Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 09:02   #331

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: Beneteau 38

Here's Sailing Magazine's boat test of the Oceanis 38:

Beneteau Oceanis 38

I'm a bit proud, as that's my hull.

Matt
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 09:28   #332
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
80% of the sailboats hardly ever leave the dock and for those that do they are seldom further away than a couple of hours. Benni knows this and is designing boats that fit the use profile of most buyers.
i would rather have a 35' boat built for offshore sailing than a 40' boat that has a bright open feeling below .. guess i don't fit the beneteau and european profile
Old 14-03-2015, 10:12   #333

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i would rather have a 35' boat built for offshore sailing than a 40' boat that has a bright open feeling below .. guess i don't fit the beneteau and european profile
Looking at this thread and others, due to the success of the 35 and 38 on the US it seems that more than an European profile that style is more a US profile Those boats are selling well in Europe but comparatively, not as well as on the US.

Regarding that "bright open feeling below" the 38 and 35 can have a a full bulkhead separating the front cabin from the saloon/galley area and then the boat is not different than many others, not open feeling anymore. It has even a two cabin version option with lots of storage and a big galley.

Without being designed specifically for offshore sailing (as 95% of all cruisers) this type of hull offers a good offshore potential, specially in what regards long range cruising on the trade winds were it will provide a lot of stability, speed, less heel and roll.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 10:17   #334

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
id rather have a boat

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 10:32   #335

Quote:
Here's an Oceanis 38 currently circumnavigating the Atlantic:

Accueil - Beneteau Ocean Atlantic Tour

It's all-ocean rated, easy to get around in, and not lacking in handholds. It does come a bit bare, but an aft-arch is easy to add.
Old 14-03-2015, 10:43   #336

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerobarros View Post
Quick question:
Is your exhaust outlet above or below the waterline? Mine is above and it is noisier than the generator itself. There is an optional outlet gas separator, but that is another hole in the hull...
Thanks.
We installed our system with the exhaust gas/water separator which is located just under the side deck in the sail locker on the starboard side. The water discharge is below the waterline under the sail locker. The exhaust gas discharge is in the transom, just above the waterline. When our machine is running all one can hear on deck in the cockpit is a gentle purrr. One cannot hear the generator at all on-deck from amidships forward or below deck over the sound of the fan on the air conditioner. The only problem with the arrangement is that if there is no wind, the exhaust fumes will drift up around the aft end of the cockpit which is a pain (but does keep the bugs at bay!). We usually use our machine for a few hours in the late afternoon, early evening, to cool the accommodation, charge the batteries and run the water heater. The foregoing takes about 3.5-3.8 KW which is a proper continuous load for the device. Fuel consumption is in the range of about .2 GPH.

The one advantage to the unsilenced version of the system is that one has no doubt about whether the RW pump is functioning properly. In some respects, I would prefer that for the assurance.

Do your routine maintenance and particularly so the RW impeller which gets a workout. I change ours fairly frequently. They are less costly if purchased a number at a time. Jeff Till can help you with that.

Good luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 20:31   #337

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Beneteau 38

Quote:
RK...you asked for it...

cheers and enjoy.

Oh yes, I did. Thx.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 20:32   #338

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Beneteau 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post

Beneteau Oceanis 38

Matt

I am proud of your boat too. She's a stunner.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 21:07   #339

Boat: Oceanis 35

Quote:

Beneteau Oceanis 38

Matt
Luna Sea was looking great today! The 35 you saw was my wife and I.

Cheers,
Esa
Finnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 22:50   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnsail View Post
Luna Sea was looking great today! The 35 you saw was my wife and I.

Cheers,
Esa
It was a fantastic day for sailing. We were offshore and couldn't do less than 6.5 knots no matter how long we ignored the trim.

I mistook your 35 for a 38--they look so much alike that its hard to tell them apart until you get close.

Ever do any of the South Coast Yachts Beneteau events? Would love to meet up sometime!
Old 16-03-2015, 13:01   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We installed our system with the exhaust gas/water separator which is located just under the side deck in the sail locker on the starboard side. The water discharge is below the waterline under the sail locker. The exhaust gas discharge is in the transom, just above the waterline. When our machine is running all one can hear on deck in the cockpit is a gentle purrr. One cannot hear the generator at all on-deck from amidships forward or below deck over the sound of the fan on the air conditioner. The only problem with the arrangement is that if there is no wind, the exhaust fumes will drift up around the aft end of the cockpit which is a pain (but does keep the bugs at bay!). We usually use our machine for a few hours in the late afternoon, early evening, to cool the accommodation, charge the batteries and run the water heater. The foregoing takes about 3.5-3.8 KW which is a proper continuous load for the device. Fuel consumption is in the range of about .2 GPH.

The one advantage to the unsilenced version of the system is that one has no doubt about whether the RW pump is functioning properly. In some respects, I would prefer that for the assurance.

Do your routine maintenance and particularly so the RW impeller which gets a workout. I change ours fairly frequently. They are less costly if purchased a number at a time. Jeff Till can help you with that.

Good luck!
Thank you very much SVHylite, for the informations. We used the generator to power two air conditioners this weekend, to sleep, in Key Biscayne. Wonderful.
I will certainly follow your tips on the maintenance. The generator worked flawless and quiet, for 7 hours. on the other hand, we figured out that my 85 gallons of water will last for 5 days with two people. So, next project is a water maker, as we intend to cruise extensively in the Bahamas.
Cheers.
Here is a picture of the installation. Glad the locker at the Oceanis 38 is that huge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	98953  
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 13:25   #342

For the undecided wives...
Some years ago, my wife was involved in an accident in Rio de janeiro, when a tourist boat capsized and 80 people were trapped inside and drowned. She was scared for life. Then we got married and I told her I want to go sailing far away. Although terrified, reluctantly she agreed that we buy the Oceanis 38, because was the only monohull within our mean$$$ that she would not feel claustrophobic inside. That was last year. Well, I am very happy to report that she has since then, gained more and more confidence with the boat and is actually enjoying sailing. Last weekend we sailed from Fort lauderdale to the Keys and got some decent storms around us. A new admiral is born. Show the picture to your wives... they may change their minds.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	98957  
Old 16-03-2015, 15:39   #343

Quote:
For the undecided wives...
Some years ago, my wife was involved in an accident in Rio de janeiro, when a tourist boat capsized and 80 people were trapped inside and drowned. She was scared for life. Then we got married and I told her I want to go sailing far away. Although terrified, reluctantly she agreed that we buy the Oceanis 38, because was the only monohull within our mean$$$ that she would not feel claustrophobic inside. That was last year. Well, I am very happy to report that she has since then, gained more and more confidence with the boat and is actually enjoying sailing. Last weekend we sailed from Fort lauderdale to the Keys and got some decent storms around us. A new admiral is born. Show the picture to your wives... they may change their minds.
Cheers.
Fantastic! Great sailing too. We never get storms here in So Cal

I'm very lucky that my wife loves sailing as much as I do. We've been sailing together since we got married 20 years ago.
Old 16-03-2015, 16:38   #344

Quote:
Fantastic! Great sailing too. We never get storms here in So Cal

I'm very lucky that my wife loves sailing as much as I do. We've been sailing together since we got married 20 years ago.
You are really lucky that she share your passion. My wife is a brave woman. She rides her own motorcycle and is a private single engine pilot, but the ocean is new... so far so good. Let's see when we cross the gulf stream...
Cheers
Old 19-03-2015, 17:02   #345

Boat: O38 & J24

Don't know if any other 38 owners are having any B&G issues, but if so, please contribute to the below extended thread. Thx. FdM

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-107261-5.html
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau