Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:27   #31

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Anchoring Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaarch View Post
cqr is a good choice with some chain
Opinions.

Mine is that as anchors go, CQRs make good mailbox posts compared to the alternatives available today.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:11   #32

Boat: Bristol 24
I just purchased a 45# CQR anchor off Craigslist for a couple dollars. I know it is big for my little B24, but, I thought that I couldn't really go wrong picking it up at that price. Plus, it should hold my boat pretty effectively.

Now, I need to look into a roller for it and some way to mount it that doesn't run the risk of damaging the boat.

The new anchor is quite a bit larger than the danforth.

I think I will move the danforth to the stern and have it there if needed.

Dan
Muscongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 15:06   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
One other thing. . . . Keep your Danforth and rode to use as a stern anchor. There are plenty of places (some of the best) where there's only room to fit into a "slot" anchorage if you don't swing. Also some places you really want to keep the bow facing the incoming swell. Strategic use of a stern anchor can greatly expand your anchoring opportunities.

Here's one of my favorite slot anchorages (look for the red dot), on Cliff Island, Casco Bay. Room for only one boat, maybe 50 feet wide at low tide and 4 feet deep. No one else would ever want to be there. . . . but we do!
I liked this post! Especially since I was recently anchored only a few hundred yards from Cormorant's "red dot" an woke to this status....

This is one reason why I like a full keel with a big rudder shoe! No damage and little concern on the small gravel and sand, but Cormorant's stern anchor would have suited me well!
Old 09-10-2012, 15:21   #34

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

If you get a bow roller of sufficient size (this will probably cost more than you paid for the anchor) you should be able to store it on the roller on your bow. Look at pictures of other boats. With a 45 lb, and at least 30' of chain, if you set well (technique is as important as how much you spend on your anchor--read Chapman's for a good explanation of the process) you are not going anywhere. You will next want a windlass, then a wash down pump to clean the chain and rode, and somewhere in there you will want a bigger boat to carry all this gear.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 15:36   #35

Boat: Bristol 34

All good advice here, but once the basics are understood (and you need at a minimum chain the length of your boat - double is better!!) there is a certain "zen" to anchoring that only comes with experience. A few things I have found that let me sleep better at night (aside from an anchor drag alarm) are:

(I presume you have a motor, for the technique is different under sail)

1). Patience. Once you drop it let the anchor settle first, have a break, then slowly start pulling back on it.
2). Start pulling back gradually at first, wait, have a beer, then put some more pressure on it.
3). When you think it is set, continue pulling back then feel the rode, as you can get a vibration if it is dragging.
4). Once you are satisfied you are set, power pack hard. Pick an object on shore and line it up with an object on the boat.

Like anything in sailing, it takes practice to get confidence. Make anchoring a part of your day sails if for nothing else than to get comfortable with it.

Hope this helps - and you have a great little boat in the Bristol!
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 15:54   #36

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

That is pretty big for your boat, but could serve as a good storm anchor too, if well set. As long as you can effectively mount it on the bow, and handle the weight with some chain, then you got a deal. Moving that anchor around the boat, or stowing it otherwise, could be a real chore. On my old 5 ton Cape Dory 30, sans windlass, I used a 25 lb CQR and over thousands of miles and many nights, I never dragged. With a (marginal) manual windlass on my 7 ton Crealock 34 I'm happy with the CQR 35 and Bruce 33, along with the other Danforth on stern, and a big fortress stowed for certain scenarios.

I keep a danforth on my stern as an e-brake for bridges, fouled prop in a channel, kedging, etc. I have the bracket type mount but I've seen others use PVC pipe mounted vertically.

Focus on technique with your new anchor, as a properly set smaller anchor, with adequate scope will outperform a bigger anchor with too little scope, when the wind, current, or waves start cranking.

Happy cruising and good luck staying put-
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 16:04   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscongus View Post
I never considered the 5:1 rode.

Someone had mentioned that my boat's draft was needed info - it is 3-1/2 feet.

I'll see about getting a different anchor, too.

Someone asked about chain length - chain's about 4' long and I have about 60' of anchor line attached to that.

Not too sure where I can anchor and avoid lobstermen though...
Keep in mind that the 5:1 includes your bow height (2'-3' for that size of boat)

So if the tidal state is currently 6' and will be going up to 11' at the next high or the highest high between now and when you anticipate leaving, then the "1" of "5:1" will be current depth (lets say 9' just for arguments sake) plus max increase in depth (11' - 6' = 5') plus bow height (2'). So total depth to bow will be 9' + 5' + 2' = 16'. Five times that is 80' of rode should be out.

You need to know your depth so you don't go aground as the tide falls. Let's say the next low or the lowest low before you will leave is 2.5' so the tidal state will drop 3.5' between now and the low (6 - 2.5' = 3.5'). If the water depth is currently 9' then the shallowest it will be right here is 5.5' (9' -3.5' = 5.5'). Your boat draws 3.5' so your worst clearance will be 2' (5.5' - 3.5' = 2'). For a sandy bottom I would be fine with 2' and OK with 1'. If the bottom were rocky, especially if it were uneven I would be a lot happier with 3'-5' clearance, there might be a boulder sticking up that could catch the keel.

