Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 12:25   #1606

Re: Bestevaer 49ST

A tiller on that amazing boat has made my day ...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 13:01   #1607

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
A tiller on that amazing boat has made my day ...
Hi Olaf
I am a tiller fan too . The responsiveness to the lightest touch is akin to a joystick when flying .

We spent ages playing with winch placement last week and one criteria was bum room between the winches to sit comfortably on the combing and helm using a tiller extension. Apart from the tip of the combing, the slightly raised handrail on the inner side will provide extra security, wedging us in nicely when heeled.

Our last boat was roughly the same size and had a tiller as well. Friends with a five year old were staying with us once and when he saw the tiller his eyes lit up and he said "Wow, this is just a big Optimist". Helming this new boat should be just as much fun .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 14:13   #1608

Have you heard about Pelagic Autopilots? They even make a high power actuator for tiller steering.

Might be handy if you want to carry an autonomous spare pilot.

https://pelagicautopilot.com/
Old 10-11-2017, 14:33   #1609

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Have you heard about Pelagic Autopilots? They even make a high power actuator for tiller steering.

Might be handy if you want to carry an autonomous spare pilot.

https://pelagicautopilot.com/
That brand is new to me. I am just having a look.
We are going with Jefa DD3.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:24   #1610

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Tank mode .

We specified the provision for external fastenings around each of the pilot house windows.

These serve multiple purposes:

1. Attachment of shade cloth to serve as external shades.

2. Attachment of polycarbonate external windows. These can act as additional insulation with a double glazing effect or be tinted for tropical cruising in very hot climates. Polycarbonate is easy to cut with a jigsaw so these are a simple DIY project.

3. Aluminium "storm" shutters. These are simple sheets of aluminium. We specified thick glass windows that are very unlikely to ever break, but if this does occur these aluminium sheets are easily attached to seal the broken window. They can also be used when leaving the boat for long periods to provide UV protection and to stop prying eyes seeing the equipment inside and also to increase security from flying debris in hurricane conditions.

This photo shows a trial fitting of the storm shutters. All we need is big forward gun to complete the scene .

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:38   #1611

That pilot house reminds me of my late seventies SWB FJ Landcruiser, bought it new and the best FWD I ever owned.....
Old 12-11-2017, 03:39   #1612

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Tank mode .

We specified the provision for external fastenings around each of the pilot house windows.

These serve multiple purposes:

1. Attachment of shade cloth to serve as external shades.

2. Attachment of polycarbonate external windows. These can act as additional insulation with a double glazing effect or be tinted for tropical cruising in very hot climates. Polycarbonate is easy to cut with a jigsaw so these are a simple DIY project.

3. Aluminium "storm" shutters. These are simple sheets of aluminium. We specified thick glass windows that are very unlikely to ever break, but if this does occur these aluminium sheets are easily attached to seal the broken window. They can also be used when leaving the boat for long periods to provide UV protection and to stop prying eyes seeing the equipment inside and also to increase security from flying debris in hurricane conditions.

This photo shows a trial fitting of the storm shutters. All we need is big forward gun to complete the scene .

Now that is way too cool! Is this a common addition specified by other Bestevaer customers? I figured you'd just have a sheet as large as the largest opening and use it wherever needed.... only K&M would have them precut and stored away

Did you goes ever post a layout diagram? I was just curious what the living space vs bow/stern storage looks like in the drawing.

Matt
Old 12-11-2017, 12:27   #1613

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've been lurking and drooling oceans over the deck hardware

Just a quick question on another system -- what are you doing for refrigeration?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:55   #1614

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've been lurking and drooling oceans over the deck hardware

Just a quick question on another system -- what are you doing for refrigeration?
I believe they are going sans refrigeration. Just ice box if I remember correctly.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 13:15   #1615
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I believe they are going sans refrigeration. Just ice box if I remember correctly.

Really?
Interesting Boat, I can’t imagine doing without a generator for a boat this size and cost, much less refrigeration/ freezer.
Even if it wasn’t intended to be used, I would think a generator would be a good backup to have.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 14:05   #1616

Bestevaer 49ST

why would they need a generator? they're going to have a large solar array, plus the main engine
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 14:20   #1617
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
why would they need a generator? they're going to have a large solar array, plus the main engine

Just a backup, for you never know. This is to my way of thinking a rather large boat, and certainly not inexpensive. And where we cruise every now and again it gets stupid hot and the biting insects come out about the same time as the wind goes to nothing. It’s either sit in your bunk in a pool of sweat or crank the generator and turn on the AC.
I have never been in the high latitudes, and I’m sure never will.
However if they are foregoing refrigeration then surely they don’t really need much in the way of power generation anyway.
With not having a water heater, I guess no fridge, no generator and I assume no air conditioning etc.
However the power panel sure seemed to be quite large and complex, I assume there is very little if any AC devices?
This isn’t a mainstream Boat, I’d like to see it, cause I have a feeling the differences between it and a regular production Boat may be quite significant.
I bet for instance it has a hell for strong anchor roller, and maybe Sampson post?
Unless I’m mistaken I thought I saw cable life lines. I would have thought solid SS tubing similar to Amel maybe?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 14:24   #1618

Bestevaer 49ST

definitely no AC. they'll have a refleks diesel heater which can be used for boiling a kettle / heating water
essentially they'll be camping in style [emoji23]
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 21:49   #1619

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
....essentially they'll be camping in style
You've nailed it .
The luxuries that are most important to me are to be dry and safe and to have time to enjoy all the best cruising can offer, rather than being stuck in harbour using up priceless time repairing items or waiting for replacements to come in.

The sea is a harsh environment. I think one easy trap to fall into is to try and reproduce the same amenities as we have on shore. The second trap is to overcomplicate the boat simply because it is bigger or more expensive. Both will create long term headaches.

We are not new to this. We have had a decade cruising on an aluminium boat of a similar size and we have learned which systems are vital for us, which ones we are happy to do without and which ones we feel are totally unnecessary. Rather than complexity, when it comes to yacht build and gear we have gone for simple, tough, reliable, easy to maintain and superbly constructed (my form of luxury), with backs up where practical for critical systems.

SWL

PS Our refrigeration will be a stainless steel National Luna portable fridge. A similar smaller unit will function when required as a freezer or additional refrigeration, and will also double up as a backup. An ice cube maker will be used for sundowners. The ice cube maker falls in the vital category .

Old 12-11-2017, 21:56   #1620
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So a U-line then?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote