Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 14:54   #31

Boat: CT 54
Re: And Now The Hunt Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
personally,"VIRTUAL DECK SCRUBBER"might have been a better choice,deck scrubber implies "the one who gets all the dirty jobs onboard!!!"

happy hunting,ps eastern med is pretty good for bargins.
yeah I know who will do all those Dirty jobs.
Deck Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:32   #32

Boat: Just sold 38' Creekmore

Is it possible to check the standing rigging by sacrificing one of the lower shrouds in a tensile strength test, rather than changing it automatically after 7 or 10 years?
dspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:37   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

spriggs, if you test one shroud--you've still not tested the others and have no way to tell if any of them have started to fail. That's why there's non-destructive testing, so you don't consume the whole rig while testing it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:39   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspriggs View Post
Is it possible to check the standing rigging by sacrificing one of the lower shrouds in a tensile strength test, rather than changing it automatically after 7 or 10 years?
You might want to repost under the Deck Hardware sub-forum:

Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 01-02-2012, 15:46   #35

Not really because the tensile strength test is only testing that shroud. It's dangerous to assume the other standing rigging is exactly the same.

It only takes one stay or shroud to part to possibly bring a rig down...

Replacing the standing rigging is a cost but dismasting in the middle of an Atlantic crossing will be a much greater cost, and I'm not just talking money here.

If you're buying a yacht to only use locally for weekend sailing and not ocean crossing, then maybe, maybe I would not necessarily replace stainless standing rigging straight away. But crossing an ocean, why take that risk? You want your vessel to be as well found as possible so when that 50 knot front hits you have the confidence she can carry you through...

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:51   #36

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That happens to some extent in Baja, especially up around San Carlos. People don't want to do the Baja Bash back north, and there are an awful lot of boats for sale because of that.
Yep! San Carlos/Guaymas and La Paz have a ton of boats and few buyers, more so because of all the media hysteria over the narco violence in Mexico. There are two 50 footers for sale on my dock alone that look good, here at Marina Palmira. La Paz Yachts probably lists them. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-02-2012, 16:38   #37

Boat: CT 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Girl View Post
Not really because the tensile strength test is only testing that shroud. It's dangerous to assume the other standing rigging is exactly the same.

It only takes one stay or shroud to part to possibly bring a rig down...

Replacing the standing rigging is a cost but dismasting in the middle of an Atlantic crossing will be a much greater cost, and I'm not just talking money here.

If you're buying a yacht to only use locally for weekend sailing and not ocean crossing, then maybe, maybe I would not necessarily replace stainless standing rigging straight away. But crossing an ocean, why take that risk? You want your vessel to be as well found as possible so when that 50 knot front hits you have the confidence she can carry you through...
WHAT???? 50 knot fronts.....CAPTAIN...u didn't tell me this?
Deck Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:13   #38

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
Please note the following if contemplating a yacht purchase in the UK. You will pay the VAT unless you meet the terms of the 'sailaway' boat.
"
1.3 What is the definition of a 'sailaway' boat?

A ‘sailaway’ boat is defined as one which is to be:
  • delivered to the buyer or their authorised skipper within the EU, and
  • exported under its own power to a destination outside the VAT territory of the EU.
top ^
1.4 Who can use the scheme?

The scheme can only be used for the private purchase of a boat for private purposes by:
  • An overseas visitor who intends to export the boat under its own power to a destination outside the EU within six months of the date of delivery. This is normally the date the boat leaves the manufacturer or supplier.
This scheme must not be used to purchase boats used for commercial purchases.
Before 1 January 2012 UK residents who intended to export the boat to a destination outside the EU could also use the scheme, but they are no longer eligible. However, UK residents may be able to purchase a boat VAT-free provided that the seller arranges the direct export of the boat to a destination outside the EU. See paragraph 1.6 and Notice 703 Exports and removals of goods from the United Kingdom for conditions."