As far as anchors go the Danforth and other fluke anchors are better for straight line pulls in sand or mud without big veers or reversals of pull. I would get a general purpose anchor such as a hinged plow (CQR), fixed plow (Delta), finger anchor (Bruce or Claw) or a newer spoon anchor (supreme, Rocna, Spade). Arguements about which is the very best aside, they will all perform acceptably. For your size boats 25lb would be a good size and 20lb would be fine.

In general you want at least one boat length of chain as a leader to the anchor. If you are OK with the cost and weight 100-150' would be better. The advantage is the chain is a lot less susceptible to chafe on a rocky bottom and the weight will keep the boat from veering back and forth very far when at anchor in moderate to light winds. For your size boat you could use 1/4" BBB or 3/16" high test chain. Unfortunately 3/16" of either grade is not being hot dipped galvanized so what is available is not a good buy for boats in saltwater. On the other hand some industrial grades of 316 stainless 3/16"chain are price competitive with 1/4" anchor chain. You don't get quite the strength of 1/4" but it is still strong enough to be safe. If you do go with stainless chain make sure it is 316 not 304 stainless.

For the line portion of the rode 7/16" should be fine for your size boat. Whatever you get it needs to be all nylon for the elasticity. Plaited 8 strand handles a little better, laid 3 strand has a bit more elasticity. I don't know how deep the waters tend to be there but if I were going with a boat length of chain leader I would add at least 300' of line to that. For a 100-150' leader I would add at least 200' of line.

If you decide to go with the longer leader get a bow roller and a chain stopper. With the roller you minimize chafe on the boat and friction as you pull the anchor up. The chain stopper holds the chain while you lean forward to grab the chain a bit farther along. See link for a photo of a cheap chain stopper: Windline Chain Stopper
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49   #38

Thanks, again, everyone! Really helpful advice and great instructions. I am REALLY happy that we didn't drift into the rocks that night!

I'm going to install that 45# CQR anchor over the winter - have to look at a roller for it and will, hopefully, be able to secure the anchor to it and keep it out of the way of the jib (and keep it from damaging the boat!).

I'll get atleast 50' of chain - either 1/4" anchor or 3/16" stainless - & replace the line with some 1/2" a couple hundred feet long.

I am also going to move the danforth to the stern and add a cleat for it.

'Course, all that will happen after I paint the boat and refinish the bright work. :-)

Dan
Old 10-10-2012, 13:21   #39

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Stainless chain is crazy expensive and generally a weird affectation only seen on megayachts. . . .

Look for good 1/4" high-tensile chain (galvanized), like G4.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 13:39   #40

Thanks Comorant! I'll look at both. I have an account at an industrial fasteners place that I may be able to get good pricing from. I'll do a little comparison shopping.

A B24 is no yacht (unless I compare it to my first little 14' center board boat, that is!)

Dan
Old 10-10-2012, 13:49   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
I'm going to install that 45# CQR anchor over the winter - have to look at a roller for it and will, hopefully, be able to secure the anchor to it and keep it out of the way of the jib (and keep it from damaging the boat!).
That might be overkill for your boat. Take a peek at the CQR Anchor Selection chart, and you'll discover that a 25# CQR is what the company would recommend for your size boat. They recommend the 44# for boats starting in the mid-40' range.

Most cruisers like to go one size up over the recommendations, but that's just because they like to sleep at night.
Old 10-10-2012, 14:03   #42

Thing is, I already own the 45# CQR - no sense in not using what I already own, even if it's over kill.

Dan
Old 10-10-2012, 14:18   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Muscongus,

IF you can physically stow and handle the 45 lb anchor, there is absolutely no reason to not use it. Overkill is a term for nuke weaponry, not anchors! Having a oversized anchor will serve you in good stead when you are forced to anchor on short scope, or in a poor bottom, or in all the other situations where the standard anchor size might not be adequate... and if you go cruising, you WILL find yourself in those sorts of situations.

I'd avoid the s/s chain myself. Lots of dodgy s/s chain floating about the marketplace, and IMO 3/16 is too small: we use 3/16 chain on our dinghy anchor!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-10-2012, 14:19   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thing is, I already own the 45# CQR - no sense in not using what I already own, even if it's over kill.
Two comments. First I almost always go at least one size up from recommended sizes in anchors.

Second, I can think of plenty of situations where you would wish for a bigger anchor. Only time I might wish for a smaller anchor is after hoisting it by hand four or five times.

Actually did happen once. Got caught at the dock in a really strong norther in the Bahamas. Managed to get away without damage and motored over to the anchorage which proved to be really full of other boats hiding out from the storm. Passed a large cove on the way to the main anchorage with only one boat in it so thought, why not anchor there???

Found out why. I motored in, dropped the anchor in about 8' of water and proceeded to drag half a mile across the harbor. Pulled in the 45 lb CQR that I had on my 32' boat, motored back into the harbor but a couple of hundred yards away and tried again, with the same result. Tried again a couple hundred yards in the other direction and a little closer in, same result. After the 5-6 try I didn't think I was going to be able to pull the anchor aboard another time. Gave up, went to the other anchorage and found the biggest spot I could find and hooked in nice and solid.

So, how good is your back?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 14:29   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Most cruisers like to go one size up over the recommendations, but that's just because they like to sleep at night.
I really wanted to go 2 sizes up, but didn't tink I could pull it back up if the windlass had a problem.

As it is people still make fun of my anchor as being so big, but what the heck! So I guess that means it is about the right size!

Tags
anchor, anchoring