Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 00:46   #1

Boat: Saba 50
Sailing from Cyprus to Jordan in November

Hi....We are looking to take our Lagoon 421 to Jordan this winter, leaving from Cyprus in late October/early November. We figure Jordan is safe from ISIS - and Israel is too expensive.

Is anyone out there planning a similar trip?

Has anyone else been to Jordan? If so, what marina did you use? Would you recommend it?

Steve and Dee
S/V La Mischief
stull61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 04:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Sailing from Cyprus to Jordan in November

Quote:
Originally Posted by stull61 View Post
Hi....We are looking to take our Lagoon 421 to Jordan this winter, leaving from Cyprus in late October/early November. We figure Jordan is safe from ISIS - and Israel is too expensive.

Has anyone else been to Jordan? If so, what marina did you use? Would you recommend it?

Steve and Dee
S/V La Mischief
I would recommend hurghada marina or El gouna in Egypt rather than Jordan as no anchorages in the gulf of aquaba if you want to do a bit of gunkholing over the winter.

Hurghada marina is also the cheapest with good shopping,security nightlife,boatyards etc and cheap flights to Europe.

lots of protected nearby anchorages with great coral and fishing during the winter
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 05:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

you might be interested in the rally that has been going down there for the last few years,sounds like they had lots of fun,there is also a thread on cf regarding the rally

https://www.facebook.com/redseasailingsafari?fref=ts

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-117447.html
Old 31-08-2015, 06:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve & Dee.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 07:29   #5
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter

See ya out there.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 07:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi, yes we stayed a while on anchor there but agree with the statement about rather staying in Egypt - far safer for a few months layover. Go to Aqaba for a week or so to give yourselves an opportunity to go to Petra and also to Wadi Rum where Lawrence of Arabia had his camp. Both are within reach and the local buses are not expensive. We hired a local youth to look after the boat whilst we were away and he did a sterling job - the boat was secure and clean when we returned. We have tried a winter in Ashkelon (Israel) and it was not a good experience and proved expensive and resupplies were challenging. We did not like the constant suspicion that many of the locals had for the yotties. Egypt has always been fine (albeit very cold at times) and has plenty of anchorages. The corruption in endemic so you need patience but we never end up paying backshesh - just remain polite and friendly and never show iritation or anger. Beware that place like Hurghada have been extensively changed to what the charts close inshore so eye ball navigation is recommeneded due to the constant development and reclamation but it is very, very easy. You can carry on sailing south as well - we have on occassions left our cat in Eritrea with a really good guy with his own facilities where you tie up to a proper concrete jetty. Food and fuel are hard to come by south of Hurghada. The trip south can be easily broken up with plenty of protected anchorages. Note that the Red Sea pilot book still shows Quseer, south of Hughada, as a port of entry and a harbour - it is now militarised and closed to yotties; though we have found them to be very friendly and accomodating. The Sudanese coast has some great diving. Stock up on your favourites foods and long term staples before transiting the canal. Good luck.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 08:07   #7

Hello,

I have spend one winter in Eilat marina in 1998 and have have been there again in 2005, from there I have visit Petra and haulout my yacht in the Royal Jordan Yacht Club in Aqaba. In 2005 I have been also in the new Talabay marina this is just east of the main Port in Aqaba. Jordan is not cheap but the people are very nice.

An other option is Port Ghalib Marina 125 NM of Hurgada. It,s a very nice place but almost no yachts. There is a international airport (Marsa Alam Internatinal airport with many charters to Europe.I have been here at least 10 times. I have for this marina very detailed maps in ENC root and have pilot books on cd from Egypt, the Gulf of Aqaba and Sudan and Eritrea.

As I have cross the Red Sea 10 times if you like for more info. Please let me know.