HM Revenue & Customs web site: www.hmrc.gov.uk

See section 9.1.c - of "VAT - Export of Goods from the United Kingdom" here:

"(c) Sailaway Boat Scheme
The Sailaway Boat Scheme allows boats exported to final destinations outside the EC to be zero-rated for VAT purposes. You can find more details in Notice 703/2 Sailaway boats supplied for export outside the EC."
Thanks Billy,
Pretty well as we thought.
Looks like we'll be fine with any UK/Euro zone purchase. We would get it Aussie registered right away and sail her out of VAT liable areas within the time allowance.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:27   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for dream graveyard areas?

Typically the places where people run out of puff, money, partners, vision, and leave the boat with a view to bringing it back later. Then it gets all too hard and the for sale sign goes up, along with all the others.

In Aus that would be northern Queensland. In USA/Caribbean/Mexico? Where in the Med/Europe?

...Hawaii is one
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Assuming you buy in the USA (cheaper and a bigger selection, have a look in Florida)

Yes traveling into the USA on the visa waiver program does only allow you 90 days but you may be able to fly out (Canada or Mexico) am fly back in for another 90 days. With the VWP entry you can legally sail out of the USA but you cannot sail back in. To sail into the USA you need a B1/B2 visa. This visa also allows you to get a cruising permit in the USA for 12 months after you have purchased the yacht and had the yacht re-flagged as Australian. (you must do this as only a USA citizen can have a US registered yacht)

If you do not have a cruising permit moving the yacht is a real hassle as you MUST report to Homeland Security every time even if you move slips in the same marina.

My suggestion would be to get the B1/B2 before you leave Australia.

I am a kiwi and will be buying in the US so have investigated this at length.

Have a wonderful trip and good hunting.
Mexdon,
I left my run a bit late for the B1/B2 visa. I'd heard about the VWP and figured that was all I'd need. It probably is all I need to find the boat, but then I might need more time.
From their website it looks like we'd be unlikely to get the visa before we fly out in a fortnight.
If we find the boat in USA, I'll find out what they require to facilitate what we need and do it. A trip out of the country is no big deal really.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:40   #41

Boatman,
That timber boat is amazing!
Steel is a concern because checking for rust in hidden areas is difficult.
In an earlier life I was a glassy contractor, so GRP works for me. I've even got the synapse free zones to prove it
The Vagabond is a good looking boat. I've been talking to the owners. It's in Spain at the moment. It's only drawback is the athwart berth in the stern cabin, but it appears to be in very good condition.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:52   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
I had a boat in Malaysia for 5 years and spent much time between Langkawi and Singapore. There were so many boats for sail that we're turnkey cruise ready that we couldn't believe it.

Best place we saw was at Kuah yacht club in Langkawi, Pangor Island and Singapore. The theory was that retired couples bought their boats spent a couple of years doing the milk run and then once they got to Malaysia they were either afraid/unable to do the Indian and the capes or there were age related issues like sudden illness. We saw many boats that were "distress" sales due to one partner falling I'll. The boats tended to be in the 40 to 50 foot range. It has been about 5 years since I was there.

South Africa and more specifically cape town is also another good place to both buy a boat and or do a massive refit on one.

Hope that helps
I went to boarding school about 30 miles east of Cape Town near the Hottentots Holland Mountains.
I tried to Google brokers in Malaysia... not too much success. I'll check again tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
personally,"VIRTUAL DECK SCRUBBER"might have been a better choice,deck scrubber implies "the one who gets all the dirty jobs onboard!!!"

happy hunting,ps eastern med is pretty good for bargins.
Atoll,
I get to scrub the Deck Scrubber... it's her reward for being dirty

We're going to be in the Greek Islands, virtually on the Turkish border.
Any suggestions for places to look in the eastern Med?

Vic

Old 02-02-2012, 05:59   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Yep! San Carlos/Guaymas and La Paz have a ton of boats and few buyers, more so because of all the media hysteria over the narco violence in Mexico. There are two 50 footers for sale on my dock alone that look good, here at Marina Palmira. La Paz Yachts probably lists them. Good luck with your search.
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:02   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Scrubber View Post
WHAT???? 50 knot fronts.....CAPTAIN...u didn't tell me this?
We're working on a 'need to know' basis.....
She'll be right, Mate...