Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 16:06   #226
cruiser

Re: Bavaria or Hunter Bashing

Originally Posted by Kenomac
Ford Pinto cars only exploded and incinerated the occupants in rare cases, but I guess that didn't make the drivers and passengers of the 3,000,000 Pintos on the road feel any safer.

Originally Posted by MarkSF
Faced with a choice of a car that rarely exploded, and one that never exploded, I think most people would choose the latter

Originally Posted by colemj
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the last one rolled off the production line 35 years ago.

I mean, you see literally dozens of Barracudas, Gremlins and Pacers every single day - but no Pintos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Mark you gotta be my age if you remember this stuff, LOL. God those were the days of crap cars personified.
So the four of us can agree that Barracudas, Gremlins, Pacers and Pintos were crap cars which raised significant safety concerns at the time? We laugh at these cars today.... right?

Why would boats be any different when significant safety concerns are raised when keels and rudders come loose on a couple of brands?
Old 10-01-2015, 16:12   #227

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
...So the four of us can agree that Barracudas, Gremlins, Pacers and Pintos were crap cars which raised significant safety concerns at the time? We laugh at these cars today.... right?..

Why would boats be any different when significant safety concerns are raised when keels and rudders come loose on a couple of brands?
If I remember correctly one of those rudders that come lose recently was from a Oyster.
Old 10-01-2015, 16:15   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
If I remember correctly one of those rudders that come lose recently was from a Oyster.
Well don't keep us in suspense, tell us about it and show us the goods!!
Old 10-01-2015, 16:15   #229
cruiser

Quote:
Nope. Unless you can find it somewhere on the internet or record of the event? I can't... but nice try.

Where's your internet research buddy when you need him?
Old 11-01-2015, 06:10   #230
cruiser

Quote:
Still waiting for you to get back with your Oyster facts...
Old 11-01-2015, 06:41   #231

Quote:
Polux I am sure you have some sort of back up for your comment here but you should come forward with it otherwise all your future statements lose there credibility.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:54   #232

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I just had this happen to me on the hunter cleat failure thread, and just wanted to say when you jump down somebody's throat for posting something without citing proof, and then assume they must have been making it up, you look like you're taking things a little too seriously.

I did a quick google search, and found this thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-135136-7.html

They mention Hunters in that rudder failure thread (they get mentioned a lot in failure threads, don't draw any conclusions here or you'll be considered bashing and have the hunter sea lawyers and landsmen all up in arms)
Old 11-01-2015, 06:57   #233

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

, nothing beneficial on this thread all this dose Is make this site non appealing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2015, 07:02   #234

I'll repeat my assessment, as the original topic gets lost among all the adamant bashing.

This is not about Hunters, Bavarias or Beneteaus. They're fine enough boats. It's likely more about group membership and the desire of individuals to feel better about themselves though an association with the luxury products they own or want to own. It's the very basis of capitalism.

If people couldn't differentiate themselves through the products they own, luxury brands would go out of business. If they're on a watch forum, they gotta bash the Timex. How else can they justify the enormous sums they paid for their Tag Heuer or their Rolex? They can't admit that they paid more for their timepiece just to differentiate themselves from all those other dorks with watches. They're a discerning time-piece buyer, and can afford the very best.

It's similar with some sports fans. A little of their identity is tied up in that branding. Gotta get those hats and jerseys -- gotta support the team! They'll argue endlessly to prove how pitiful or shameless the rival team is. It's clear their rival can only be supported by buffoons.

What else would the reason be? Otherwise, it really makes no sense for someone with (or who wants) one brand of boat to spend a lot of time bashing another boat brand.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:07   #235

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I have to agree with Randy, I have never heard sailors bash other sailors boats, in fact its just the opposite. Multi hulls do have a different motion but who cares. The internet brings out a completely different side to people and they say stuff that normally they wouldn't but hey thats the venue and not much can be done by it. This forum is pretty tame compared to some out there.
If another cruiser bad mouthed my boat to my face I would write the guy off and avoid his company, life is too short.

These forums, to me, are like traffic. People that, while navigating a grocery aisle, will offer another to go ahead, nod in appreciation and patience. Friendly as can be face-to-face. Then while dealing with what they perceive to be nothing more than an inanimate chunk of metal going down the road will cut you off, lean on the horn, and flip the bird. Whoa! Like what happens here in this forum. I think that we should all use the avatar with our very own smiling face and use our full names in the profile. Own and take responsibility for your behavior. Watch how fast Hunters and Bavarias "aren't so bad after all".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 07:25   #236
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
, nothing beneficial on this thread all this dose Is make this site non appealing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I have a tendency to agree, all of this "bashing" is not beneficial. OK so it's normal to think you have a good boat and be proud of it, but bashing is negative and not beneficial in any way.
Bashing is just another word for bullying isn't it? Does anyone like bullies, or aspire to be one?

Lets go back to helping one another, before you post, think of if you were on the receiving end, is your post beneficial? If it's not, then don't post it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 07:37   #237

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Still waiting for you to get back with your Oyster facts...
I thought that it was common knowledge the recent loss of a rudder on an Oyster 48. I posted about it here and on my blog. I cannot post a link to the post on my blog but if you look you will find it:

"we surfed down a wave and it was too much for the rudder. It was a sickening sight as half of it appeared out of the back of the boat"

You guys, the ones that were questioning my accuracy regarding facts regarding an Oyster having lost a rudder, are truly amazing: How hard is to goggle: "Oyster lost rudder" before questioning me about that?

The first five entries on Google are about that lost rudder
Old 11-01-2015, 09:32   #238
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Nope. Unless you can find it somewhere on the internet or record of the event? I can't... but nice try.

Where's your internet research buddy when you need him?
Here ya go, pal -

Interesting Sailboats: MIDDLE SEA RACE: AN INCREDIBLE STORY AND SOME GREAT VIDEOS

Ralph
Old 11-01-2015, 10:51   #239

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have a tendency to agree, all of this "bashing" is not beneficial. OK so it's normal to think you have a good boat and be proud of it, but bashing is negative and not beneficial in any way.
Bashing is just another word for bullying isn't it? Does anyone like bullies, or aspire to be one?
Agreed if "bashing" means subjective, negative comments about a boat brand that is unsubstantiated, and even the bias in those are pretty easy to figure out. But I don't think credible, fact-based reports of specific failures constitute "bashing." Besides, if somebody merely read the report of the Bene rudder problem here w/o reading the entire thread, they may miss the points made about how many of these Bene rudders are out there not failing, and can judge accordingly. In the same vein, trying to dissuade someone from not starting a thread about a cleat failure on a Hunter could leave the impression that it's on account of a cheap build, when the reality could very well be that no cleat could have withstood the forces at play from the wind & seas, along with some potential operator error.

I could only have wished for some Bristol "bashing" if it would have resulted in my being better informed about the problems I've had with my centerboard lifting apparatus!
Old 11-01-2015, 11:03   #240
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

weavis got to go flying today.
Colleague has a Cirrus. A high and windy flight all controlled by computer.
I loved it.
Saw lots of boats from up there
Closed Thread

Tags
bavaria, hunter