Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:07   #46

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: And Now The Hunt Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...Hawaii is one
There is a Formosa 51 that sold there about 4 months ago. Now I see it is back on the market at a higher price, with some new work done. Sounds a bit suspicious.
Also a great looking Vagabond 47. It's pricy and hasn't been on long enough for the owner to realize he isn't going to get that kind of money.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:59   #47

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Look for places where people sail and then throw in the towel. Hawaii is one such place (as mentioned above). The Carribean is another, especially the Southern Carribean.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:31   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

bodrum,marmaris,kusadasi,gocek,fetiyhy,finike,anta lya are the main yachting centers

here are a couple of people that can help out in the area

yachts

Finike Yachting Brokerage - Home Page
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49   #49
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I went to boarding school about 30 miles east of Cape Town near the Hottentots Holland Mountains.
I tried to Google brokers in Malaysia... not too much success. I'll check again tomorrow.
The Broker is called Pippen Marine and is in the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club

Royal Langkawi Yacht Club - Home
Pippen Marine (M) Sdn Bhd

A yacht brokerage establishment specializing on consultation and brokering/selling pre-owned yachts in Langkawi.
Email: pippenmarine@gmail.com
Tel: +6017 465 5019

hope that helps

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58   #50
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

re: pippen marine...

we came very close to buying a boat here. In fact we had secured a 10k deposit on a lovely aluminum sloop that was turnkey ready for sailing. The owners had just finished a 65k refit at the Wavemaster facility on the island and then one of them fell very ill and they had to sell.

I had a surveyor lined up, flew out over Xmas with the intention to buy immediatley post survey.

Literally while I was in the air on my way down the son of the family decided that the boat was his inheritance and loaded it up with supplies and left in the middle of the night.

Pippen was exceptionally helpful in working with the Coast Guard both Malay and Thai to attempt to sort everything out.

Ended up not finding the boat but not for lack of involvement with the Broker. I was refunded my full deposit immediately and informed that should the family or son step foot in Malaysia again I would be notified and could pursue a civil claim for my airfare and expenses. The named surveyor also waived his fee even though he was booked out and missed a day of work.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 01:19   #51

Left Sydney in a swamp of tears, mostly female. Aparently there is a difference between happy tears, sad tears, and we'll miss you tears. Still can't figure it out after 64 years...

25 hours travelling later and we got to Athens. Did the usual ancient ruins thing for a day while we killed time before we get a ferry to Leros to look at a Hudson Force 50, Venice layout.

It was a good day. Now I'm prepared for the boat hunt... I know what an unslavageable ruin looks like

Old 17-02-2012, 01:50   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: And Now The Hunt Begins

Good luck with the 'Hunt' Vic...
my journey starts today as well..
In 40hrs I'll know whether to laugh or cry....
Keep smilin...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 11:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Good luck with the 'Hunt' Vic...
my journey starts today as well..
In 40hrs I'll know whether to laugh or cry....
Keep smilin...
Good luck Boatman, That's one helluva trip. Look forward to hearing all about it!

Old 18-02-2012, 16:13   #54

Boat: 20' Montego

For anyone reading this. Today 2/18, I saw an ad on Craigsist, Baltimore MD for a Bristol 40 yawl in Eassex MD. I once owned a Bristol40 cutter. What a classy boat! A poor mans Hinkley Bermuid 40. Shoal draft. Mine was 5'6" husband died and the motor is "gone" $10,000 asking. Someone please check this out. I'm refurbusing a Contest 27, or I'd be having a serious conversation with my wife.
raybrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 18:30   #55

Boat: Columbia 10.7. 35’

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybrett View Post
For anyone reading this. Today 2/18, I saw an ad on Craigsist, Baltimore MD for a Bristol 40 yawl in Eassex MD. I once owned a Bristol40 cutter. What a classy boat! A poor mans Hinkley Bermuid 40. Shoal draft. Mine was 5'6" husband died and the motor is "gone" $10,000 asking. Someone please check this out. I'm refurbusing a Contest 27, or I'd be having a serious conversation with my wife.
Have you spoken to the seller? Any more information about this boat?
Larry Wilson
Old 22-02-2012, 09:34   #56

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I doubt if either a Hinckley B-40 or a Bristol 40 would meet VirtualVagabond's interior space requirements. I'd be looking for something like a Sunward ketch. The one currently for sale in FL looks a little overpriced; I've seen them for less. There's also a big Perry-designed Cheoy Lee Ketch for sale in Florida for a song. It probably needs a ton of work, but....

1981 Cheoy Lee 48' Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale -
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I doubt if either a Hinckley B-40 or a Bristol 40 would meet VirtualVagabond's interior space requirements. I'd be looking for something like a Sunward ketch. The one currently for sale in FL looks a little overpriced; I've seen them for less. There's also a big Perry-designed Cheoy Lee Ketch for sale in Florida for a song. It probably needs a ton of work, but....

1981 Cheoy Lee 48' Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale -
Thanks Curmudgeon.
That boat looks good, as does the price.

I haven't been on CF for a few weeks. Busy trying to find the dream

We've been trying to find the best set of compromises to live with. We're looking at a long term home here, so things you can live with for a month can become a deal killer if you imagine it being part of your life for years.

The 'someone has to climb over' berth is a big issue. So we need to find an island berth, or at least one where each body can slide off the end.

It limits the options dramatically, particularly when looking at older, heavy displacement boats. Which is another requirement. For comfort in dodgy weather, we need a boat that moves like an iceberg, not a champagne cork.

We expect to be at anchor a lot, so a pilothouse makes a lot of sense as opposed to living in a cave.

So far we've come up with three boats we'd like to chop up and reassemble into one!

As far as a design goes, the Hudson Force 50 Venice is very good. But only the Venice. Apart from the one in Greece which is way too much of a project for now, there is not another one on the market anywhere that we can find.
We've seen some great Formosa 51s, with most of the upgrades done and problems sorted out to turn them into the kind of boat Garden had in mind. Maybe one will end up being the set of compromises we have to live with, but for now we're still naive enough to keep looking.

So, after Greece, Holland, England and a couple of states in the US, the hunt continues.
We've survived a night in Salem... no bite marks on either of us, and we're headed to San Francisco, looking for Gold I guess...

Old 11-03-2012, 10:19   #58

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Hi VirtualVagabond, Have you seen or heard of the Liberty boats, I was about to make an offer on a Liberty 49 late last year when is was withdrawn from sale. I have since had some discussions with the owner of this boat which is at the moment in Ensenada Mexico.

I have decided to buy a little larger as It will also be my base to work from however these boats should tick the boxes for you especially the island berth.

1984 Liberty 458 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I can give you his email if you PM me.
Good luck with the hunt.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:26   #59

There is a 56 ft Nautical Development down in Texas near Corpus Christi that with a little work would probably be just what you are looking for. For the price there is lots of room to make improvements.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 00:04   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Hi VirtualVagabond, Have you seen or heard of the Liberty boats, I was about to make an offer on a Liberty 49 late last year when is was withdrawn from sale. I have since had some discussions with the owner of this boat which is at the moment in Ensenada Mexico.

I have decided to buy a little larger as It will also be my base to work from however these boats should tick the boxes for you especially the island berth.

1984 Liberty 458 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I can give you his email if you PM me.
Good luck with the hunt.
That aft cabin is great.
Any idea how practical it would be to take a drive from San Diego to Ensenada? It's not that far, but I'm not familiar with USA/Mexico border crossing issues.