Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2021, 16:27   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
A room (or boat) with a view

I have a fairly common problem. Wife doesn't love the boat, but for a different reason than most.

She enjoys boats and boating but has had some issues with skin cancer. So far not too serious but she should limit sun exposure for the rest of her life. Part of this entails staying out of the sun during the middle of the day.

After a couple of cat charters and trips with family in a large power boat the solution seems to be a boat with windows and a view. Current boat is a fairly typical monohull where you are pretty much down in a cave once you go below. A bimini and boom tent help but you still get a lot of reflected sun exposure so that is not an acceptable solution.

The most obvious, easy solution is a cat and we're considering that but for various reasons a monohull might be a better choice for us.

I have found a number of monohulls with raised salons aka deck salons or pilothouse layouts but so far all I have found the windows are high up in the cabin so sitting at a table in the salon you still can't see out.

Any suggestions for a boat that fits the following?

- 45-55' more or less.
- Not a "motor sailor". Want a boat that will sail reasonably. Doesn't have to be a race boat but don't want to have to crank the engine to move in light air.
- Budget around $300,000 more or less. Less is better but for a great boat more is possible.
- A boat with a protected, covered or inside sitting/lounging/hangout area where you can easily see the scenery and view outside.

Additional preferences
- moderate draft, not much more than 6'
- ICW friendly mast height if possible
- sloop or cutter but could live with a ketch.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 16:39   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: A room (or boat) with a view

I think what you are describing is a deck salon or deck saloon, Moody makes one of the most elegant but Jeanneau and other builders have some as well as a few semi custom like Sirius.
https://www.hanseyachtsag.com/moody/...ts/moody-ds45/
https://www.jeanneau.com/en/boats/sa...odyssey-44-ds/
https://www.sirius-yachts.com/yachts/40ds/
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 16:43   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have a fairly common problem. Wife doesn't love the boat, but for a different reason than most.

She enjoys boats and boating but has had some issues with skin cancer. So far not too serious but she should limit sun exposure for the rest of her life. Part of this entails staying out of the sun during the middle of the day.

After a couple of cat charters and trips with family in a large power boat the solution seems to be a boat with windows and a view. Current boat is a fairly typical monohull where you are pretty much down in a cave once you go below. A bimini and boom tent help but you still get a lot of reflected sun exposure so that is not an acceptable solution.

The most obvious, easy solution is a cat and we're considering that but for various reasons a monohull might be a better choice for us.

I have found a number of monohulls with raised salons aka deck salons or pilothouse layouts but so far all I have found the windows are high up in the cabin so sitting at a table in the salon you still can't see out.

Any suggestions for a boat that fits the following?

- 45-55' more or less.
- Not a "motor sailor". Want a boat that will sail reasonably. Doesn't have to be a race boat but don't want to have to crank the engine to move in light air.
- Budget around $300,000 more or less. Less is better but for a great boat more is possible.
- A boat with a protected, covered or inside sitting/lounging/hangout area where you can easily see the scenery and view outside.

Additional preferences
- moderate draft, not much more than 6'
- ICW friendly mast height if possible
- sloop or cutter but could live with a ketch.
Here are two candidates: Moody 41DS and Elliot North Shore 50

Both have main salon at the same level as the cockpit and the salons are as airy as a multihull. I know the Elliot better, it is an absolutely awesome boat with an interior forward and aft that has to be seen to be believed. Three cabins, washer dryer, main deck galley, and a 3 foot draft with lifting keel. Plus it is very FAST.

So if these two exist there must be others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moody DS41.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	244113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 5-Solar, Mariah, At Dock.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	244114  

Old 22-08-2021, 17:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Here are two candidates: Moody 41DS and Elliot North Shore 50

Both have main salon at the same level as the cockpit and the salons are as airy as a multihull. I know the Elliot better, it is an absolutely awesome boat with an interior forward and aft that has to be seen to be believed. Three cabins, washer dryer, main deck galley, and a 3 foot draft with lifting keel. Plus it is very FAST.

