Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 08:04   #661

Re: Beneteau 38

The Oceanis 38 is in my short list as my next boat. I really love it and I think I know it inside out thanks to this thread.
I would really appreciate your inputs on two optional (and expensive) items. Should I include in my shopping list:
1) performance sail package (the Elvstrom black sails)
2) optional cockpit table

Thank you in advance!
cecca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 13:00   #662

Boat: O38 & J24

I can't speak to the performance sails but others who have ordered the boat have picked that option (join the facebook O38/O35 users group and ask around...it also has a slew of info on the value of options offered). Regarding the table...yes order it as you will appreciate the surface space and handholds it provides. The cockpit table has center storage/beverage compartment and good handholds, while the saloon table lowers to form a bed (see below photos). Hope this helps. Attached is a video taken yesterday of the boat sailing around SF Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit Table 1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	136761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saloon Bed.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	136762  

Attached Files
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 14:49   #663

thank you! How can I find the O38 group on Facebook? If I search it I cannot find it....
cecca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 17:12   #664

Search on facebook for Beneteau Oceanis 35 & Beneteau Oceanis 38 Sailboat Owners
Old 24-11-2016, 17:15   #665

https://www.facebook.com/groups/518446764922747/
Old 27-11-2016, 14:45   #666

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

Any of you O38 owners (and tire kickers) have an opinion or review of the 38.1 vs the 38? Is the L-shaped galley the only real and significant difference?
Interested to hear your thoughts, as this has been a possible purchase for me in the near term.
Thanks.
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 22:31   #667

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecca01 View Post
The Oceanis 38 is in my short list as my next boat. I really love it and I think I know it inside out thanks to this thread.
I would really appreciate your inputs on two optional (and expensive) items. Should I include in my shopping list:
1) performance sail package (the Elvstrom black sails)
2) optional cockpit table

Thank you in advance!
We sailed one with the performance pack and the small (not deluxe) cockpit table. The black sails are definitely cool, but they are carbon so they won't take much flogging. Having owned carbon racing sails for many years, I can tell you that you'd have to be careful with them. The Neil Pryde dacron sails are kinda meh, but we decided that for a slab reef setup we'd rather go with those, and when they blow out get cheaper laminated sails than the Elvstrom carbon. However if you're going to race they may be worthwhile. BTW, they're really stiff, so getting the main into the Beneteau stack pack was a chore. The stack pack needs modifying anyway...

The small cockpit table is really kind of lame in my opinion. The deluxe table is worth every penny if you want a real cockpit table. If you're racing I'd omit it all entirely, but it would be a shame because the cockpit is pretty awesome with that big deluxe table.

By the way, the performance pack also comes with the German main sheet system I think, which we found really clumsy. Our current boat has a German system that's excellent, but mostly because there are dedicated main sheet winches. On the 38 you're trying to share the 2 winches between the jib and main sheets, and the result is that you're endlessly flipping clutches and confusing lines. There's basically no real way to jibe cleanly - you need both winches for the two jib sheets leaving you no way to control the main. We ended up sheeting the main all the way in before jibing, then clutching it off and leaving it to itself while using both winches for the jib. We decided the normal main sheet system was actually better for us. The boat is pretty jib driven, and it's straight forward for the helmsman to handle the jib sheets, so any other person on the boat can handle the main up on a cabin top winch. If they had a dedicated main sheet winch it would be a different story.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 22:50   #668

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
Any of you O38 owners (and tire kickers) have an opinion or review of the 38.1 vs the 38? Is the L-shaped galley the only real and significant difference?
Interested to hear your thoughts, as this has been a possible purchase for me in the near term.
Thanks.
We're looking pretty seriously at the 38.1 as well. As you say, the L shaped galley is the big one, which also means a starboard settee which should have a bunch of storage below, a center line salon table with leafs on both sides, plus a small aft facing nav station of sorts at the aft end of the starboard settee. The settees are pretty long in this layout, and the galley is very functional, although I think you probably lose a little counter space. The fridge is a top loader. The aft opening port is close to the stove, which is nice. The nav station is smaller than the one in the old layout but does fold away. It's really only big enough for a laptop. The breaker panel has a digital gauge.

The other big change is that the forward bulkhead is now fixed, with double opening doors into the forward cabin. The forward cabin now has conventional closets and shelves either side behind the double doors.

One benefit to the L shaped galley that we see is that there are good handholds as soon as you come down the companionway.

BTW, the seacocks and through hulls are all Groco bronze fittings.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:00   #669

The 38.1 is what 38 "Cruiser" version should have been from the beginning.

The 38, regardless of the version is a beautiful beach-front loft cottage on the water perfect for day-sailing, weekend outings, island hopping during short charters. Sails very good too, BTW.

The 38.1 aspires to longer cruising, although with limited tankage one would need a water maker installed to get serious. Beneteau is getting it right evolutionarily enhancing this model (albeit it took them long to realize what's really important for this forum type of crowd).
rostyvyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau