Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2024, 22:57   #1

Tartan 3400 carbon boom delamination

New to this site. I have recently sold my loved BCC and am in the process of buying a 2006 Tartan 3400. While crawling over the boat I found a delamination of the carbon fiber boom at the attachment point of the gooseneck, due I believe to the profile of the stainless steel being different from the boom and the use of screws that are too short thus pulling the laminations apart. It is occurring on both sides. Has anyone else found this occurring on their Tartans. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BAABE2C-FB4E-49CF-83F7-A449046C73BE.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	290752  
NW Tartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 04:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Tartan 3400 carbon boom delamination

Greetings, and welcome aboard the CF, NW Tartan.

HTH:
[1]“Repair of Small-Area Delamination in Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Polymer through Small Drilled Hole and Carbon Nanotubes-Reinforced Resin Pre-Coating Technique”
Download ➥ https://www.mdpi.com/2304-6740/11/12/454
Quote:
“This study [1] explores the potential for repairing small, isolated delamination areas in carbon fiber-reinforced polymer (CFRP), while preserving the integrity of the composite structures. A small drilled hole at the center of the delamination section served as a channel for the epoxy infill of the sharp delamination cracks. The pressureless infill repair was achieved through the capillary action of an acetone-diluted resin pre-coating (RPC) solution (without hardener) with CNT reinforcement, comprising 89 m/m% acetone, 10 m/m% resin, and 1 m/m% CNT...”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 08:19   #3

Re: Tartan 3400 carbon boom delamination

Thanks GordMay for the welcome and quick reply. An interesting research article that highlights the advantage of acetone rich solution to improve crack penetration and repair strength. A little daunting as to how to apply this technique in a real world situation given a lengthy cure period and oven baking, but the essence of the method to improve crack penetration by capillary saturation is noted. I am hoping that my particular damage in not unique and others have tackled this repair. Noteworthy to understand that the damage has been caused by using too short of a screw that hasn’t reached through the full thickness of the carbon fiber and that there was an air gap between the SS gooseneck and the boom that allowed separation to occur, by the tension caused by the screw reducing the air gap. As such, trying to get my head around the stress strain on this part of the boom and the significance of the delamination in the strength of the boom to gooseneck joint is considerable importance.
NW Tartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination