Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2008, 11:09   #16

Cruising Sailboat

Dr C
I've been looking for a good Daysailer for the last few months. I ruled out the Ensign because the outboard hangs over the stern and is difficult to use. Also, I believe the cockpit is not self draining. The Sea Sprite 23 Weekender is a good choice for what you want. ( check out yesterday's Boston Craigslist for a nice looking one for $7,000) Also, check out the Quickstep 24. The perfect boat for me would be an Alerion 28, but the cost is too much. The Catalina 22 is too light for the Newport, RI area where I sail. Good luck with your search. Let us know what you buy.
Mike
Mjc1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 11:57   #17
Jones5962

Hey Dr C
I’ve never tried this but have thought about it several times. Walk thru you local boat yards find a nice looking small sailboat that looks like it hasn’t been touched in years. I seem to find at least 2-3/yard. Around here they usually have registration stickers from the late 1990’s. Then check in with the yard management to track down the owner and make an offer. Logic would dictate that an unloved boat siting in the yard should be sold, but then boat ownership is not about logic
Old 29-02-2008, 17:10   #18

consider the ensign's larger sister, the pearson commander... shares hull with the ariel, which we own and love... the commander has the virture of a huge cockpit, it is self-bailing (ensign's will sink remember, though i'm sure it's rare) and they have enough of a cabin to at least get in out of the elements and to weekend... think of it as like camping/backpacking and you're in the right frame of mind... there are not a ton of commanders out there... strong rig, come usually with outboard (but inboard was optional)... all tillers, but great boat feel with it... carl alberg designed true classic, under appreciated, and probably around $5K... buy new sails including a full-batten main and you're golden... dave
dlathrop52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 18:42   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would look at a J-24. They are relatively inexpensive and have an enormous racing fleet. Their resale value has also stabilized if you buy a used one and maintain it. Thousands of these boats have been manufactured so there are lots to choose from that are in your price range. There is good reason they became so popular.

I would also take a look at the Moore 24 and the J-22. If you want a little larger and more comfortable, an Olson 25

J (Sail) Boats For Sale

Boats For Sale

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:29   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
San Juan 24

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:38   #21

Northeast Sailboat Rescue 207 729 2490 in Freeport advertise on Maine's craigslist; they seem to collect smallish boats for sale. They have a seasprite and ensign listed today; I believe they have a collection of different classic daysailors. Their prices seem to me to be way too high, but it would be worthwhile just to visit and have the opportunity to see all these different models in person since you are so nearby. There has also been a nordica 20 for sale for quite some time in Portland; an adorable little pocket boat; I believe they were advertising in Uncle Henry's.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:03   #22

Boat: B24
Agree with the notion that a self-bailing cockpit is a must – especially at a mooring, where she must fend for herself… even with appropriate cockpit covers, non-bailing cockpits can be a needless worry for unattended vessels – especially where shore-power is not available to top off batteries for a bilge-pump… even self-bailing isn’t a panacea once the drains clog with leaves/trash, etc…

Not fond of centerboards (personal preference – been there… for me at least they have been a needless maintenance headache), but the little 22-24 Bristols (or that ilk) can be attractive options if one likes a vessel that behaves a little larger than its size (both good and bad points – nicer than some in a seaway, but need a tad more sail in light airs… inexpensive, but not the general quality/level-of-finish one might find in a Cape Dory, etc., etc… ), and can be pressed into overnighters and beyond if the mood strikes… however the 24’s cockpit is sacrificed a bit for a larger cabin, so there still ain’t no free lunch in this size…
Old 03-03-2008, 19:02   #23

Halman or Nordica 20

Anybody have any idea where I could locate either a Halman Nordica 20 in Maine or there abouts?
nsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:20   #24

Boat: Nordica 20
nsmax,
Keep your eyes on craigslist and even just make a once a week google check.
There is one in Halifax and a couple in the Toronto area right now. Saw one a month ago in NH.
Just got to the paint stage on mine and I'm already eyeing up a Nordica 30
Old 04-03-2008, 13:57   #25

Nordica

The Halifax listing is old, the boat was sold a year ago ;-( Toronto is about $3000 in shipping unless it has a trailer!
nsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 18:48   #26

That is a problem. The two in Toronto are without trailer. Marine Cradle in Toronto has the specs for these boats and have manufactured a few trailers but they are around 3500.00 loaded. Also depends on how much you want to spend. My buddies brother is selling his but he was asking 8k. Boat is fully restored with many upgrades and brand new trailer from above noted shop.
I was tempted but couldnt muster the cash. Ended up buying mine for 32hun but trailer is "just" road legal and boat requires full going over.
If interested, send me a message @ horizons - at - on - dot - aibn - dot - com
Not sure if my post count is high enough to enable pm's.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:01   #27

Boat: Hunter 22' Knot Enuff
Dr. C
I have a 22' Hunter that has served me very well to get back into sailing after a 25 year absence.
It has a lot of good features and is OK for ovenight for 2. Will actually sleep 4 but that would be cramped for Adults.
As with any boat there are compromises but with the trailer this boat can be hauled to different launch areas as long as the ramp has enough water to float her off. Stepping the mast is not that big a deal. I leave mine on the trailer at the marina and leave the mast up with the main sail in the cover so launching it when I want to use it is not a big deal. It costs me $320.00 a season to keep it parked right there.
I will probably be seeling mine this spring to move up to a 30'-35' boat.
I am 6'11" so the Hunter gets very cramped for me.
Let me know if you have any other questions about the Hunter 22.
Craig
Old 05-03-2008, 09:02   #28

greenbay.craigslist
20ft Halman ( Nordica sistership )
4500 on a trailer
They are out there
Old 08-03-2008, 17:46   #29

1971 Edey & Duff Stone Horse 23 Boat For Sale
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:09   #30
Eternal Member