Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 03:53   #1816

Boat: Koopmans 43ph
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
Just as you are doing, we are planning to use a tablet (an older iPad) to remote control the Zeus from the cockpit. This will be clipped onto a RAM mount attached to one of the poles just forward of the entry. It should have good protection there, yet be easily accessible still.

An iPad by the bed will mirror the Vesper, which should make an excellent anchor alarm.

We will start with this and then modify as necessary. It will be fun playing .

SWL
SWL,
I use the same setup with Zeus and iPad. After trying different mounts I have fallen totally in love with Scanstrut's Rokk series. Simply the best and most rugged mounts there is - biased opinion.
Have a clamp mount at the binnacle, a screw mount on a piece of wood to move around and a suction mount for flat surfaces. The two holders that may cahnged around; one for tablet and one for a phone of some kind (gsm or sat). Take a look.
https://scanstrut.com/products-22/rokk-mini
sy_iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52   #1817

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

We have been test sailing and trying out systems.

After a couple of doses of decent wind and heavy rain, conditions at anchor near sunset tonight are close to ideal :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6DA6E6DF-F128-4556-87A4-96E76CF11A17.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	169034  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 13:26   #1818

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Swan neck:

We wanted a boat as waterproof as possible. Luxury afloat is often thought of in terms of how many gadgets are installed, but a dry boat is the first requirement. Surprisingly few boats are dry when offshore sailing. Saltwater down below, especially in bedding or upholstery is the pits. Even with extensive freshwater rinses, the salt seems to remain and attracts moisture and mould in the future.

So we specified no deck penetrations at all in the living areas. For example, the jib track which normally has multiple stainless bolts that rely on sealant, is simply welded in place on our boat.

However, wires need to penetrate the deck to enter the mast for the radar and anchor lights etc. It is also nice to have an exit where additional wires can be easily added. Here we adopted an old, but effective “swan neck”. Traditionally, the swan neck is only attached at one end, but a pipe that is welded at both ends (but with a large hole for the wire exit) is as waterproof, but stronger. This allows the swan neck to be used for other purposes such as halyard tie down or to support the whisker pole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A731C5D5-0552-4869-AE7D-AB7BD9B80EAA.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	169042  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 15:22   #1819
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Really nice multifunctional idea!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 17:48   #1820
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Did I miss the tour of all the running rigging?!
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 21:47   #1821

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Did I miss the tour of all the running rigging?!
Hi Jedi
Lovely to hear from you.

This is one area that was not modified from KM's "standard" recommendations. Not due to lack of interest in this area , but simply because rope is purchased in reels and specifying small quantities of anything not normally used would increase cost significantly. This is also an item with a relatively short life, so we can alter this as needed in years to come.

A brief summary of running rigging supplied by KM:

All lines used for sheets, topping lift, outhaul, kicker, Walder boom break are double braid polyester.
Headsail halyards single braid dyneema with Antal tracks (brilliant system).
Runners mixed (single braid dyneema almost down to deck level, then double braid poly).
Lifelines are 8mm single braid dyneema.

My rope work additions/modifications:

- A few dozen "high strength" soft shackles made with button knots (the latest made with Acera).

- I added eye splices to the headsail sheets, then used soft shackles to attach these to the clews.

- Ditto for the Walder boom break where it attaches to the toe rail.

- A couple of Bullseye loops with low friction rings have been added to the base of the courtesy flag halyards.

- 20mm Tiptoe Twelve (used primarily in the fishing industry) was chosen for shore lines and I spliced loops at one end.

- Acera was the choice for a series drogue that is work in progress.

- Making the snubber using octoplait nylon and Acera is a task for today.
I will have a play with running the nylon through Bullseye soft shackles with low friction rings where it needs to deviate from a straight line as it runs along the deck. This will also lift it off the deck.

- Fore and aft guys for the headsail pole have yet to be added, as do twings for the headsail sheets plus inboard/outboard control of these. Bullseye soft shackles with low friction rings will be used primarily for these.

- I also still need to make retrieval lines for the runners. The runners are about the only system fitted that does not function at all well.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:25   #1822

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Todays quiz:

How did we end up with this trace at anchor?

120m (400 feet) of chain in 3m (10 feet) of water!!! Is this a record?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7B9A9413-9038-42C3-A892-6DB0DF465A8F.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	169261  
Old 05-05-2018, 12:34   #1823

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Todays quiz:

How did we end up with this trace at anchor?

120m (400 feet) of chain in 3m (10 feet) of water!!! Is this a record?
Testing the bridle (about 10 times), and checking the length of the chain?
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 00:39   #1824

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, we were marking the anchor chain. Well picked Juho.

If you look closely you can see the pauses in the trace every 10m when we stopped to add the chain markers.

Everyone has their favourite system for marking chain. We have found the flexible solid plastic chain markers to be the best solution (the hollow brittle markers are poor). Even with full time anchoring we only lose one or two over the total chain length each year. We normally mark each division with 4 markers so to replace the odd one that decides it prefers to stay with the mermaids is not much of an issue. They are colour coded red, yellow, green, blue, white, with a different colour every 10m over each 50 metres. We have 120m of chain.

However, they are normally a tight fit, requiring some persuasion with a screwdriver to squeeze between the links. This latest batch was easier to jam into place, so perhaps they will not be as reliable.

We also mark each 10m with a single small rope tie (spectra is the best, but we used some scrap polyester this time). These rope ties are the most durable option we have found, but are hard to see as the chain is running out. They do serve as a permanent mark, so in the worst case where all 4 plastic chain markers are lost we don’t have to remeasure the chain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E631948B-5F56-4FED-AB17-A4AE3982D5A0.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	169286  
Old 06-05-2018, 00:43   #1825
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Are you using a chain counter (electronic) as well?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:41   #1826

Chain markers look good.

I like the ties too, I wonder how they would go as counters, one turn round the link for each 10 m chain?

What knot are you using?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:51   #1827
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Source of chain markers, maybe a link?
Paint I used is not going to cut it, it’s mostly gone now and I am going primarily by feel and they way the scope looks from the bow.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:24   #1828

Boat: Nauticat 32

Lots of small things to arrange in a new boat.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:49   #1829

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Are you using a chain counter (electronic) as well?
No, we have not fitted an electronic counter. They are very convenient, especially for boats where the windlass is often operated from the helm and markers cannot be seen.

We have tried to maximise reliability and minimise the time spent repairing things with a combination of fitting the best (and frequently oversized) equipment, together with leaving out equipment that does not truely earn its keep. Redundancy also helps.

This does not mean we have gone totally minimal. For example, a washing machine, bow thruster and watermaker have been fitted (or will be fitted in the near future) but rather than simply ticking the option box we have considered the reliability versus benefit ratio. This is more important than the cost/benefit ratio.

After 10 years of living full time on a similar boat we have a good idea what equipment is important to us. For many people their choices will be very different so don’t assume our descisions will be right for you, but try not to fit a large number of complex systems. Especially with a larger boat it easy to end up with so many systems that time is spent repairing equipment rather than enjoying new locations.

Away from your home port any repairs are more involved as spare parts are hard to find and if you don’t do the work yourself finding reliable technicians is not always easy.

However, chain counters are cool . If these new chain markers do not stay in place I may look at fitting one.

We have asked KM to install large PVC or aluminium pipes throughout the boat to act as conduit, which makes adding new systems, such as a chain counter (or replacing existing systems) relatively easy.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:27   #1830

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

The brand name of the plastic gizmos would be appreciated.

I desire a chain counter but if I cruised warm water with a Mermaid to check the anchor I wouldn't think a chain counter was worth the hassle either.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote