Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 12:38   #211

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Bavaria or Hunter Bashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
That's not a caveat. It's factored in with the branding and marketing.

I'll give the coffee example. Coffee makers know that some people just WANT to pay a premium. So they provide a premium or more desireable product, but charge significantly more for that premium product that it should cost. This works. (see fair trade coffee -- costs 5 cents more, they charge a lot more than that.)

With products, there are some who want higher quality, but they are almost always willing to pay a higher than proportional cost to get it. People are willing to pay a premium for perceived higher quality, even if that cost is higher than it should be.
And people are also willing to pay a premium for actual higher quality, whether that also includes an additional premium for branding or not.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:49   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Indeed like premium cars that. Are priced to suit the market the same is true for many high end marquees , I mean you have to pay for those brochures , and the expensive exhibition stands !!

Dave
Making good buying decisions is always tough. The high end stuff is high quality but you sure pay a premium for sure whether its a T shirt or a new car/boat. I try to buy the best quality I can afford with most things but often I will buy cheap stuff if I don't plan on using it a lot. My Dad always said if you buy high quality you only cry once and I'd say for most stuff he was right but premium stuff while high quality is not very good value. Maybe some of the middle of the line production boats are the best choice for the long term buyer.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:55   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
And people are also willing to pay a premium for actual higher quality, whether that also includes an additional premium for branding or not.
That's do different that what I said. People are willing to pay for higher quality, and producers generally charge them a premium for that quality, which they are also willing to pay.
Old 10-01-2015, 13:24   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I meant A64 (not AVB). My bad. Simple mistake.

Even so, it certainly wasn't an "attack". I mean seriously - if merely challenging someone's opinion is an "attack" there is WAY too much tenderness around here.
If your intent is to advance an argument on the merits, quote in full & then highlight like you often do. Sometimes parsing is fine & saves bandwidth, but other times it distorts somebody else's post, whether you think their post worthy or not. I have no idea, btw, what A64 said at this point, or what part of it you're replying to, but thanks for clarifying it wasn't avb3.

Unless, of course, your intent is to provoke and/or something other than what you've stated. Peace.
Old 10-01-2015, 13:32   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile

Quote:
That's do different that what I said. People are willing to pay for higher quality, and producers generally charge them a premium for that quality, which they are also willing to pay.
I got confused when you said "perceived" quality, although I would say when it comes to some consumer goods it's more about perception than reality. (e.g. Timex vs. Rolux). But I understand what you mean now.

The interesting inquiry for me when it comes to boats is mainly how & if the increased quality translates to how a boat performs at sea, esp. in rough conditions. Maybe the answer is that it provides more of a margin, makes it easier, and makes it more comfortable, but I could be wrong about that too.
Old 10-01-2015, 14:23   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you pay 150K for a new boat and 150K for an older boat, assuming both were priced correctly, in three yrs it's likely the older boat will be valued at about 150K, and the new boat substantially less. Boats are a depreciating asset, plain and simple, and I chose not to be the one that takes the biggest chunk of that depreciation if I can help it.
This has nothing at all to do with the brand or quality of boat just simply if you buy a new one, it will most likely depreciate much faster than an older one

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-01-2015, 14:24   #217

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
The interesting inquiry for me when it comes to boats is mainly how & if the increased quality translates to how a boat performs at sea, esp. in rough conditions. Maybe the answer is that it provides more of a margin, makes it easier, and makes it more comfortable, but I could be wrong about that too.
I would think that performance would be the realm of hull, rig and sail design, and little to do with quality.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-01-2015, 14:51   #218

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Yes off course, otherwise Mercedes and Audi as well as Halberg Rassy or Solaris would not sell cars or boats. But it seems we all agree that quality is not proportional to quality and in most cases it is not functionality but luxury meaning higher quality finish, better interior materials that some times don't have a correspondence in what regards superior specs. In fact in the cars normally they have, on the boats not always.
Old 10-01-2015, 15:02   #219
cruiser

Originally Posted by Kenomac
Ford Pinto cars only exploded and incinerated the occupants in rare cases, but I guess that didn't make the drivers and passengers of the 3,000,000 Pintos on the road feel any safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Faced with a choice of a car that rarely exploded, and one that never exploded, I think most people would choose the latter.
Precisely... which is why we haven't seen any Pintos on the road in over 30 years.