So if these two exist there must be others.
Found just a couple of Elliotts on line. Priced close to $700,000. Moody 41DS looked like a perfect fit but the listings I found were around $500,000. If I spent that much on a boat I would end up with just a boat and the wife would get the house and all the rest.
Old 22-08-2021, 17:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I think what you are describing is a deck salon or deck saloon, Moody makes one of the most elegant but Jeanneau and other builders have some as well as a few semi custom like Sirius.
https://www.hanseyachtsag.com/moody/...ts/moody-ds45/
https://www.jeanneau.com/en/boats/sa...odyssey-44-ds/
https://www.sirius-yachts.com/yachts/40ds/
Yes a deck salon is what I mentioned in my original post. I had already looked at the Jeanneau but like many other designs you have to stand in the cabin to see out of the windows so not the solution.

Never heard of the Sirius but it seems to fit the requirements for visibility. However from the video on the website the windows did not look like something I would take offshore. Hard to tell from a video. More investigation could be warranted.

The Moody DSD looks like the closest so far but a good bit above what I could spend stay happily married.
Old 22-08-2021, 18:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One more thing to add. I would really, really prefer a boat without teak decks. That's been a "feature" on most I've found so far.
Old 22-08-2021, 19:04   #7

Actually when my wife saw the Sirius she wanted me to sell her house and get on a flight to Germany and bring one home poste haste, she's different.
Friend and I passed a new Moody 54 and we turned and followed for a mile out of our way just to watch it and try and figure how they put a catamaran like cabin on and still have decent side decks.
Old 22-08-2021, 19:35   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Actually when my wife saw the Sirius she wanted me to sell her house and get on a flight to Germany and bring one home poste haste, she's different.
Friend and I passed a new Moody 54 and we turned and followed for a mile out of our way just to watch it and try and figure how they put a catamaran like cabin on and still have decent side decks.
Did you see a Sirius in person? Any information on the brand, quality?
Old 22-08-2021, 19:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Dug around on the Siruis website. Sounds like a great boat and the 40DS would be about right. But it's a new model so no used ones on the market and new, base price starts at €521,000 and goes up from there as you add options.
Old 22-08-2021, 20:32   #10

They've been making boats since 71 and deck salons since 88 and the current director is founders son. I've not been able to locate any in North America and seems impossible without going to Europe. Saw an ad for one of the 31 ft from 88 on east coast Canada once otherwise zip. Far as I could see pretty much hand built with any configuration imaginable. Finding a used one would be like hitting the lottery I fear. I got an email when they introduced the 310 in 2011 and have tried keeping a lookout for one but haven't got the lucky ticket yet. I'm getting past the point of breaking in a new boat anyway.
In case you haven't already seen this:
https://sailboatdata.com/builder/sirius-werft-gmbh
Old 22-08-2021, 20:45   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Take a peek at a Van de Stadt Tasman. If you can find one in aluminum, she should meet your performance requirements, and the view from the deck saloon is good. Some may have teak decks, others, not.

Another possibility would be a Van de Stadt Samoa, they have quite a long hard dodger. May I also suggest she wear sun screen if she's on the water at all, so much UV gets reflected up off the water onto one's skin.

We found them "cavy" below, but it might work for you.

Anyhow, good luck with your search.

Ann
Old 22-08-2021, 21:26   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I know what you mean, I have to stay out of the sun as much as I can too. You can find boats fitted with hard dodgers with covers over the cockpit occasionally. But just having a hard dodger is a good start IMO. There is a beautiful old custom boat near me with this set-up, I'll see if I can get some photos next time I am by her. I think she is an older S&S design.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 00:21   #13

Dufour atoll is what you seek.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/dufour-atoll-6-5-cabin-3698174/
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 01:53   #14

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post

Everything is a compromise, money, house, boat, wife!
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 03:48   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

noelex 77 & Seaworthy Lass had a ‘room /w a view’, on their new boat.
Bestevaer 49ST ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post1842088

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat