Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 08:29   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Best way to relocate a 40-45' monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortezsailor View Post
I have gotten two quotes to take our 42 ft boat down to Ensenada Mexico. Or San Diego . Trucking was 8000 to San Diego from Vancouver , on a ship was 11 500. The ship was a better deal as mast didn't have to come down and I could go with it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi. Thanks for adding your comment to the discussion.

I bolded a statement you made above. Please elaborate what you meant by "go with it."

Do you mean the cargo ship that will take your boat down will allow you along as a passenger on that same cargo vessel? Which shipping company? Do they ship only boats? Or is your boat to go as 'deck cargo?"
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 10:03   #32

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdalke View Post
My wife and I are looking to purchase a boat in the next couple months but the boats we've found are located on the east coast and we're living up in Juneau, Alaska. Has anybody relocated a boat or had a boat shipped cross country of that size? Or has anybody heard of any reputable companies that ship? If you have had a boat shipped how much was it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as it could help us decide on our next home!
Yes, I live on the West Coast & was unable to find a boat I liked up and down the Western Seaboard. Bought one one the East Coast. Quote to truck to WA was tough: $23,000 USD for a 42' 13.8' height, 12.5' beam with 58' mast. Couldn't swallow this, but I bought the boat anyway. Planning to sail her around to Texas (privately), then truck to SoCal for about $8k plus yard fees. Panama Canal fees ($3k+) and hassle doesn't look worth it.

I'm planning to keep the boat for a few decades, so I got the boat I really wanted. Side benefit has been some light East Coast cruising this summer. But you can't maintain a boat 3,000 miles from your home base, so she has to get home soon.
Mal Reynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 10:08   #33

Boat: Valiant 42

Contact http://www.lockviewmarina.com/ as they are an excellent boat transport company. They often make cross country hauls. You may be able to schedule a shared haul and save some $.

Whatever transport company you use check their insurance and bonding. Your insurance company may offer advice too.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 13:44   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
Yes, I live on the West Coast & was unable to find a boat I liked up and down the Western Seaboard. Bought one one the East Coast. Quote to truck to WA was tough: $23,000 USD for a 42' 13.8' height, 12.5' beam with 58' mast. Couldn't swallow this, but I bought the boat anyway. Planning to sail her around to Texas (privately), then truck to SoCal for about $8k plus yard fees. Panama Canal fees ($3k+) and hassle doesn't look worth it.

I'm planning to keep the boat for a few decades, so I got the boat I really wanted. Side benefit has been some light East Coast cruising this summer. But you can't maintain a boat 3,000 miles from your home base, so she has to get home soon.
Howdy Mal.

Thanks for sharing the cost info on the boat transport quote.

Sounds like a good plan to sail it to Kemah and truck to West Coast and then sail it home.

I took a look at Zimaz (and specs).

That is one sexy looking boat! Just my type.

Have any photos of the interior?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 14:40   #35

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
Loving the usename. Shiny!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 19:12   #36

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Loving the usename. Shiny!
Very good, and thanks. Almost no one gets it, which is fine with me.

Another site for the boat that hasn't been taken down yet: https://zimazforsale.wordpress.com/
Mal Reynolds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull