Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47   #61
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Its an easy drive, your first time getting through tj can be a bit tricky as it is a litle confusing getting to the transpennisular road. The main issue with the border is the morning and evening rush bour traffic which cAn take hours to get through. If you leave at off peak hours the crossing is a breeze, going back north always takes longer.

Been ages since i have driven through so maybe someone else can give you better details on timing, we used to always go really really early in the morning and if possible on a weekend morning.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38   #62

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: And Now The Hunt Begins

Thanks for that.

There are a few things I'd better check out.... I'm in a rental car, so I need to know if they allow it, and if the insurance will still cover the car there. And more importantly could I get the car accross the border and back without .

Also, we're here on the Visa waiver program, from Australia. It gives us 90 days in USA, but is only available if we're entering with a commercial carrier, usually airline of ship. I suppose it would apply to trains and coaches too. Just need to be sure it applies to rental cars!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54   #63

Boat: Just sold 38' Creekmore

Last Dec. I sold my 38ft. Creekmore in Trinidad and flew to Florida to start the hunt for a larger, 42-47ft. replacement. In Florida I needed transport plus accomodation so I couldn't resist a 26ft. motorhome for $6000.
So far we've looked at boats on the east and west coasts of Florida, south coast of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana and down the coast of Texas.
Now we're in central Mexico heading (leisurely) for Nuevo Vallerto,Mazatlan and then north to the Sea of Cortez, with a side (bus) trip to Rio Dulce, Guatemala probably.
Maybe our trails will cross, we're getting closer! It would be great to compare notes.
Duncan
dspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59   #64

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
That aft cabin is great.
Any idea how practical it would be to take a drive from San Diego to Ensenada? It's not that far, but I'm not familiar with USA/Mexico border crossing issues.
It is an easy drive. I have PMed you the sellers email he contact in direct and he may meet you at the border.
good luck-
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00   #65

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspriggs View Post
Last Dec. I sold my 38ft. Creekmore in Trinidad and flew to Florida to start the hunt for a larger, 42-47ft. replacement. In Florida I needed transport plus accomodation so I couldn't resist a 26ft. motorhome for $6000.
So far we've looked at boats on the east and west coasts of Florida, south coast of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana and down the coast of Texas.
Now we're in central Mexico heading (leisurely) for Nuevo Vallerto,Mazatlan and then north to the Sea of Cortez, with a side (bus) trip to Rio Dulce, Guatemala probably.
Maybe our trails will cross, we're getting closer! It would be great to compare notes.
Duncan
Welcome to Cruisers Forum.

That could be useful! Who said this was the fun part?

We're looking mainly at Formosa 51, Hudson Force 50, Vagabond 47, and CT54. Right now we're in San Francisco.

What kind of boat are you looking for?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36   #66

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We to are looking for our next boat ! Ive looked at some of the same type boats as you folks are looking at ! and have yet to find one in good enough shape to even make an offer on !! Only found one motor sailer in FL. Nice boat but it has nothing on her but just what ya need to sleep and eat ! to much gear needed, to much extra expense. Hope we both do better soon !! luck to ya
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42   #67

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
We to are looking for our next boat ! Ive looked at some of the same type boats as you folks are looking at ! and have yet to find one in good enough shape to even make an offer on !! Only found one motor sailer in FL. Nice boat but it has nothing on her but just what ya need to sleep and eat ! to much gear needed, to much extra expense. Hope we both do better soon !! luck to ya
Hi, have you seen Jack_Tar's Angelique a Formosa 51. From all reports she is in excellent condition and has been reduced to 150K asking. He has posted it on CF classified ads.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 15:43   #68

Boat: Just sold 38' Creekmore

I'm really keen on KP 44/46s, but that could change..when I was in New Orleans there were a couple of Formosa 51's available, one of which starred in "Capt. Ron" if thats any recommendation

Duncan
dspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:02   #69

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Hi, have you seen Jack_Tar's Angelique a Formosa 51. From all reports she is in excellent condition and has been reduced to 150K asking. He has posted it on CF classified ads.
I am with Mexdon here Vic, tough to find the boat you are looking for in good shape that does not need major work. We bought a CT 56 in Brunie that was laid in 1999 (commisioned by the owner as he so loved these boats) as we wanted all the same things as you. Beautiful boat, comfortable as anything and at 35 tonnes is hard to throw around ina storm. Takes 15kts to move her and cant point worth a damn although the new sails help a lot but as you say, who's in a hurry anyway. Love that aft cabin and lots of room for a forward stateroom as well. We even tore out the port cabin and built in a tool/work station complete with SS work bench and installed a 5" vice.

Presently in SE Asia and I agree that the cheapest prices I have seen are right here. Probably because of all the boats stalled due to the inability to cross the Indian Ocean to the Red Sea. I wouldn't want to try and sell our boat here as we would lose our shirts on her. Maby worth a look here to see what is available in Langkawi or Singapore and Thailand. Closer to home for you and you may just decide to stick around these parts as the weather and the seas are the best in the world.

Good luck on you search
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote