+% learning by doing and that only happens on its' schedule.
Old 24-01-2017, 13:48   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fSymo View Post
This is why I love this forum... so many great people out there with great advice, stories and experience!

There are sailing clubs down at the shore that have similar small craft available for cheap, if not free for members. I plan on joining one soon, just to meet people and try to get more practical experience.

Thanks for sharing your pics!
I keep telling people who want to learn to sail to look for a yacht club with an active racing program within striking distance of them and volunteer to crew. You don't have to join the yacht club, you don't have to take lessons, all you have to do is be reliable at showing up, personable, and willing to learn. If it's a club that races big boats, even better, as there will be more demand for crew and more to learn.

Racing makes a better sailor out of you, period. You'll learn more about sail trim, boat handling, safety, riggings, etc. than you ever will in a course, and you'll learn it better. You may even learn stuff about maintenance and some general seamanship as it relates to sailing.

I've raced since I was a kid, and I learn something pretty much every time I go out. Still love it.

Just stay away from the skippers that yell a lot and get frustrated. They are the worst.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 15:20   #12

Boat: Tartan 3000

If you set your budget low, maybe 5k, you can pick up a nice little pocket cruiser. Insurance if any will be dirt cheap.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 17:38   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In cruising on a sailboat the sailing part is pretty easy and the rest is 90+% learning by doing and that only happens on its' schedule.
I've always thought that sailing is 90% knowing where everything is on your boat! Easy to prove...just listen to your guests on board...."where is that?..which one is that?...where does that go?"...
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 22:25   #14

Not looking for a sports car. Apparently insuring a used boat is taboo (how again do you park in a marina without insurance that requires it?).

Not necessarily opting out of getting a boat sooner than later. Just wanted some opinions about it is all (and I know that as I hang out with sailors at the shore (that's the coast in Jersey terms), in due time, i'll probably find good peeps, good boats, and good advice). I've found the model I want, I just don't have the cash for it right NOW. Ideally, I want the boat, drive the boat, learn the boat, fix the boat. I have a day job, and the Sea is a long drive from here.

As for the mortgage, I don't think a 10 year mortgage for a viable boat is a bad idea. You can write off the interest, and claim it as a residence and write a ton a of stuff off. But that's dumb, I guess.

Not to mention, it'll be a business venture so I may be able to buy a whole new boat and write if off as an expense.

Of course I will be taking sailing lessons and joining a sailing club, and have been doing the research. I have lots of boating experience (any of y'all helm an aircraft carrier, pilot a motor whaleboat, captain's gig or Admirals' barge? No? Yeah. I'm just not a sailboat captain yet. I'll be okay, I promise.

You don't learn to love the sea, you love the sea and go to it. If you have to learn to love her, you shouldn't be with her. I know this.

Thank you all for the input, and I'll see y'all on the high seas.
Old 25-01-2017, 04:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Well, that little boat was a ton of fun. Sailing a big boat is fun too...but on the big boat I spent too much time maintaining all the systems and keeping the boat clean. In the end, it wasn't that different from being at home. But on the little boat, I was back into the wind and weather. I was closer to the water. There was an icebox, an origo stove, and a honda outboard. When the outboard failed, I took it off (to be repaired) and sailed anyway.

Long story short, I bought a cheap little boat to go sailing while I got ready to buy my "real" sailboat. And it was awesome. Its not the size of the boat that matters, but the magic in it.
So true. When I had my first boat, a 27 footer, I have sailed much more than the current 36 footer. The smaller boat was bare and spartan so it did not require much in the way of maintenance and whatnot. Even her engine was a one banger affair which one could easily crank by hand if needed. On the larger boat the first time we had to haul the anchor and chain up and 3 fairly robust guys each had a back pain afterwards (since we were taking turns) right away put a damper on my coastal sailing plans and necessitated installation of the electric windlass. Which in turn required time, money and effort, etc. And so on and so on. Now if you ask my g/f which boat works better for her "sailing needs" you'd get the opposite answer.

That's why as my "Florida vacation boat" I have chosen a 28 footer which is also somewhat spartan but still comfortable enough to spend long weekends on or take for 1 week cruises to Bahamas. Also a smaller boat which is used occasionally is significantly cheaper to keep than a boat even only 1/4 larger in size. The larger boat's running expenses will not be 1/4 more but easily X2 or higher.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat