Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2018, 12:53   #46
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Gay sail Phuket Thailand from Philippines Fall 2018

No, acceptance of being open about differences is critical to equality and acceptance.

A woman teacher talking to her young students about her family, keeping a photo of her wife on her desk should seen as natural and unremarkable as a man doing so, no raised eyebrows or questioning would be appropriate.

It is very important for kids to be exposed to as much variety as possible of different family types as young as possible, just as with different races and religions.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 19:17   #47

Boat: Morgan 382

I was not talking about a picture. Teachers need to teach school subjects, not sexual practice, or morals which is the parents duty. Again, I don't care what anyone else chooses or does not choose to do. I just don't want to hear it hetero or homo. If someone is looking for crew for a cruise do so. If they choose to discuss other human activities, that should be done after contact is made. How about if a man posts for female crew for a cruise involving intimate contact? Would that not be considered inappropriate?
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 19:28   #48
cruiser

The OP's motivation in putting the Gay up front was to help people that may be uncomfortable in that environment avoid being inconvenienced.

No one was trying to solicit any flavour of sexual companionship, and it would be up to the owner of each site/forum to decide whether doing so or not that would be appropriate.

What you "want to read / hear" or not is irrelevant, you're not a special snowflake that needs your bigoted sensitivities protected. If a thread is not aligned with your interests, you are **free** to just ignore it and move on.

Sexual and gender preferences are not issues of "morality". Diversity of all kinds is to be openly celebrated.
Old 23-05-2018, 20:23   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
My point is I don't care what someones orientation is! But I also don't understand why some feel it's necessary to even bring it up and advertise it. Most alternative persons I know seem to have a propensity to bring up their sexuality at every opportunity. I really don't care to hear it! I don't go around proclaiming my hetero life style. It's no ones business. I wish that others would do the same.
I think your missing the point.
It is all about communication!

The OP communicated that the boat was oriented towards a sexual minority which really needed to be said upfront.

I just wish all boat owners looking for specific needs or attitudes in finding crew could be so honest.

But unfortunately, recreational criticisms from 3rd party readers, tends to inhibit honesty.
Shame really!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 20:39   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
recreational criticisms from 3rd party readers,
Great phrase, Pelagic! I may borrow it at appropriate moments...

Jim
Old 09-06-2018, 14:50   #51

Boat: 1978 Cascade 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
My point is I don't care what someones orientation is! But I also don't understand why some feel it's necessary to even bring it up and advertise it. Most alternative persons I know seem to have a propensity to bring up their sexuality at every opportunity. I really don't care to hear it! I don't go around proclaiming my hetero life style. It's no ones business. I wish that others would do the same.
I think that the whole point of putting it out on the table in the initial post was to weed people like you out of the labor pool. How would you feel if you applied for and accepted this position only to find out when you arrive in the Philippines that it is a gay cruise?

And to "pbmaise", this sounds like an awesome opportunity, and although I have other plans for the year I just wanted to compliment you on the great name you chose for the business. Hot Buoys is the best gay sailing pun I've ever heard.
MercyfulBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 15:43   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyfulBait View Post
I think that the whole point of putting it out on the table in the initial post was to weed people like you out of the labor pool. How would you feel if you applied for and accepted this position only to find out when you arrive in the Philippines that it is a gay cruise?

And to "pbmaise", this sounds like an awesome opportunity, and although I have other plans for the year I just wanted to compliment you on the great name you chose for the business. Hot Buoys is the best gay sailing pun I've ever heard.
Thanks! I read the name in a book even before I purchased my vessel. It is supposedly a lighted buoy. I instantly thought it would be a great name for a vessel that I intended for a commercial business. Further, the European pronunciation of buoy as well as Australian. Seems the US and perhaps Canada is the only place it is a two syllable word.

I paid to have the named lettering, however, have not yet applied the name to the hull. Hence many think the name of my vessel is Volcano and is registered in Hawaii USA. The reality is Volcano is the name of the town.

I have reworked my website and don't call my trip between the Philippines and Thailand a "gay trip". I do still say it has a gay captain. Actually we are two captains now since Noli passed his captain examine here in the Philippines.
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 16:13   #53

Boat: Morgan 382

The personal information (which is what this is) should be communicated during contact with the skipper when all of the necessary information is shared. Any info hidden until the crew arrives is borderline criminal.
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 20:40   #54
cruiser

Earlier the better, nothing wrong with shouting it from the rooftops.

Except for practical reasons, e.g. in jurisdictions where radical religious extremists still have the power to wrongfully persecute people for how God made them.
Old 29-08-2018, 17:12   #55

Ahoy there!

Are you still looking for crew? I'll PM more info if you are.
OZ-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 00:59   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I have a full crew between Philippines and Thailand. After I reach Thailand in November 11th I will need crew to help go back to Langkawi. Philip
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 20:04   #57

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36

I stumbled across this thread looking for info on the area. I then proceeded to check out your link, it looks like you have had success with getting paying passengers on board, congrats !

Would be interested in a summary if you feel up to it someday...little details like how it worked out finding crew, ability to keep to your posted schedule, occupancy rates, etc...
RokNRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:13   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RoknRich,

Suggest you PM the OP, here. It is unlikely he will return to this thread, imo.

Ann

Tags
gay, Philippines, sail, Thailand