Lo Brust
lo brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 00:26   #8

Boat: BAVARIA 40'

I recommend as an Israeli captain Ashkelon Marina about change. Inexpensive, safe, and is a favorite cruise in the Mediterranean Sea in winter. Keep in mind you crossed the canal will cost you some money compartment.
tuvia47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:38   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuvia47 View Post
I recommend as an Israeli captain Ashkelon Marina about change. Inexpensive, safe, and is a favorite cruise in the Mediterranean Sea in winter. Keep in mind you crossed the canal will cost you some money compartment.
We did not have a good experience at Ashkelon - and found it expensive. The cacilities were also very limited. There was zero care for foreign owned boats and the local supermarkets were expensive and not particularly well stocked. So, unless it has changed................
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:17   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
We did not have a good experience at Ashkelon - and found it expensive. The cacilities were also very limited. There was zero care for foreign owned boats and the local supermarkets were expensive and not particularly well stocked. So, unless it has changed................
isreal is the only place in the world were I have seen boats use swaged on wire strops on their fenders,padlocked to the stanction wires

having spent quite a few years in larnaca marina,cyprus we got used to every year having an influx of isreali yachts tying alongside for a few nights on their way to turkey,funny thing was more often than not when the neighbour left early in the morning..........so did half your fenders

must have a fender fetish going on there

moral of the story: if visiting isreal ......take lots of fenders
Old 01-09-2015, 02:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stull61 View Post

Steve and Dee
S/V La Mischief
Steve, are you currently at Karpaz Marina?

Kev
cunningkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:18   #12

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Accuse meno è i am non perfect in gioco, but.... having to choose for a winter-time marina, 54' LOA, Statnie more affidabile , in terms of:

1. Mooring expense
2. Personal/yacht safety
3. Local environment, quality of living, air connections to Italy/Holland

Thanks in advance
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:34   #13

Hello,
For wintering in the Red Sea their are several options. I think the safety or unsafety conditions are for Israel, Jordan and Egypt almost the same.

Egypt have in the Red Sea 3 marinas:

Abu Tig marina El Gouna 25 NM North of Hurghada.
Orascom Marine Management | Abu Tig Marina info@abutigmarina.com

Hurghada marina located in the centre of the town.
Hurghada Marina sherif@hurghadamarinaredsea.com

Port Ghalib located 125NM south of Hurghada.
Nice marina in a resort near Marsa Alam airport, but far from bigger towns.
Port Ghalib, Marina sherif.fawzy@portghalibmarina.com.

Contact deze marinas and ask for the prices. Generally this marinas are the cheapest in North Africa.

Jordan Aqaba.
Talabay marina 15 km from Aqaba town a resort near the main port.
www.talabay.jo/marina ahqatawneh@talabay.jo

Royal Jordan Yacht Club situated in the middle of Aqaba town.
royalyachtclub-jordan.com rycj@wanadoo.jo

Eilat Israel
Marina in the middle of town near the airport.

For more info or questions info@vascodagamarally.nl
lo brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 00:42   #14

Boat: Saba 50

Thanks everyone for your replies and great info. I'm coming to the view that we should head to Jordan and leave boat at Tala Bay Marina in Jordan and leave my boat there whilst I go home for Xmas. I would also visit Petra, the Dead Sea and Israel from there. I reckon I will book in for a couple of months (dec+Jan), then head to Houghada on the way out and spend Feb diving and seeing the Pyramids and the Valley of the Kings. Then I'll head back to the Med in March and see what happens with Schengen (which I hear is being loosened up with a new extended touring visa).

In doing further research I came across Gulf of Aqaba, Saudi Arabia / Egypt | Tamarisk 'Round the World, where these guys had a run in with the Saudi coastguard on their way u the Gulf of Aqaba - something else to watch out for.

In your replies you asked a number of questions which I will answer below:
1. I have talked to the organiser and another participant of the 2014/15 Red Sea Rally. Unfortunately its not happening this year otherwise we would have signed up.
2. We are currently in Turkey. Will be making our way to Cyprus next month. May consider Karpaz Marina, Kev as its probably a lot cheaper than the Southern Cyprus Marinas.

Thanks
Steve and Dee
stull61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:06   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, lo brust, and Kev.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cyprus, sail, sailing