Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 12:20   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ko Olina, Oahu, Hawaii
Boat: Hudson Force 50
Posts: 124
Oahu Ancorage

Hello,

Is anyone aware of a good anchorage between Haleiwa, Oahu and Kaneohe Bay, Oahu?

Rene
__________________

__________________
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 12:35   #2
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Oahu Ancorage

PM SkiprJohn ... He's der mon...

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: SkiprJohn

(I'm at a crucial stage between caffeine and booze)
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 13:29   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Aloha Rene,

There are other Oahu sailors who may know of one but I really don't.

My last residence on Oahu was in Hauula about mid-way between Kaneohe and Haleiwa. I would drive to and from work at Pearl Harbor one way or the other and made the trip for 3 and a half years. In all the time I'd done this and overlooked the ocean I didn't once see an anchored sailing vessel. So I have to say I don't know of any safe anchorages there. Kahana Bay possibly in summer.

Whatever you do to explore the windward side of Oahu the only time is during the summer months when the surf isn't rolling in.

Good luck in your quest and I'd certainly like to know if you do find an anchorage threre.

kindest regards,
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 13:43   #4
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Rene,

There are other Oahu sailors who may know of one but I really don't.

My last residence on Oahu was in Hauula about mid-way between Kaneohe and Haleiwa. I would drive to and from work at Pearl Harbor one way or the other and made the trip for 3 and a half years. In all the time I'd done this and overlooked the ocean I didn't once see an anchored sailing vessel. So I have to say I don't know of any safe anchorages there. Kahana Bay possibly in summer.

Whatever you do to explore the windward side of Oahu the only time is during the summer months when the surf isn't rolling in.

Good luck in your quest and I'd certainly like to know if you do find an anchorage threre.

kindest regards,

Well... at least you got a non-answer answer!

We still like him... smart as a (crippled) whip in most things!

(I think that reads... success in repetitive failure in many areas like the rest of us, and that's the reason we know so much)
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 21:55   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hawaii
Boat: Tartan T4400
Posts: 167
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Yep no good anchorages on that side. Kahana bay is very shallow very few power boats use it.
__________________
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 11:47   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Well... at least you got a non-answer answer!

We still like him... smart as a (crippled) whip in most things!

(I think that reads... success in repetitive failure in many areas like the rest of us, and that's the reason we know so much)
You have to give me credit for having an intelligent and thoughtful way of saying "I don't know," right?

40 foot surf arriving there tomorrow.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 11:55   #7
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
You have to give me credit for having an intelligent and thoughtful way of saying "I don't know," right?

40 foot surf arriving there tomorrow.
Eloquent it was.... Either that or sounding a bit like a politician !!!

To be fair... You actually DID answer the question though...

40 foot you say???? Sounds like tough holding conditions...How much scope do I need for a 40' swell?

I think we need to start an anchor thread...
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 12:33   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Eloquent it was.... Either that or sounding a bit like a politician !!!

To be fair... You actually DID answer the question though...

40 foot you say???? Sounds like tough holding conditions...How much scope do I need for a 40' swell?

I think we need to start an anchor thread...
42 is the answer
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 14:18   #9
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
42 is the answer
Ahhhh....

I shoulda known!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 17:31   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Ahhhh....

I shoulda known!
Yes and make it fathoms.

Really, I've seen the weather report for today and tomorrow where a good storm north and west of us is supposed to bring 40 foot waves to the windward part of Oahu. The big wave surfers are gathered but there probably won't be competition because of the wave and wind combination.

Windward side anchorages suffer during this time of the year because of the weather patterns. This year has brought more big waves than usual.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 17:35   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Are you still with us Rene? When I used to sail the islands I would stay leeward in winter and venture windward only in the summer months. You probably know all this already but just in case. The windward coast of Kauai was my favorite but only in the summer. Hanalei definitely is closed out this time of the year but it really is a beauty of a destination.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 13:01   #12
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Yes and make it fathoms.

Really, I've seen the weather report for today and tomorrow where a good storm north and west of us is supposed to bring 40 foot waves to the windward part of Oahu. The big wave surfers are gathered but there probably won't be competition because of the wave and wind combination.

Windward side anchorages suffer during this time of the year because of the weather patterns. This year has brought more big waves than usual.
42 fathoms of scope then...

Grew up in So Cal... Surfed as a teen... followed the scene/tourneys/mags for quite a few years... NO WAY could you get me in anything over 10-15'

Those guys are gods....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Are you still with us Rene? When I used to sail the islands I would stay leeward in winter and venture windward only in the summer months. You probably know all this already but just in case. The windward coast of Kauai was my favorite but only in the summer. Hanalei definitely is closed out this time of the year but it really is a beauty of a destination.
Fond memories of Hanalei....
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 06:43   #13
Registered User
 
northoceanbeach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Boat: Cape Dory 28
Posts: 445
Re: Oahu Ancorage

I surf the north shore. Wish I was there right now. Still not going back until I am good enough to sail myself back.

You can anchor in waimea bay. That's not far from haleiwa but I don't need to repeat the summer thing.
__________________
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 15:30   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I surf the north shore. Wish I was there right now. Still not going back until I am good enough to sail myself back.

You can anchor in waimea bay. That's not far from haleiwa but I don't need to repeat the summer thing.
I've talked with friends who have anchored in Waimea Bay in the summer. They enjoyed it but always had someone aboard and were very weather wise.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 15:57   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Summer versus winter on the North Shore.

Waimea Bay in the summer:


Waimea Bay in the winter:


As John says, there are no all-season safe anchorages between Haleiwa and Kaneohe Bay. My wife and I were picnicking on the beach at Kanaha Bay a few days ago, and watched a couple of dinghy-sized boats picking their way amongst the shoals. Nice little bay but shallow.

There were 40-50 foot swells on the North Shore last week. We tried to drive up there to see it, but the road on the windward side was jammed packed with cars doing 5-10 mph, so I turned around and drove back. The beaches up there were closed due to the terrible wind/wave conditions.
__________________

__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oahu

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.