Since Hunter and Bavaria are the boat brands which seem to fill the google search pages with links to keel and rudder issues, it stands to reason they would receive the most criticism on internet forums regarding safety concerns.
Old 10-01-2015, 15:08   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Making good buying decisions is always tough. The high end stuff is high quality but you sure pay a premium for sure whether its a T shirt or a new car/boat. I try to buy the best quality I can afford with most things but often I will buy cheap stuff if I don't plan on using it a lot. My Dad always said if you buy high quality you only cry once and I'd say for most stuff he was right but premium stuff while high quality is not very good value. Maybe some of the middle of the line production boats are the best choice for the long term buyer.
Honestly i think that in all different price categories if one know how to choose the highest price boat is always the best but there are not many with money to buy the best....so it all depends. if you have money to buy the middle price option and you know how to choose, its better than the lower price that in many cases it's the only option to many.

Regarding bluewater long range cruising the question that can be posed like this, and given pratical examples, if it is a better option to buy an Halberg Rassy 37 or a Jeanneau 45 and in what regards my opinion, if the budget don't allow more, the Jeanneau 45 is a better option.
Old 10-01-2015, 15:13   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes off course, otherwise Mercedes and Audi as well as Halberg Rassy or Solaris would not sell cars or boats. But it seems we all agree that quality is not proportional to quality and in most cases it is not functionality but luxury meaning higher quality finish, better interior materials that some times don't have a correspondence in what regards superior specs. In fact in the cars normally they have, on the boats not always.
Except that along with luxury on higher-end cars there can also be greater safety, long-distance comfort, durability, and less depreciation. This seems like this could also cross over to boats, but some of it is subjective, obviously.
Old 10-01-2015, 15:13   #222

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Precisely... which is why we haven't seen any Pintos on the road in over 30 years.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the last one rolled off the production line 35 years ago.

I mean, you see literally dozens of Barracudas, Gremlins and Pacers every single day - but no Pintos.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-01-2015, 15:26   #223

Quote:
Except that along with luxury on higher-end cars there can also be greater safety, long-distance comfort, durability, and less depreciation. This seems like this could also cross over to boats, but some of it is subjective, obviously.
Normally that is not true true in what regard depreciation. On high priced boats or high priced cars depreciation is bigger then on utilitarian cars or boats.

Regarding interior comfort sure, other types of comfort, it depends on the type. Durability and most of all reliability are not acquired. On boats there is no way of knowing but in what regards cars a main German auto magazine (with several associated magazines in Europe) runs an impressive statistic job to know what are the cars that require more assistance and also disassemble completely cars with 100 000kms or so to find out about wear and durability...and the results are impressive with Korean cars and other inexpensive cars ranking better then very expensive cars.

I suppose that if it was possible to do the same with cruising boats we would have identical results.
Old 10-01-2015, 15:46   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I would think that performance would be the realm of hull, rig and sail design, and little to do with quality.

Mark
With the exception that many of the higher end boats are more heavily built, and therefore may be easier to handle, more comfortable, and have a greater margin for error in rough conditions. Not necessarily the same as quality, but these two attributes often go together.

I wonder if there are new, mass-produced, affordable boats now being made that are built more heavily. The Saga 43, for example, is more of a heavier, no-nonsense, purpose-built boat that doesn't seem loaded with luxuries. But it's expensive and doesn't fit the mass-produced category. The "Adventure 40" being developed & promoted by John Harries of Morgan's Cloud looks promising price-wise.
Old 10-01-2015, 15:52   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the last one rolled off the production line 35 years ago.

I mean, you see literally dozens of Barracudas, Gremlins and Pacers every single day - but no Pintos.

Mark
Mark you gotta be my age if you remember this stuff, LOL. God those were the days of crap cars personified.
Closed Thread

Tags
bavaria, hunter