Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 00:57   #31

Boat: Able 50
Re: Oahu Ancorage

Not if you're a surfer they won't. If the Hawaiians decide you are infringing on their surf they will belt the tripe out of you. Seen it a few times. There are also plenty of Hawaiians who won't speak to haoles at all. I've been on the receiving end of that.

I agree that things are tense.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:26   #32

Ah not good, maybe I have been lucky so far, I am not a surfer and have a azorian dark skin complexion and much prefer to be under the waves than on top.
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:41   #33

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I've only experienced the prejudice from elements I don't hang out with and young punks who don't know any better. Just like any major large urban area. I feel pretty safe among the locals in my neighborhood.

I think that a lot of it here is that there is an element of Hawaiian people who feel that haoles stole their land by overthrowing their kingdom. They are right of course but they can't get past the fact that it wasn't me or you but powerful capitalists in 1893 that were the cause of it.
Old 05-02-2014, 14:37   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Been living among the locals for more than 35 years. Never a problem except with Japanese merchants when we first got to Kona. Kona had been invaded by druggy haole hippies and some were ripping off anything they could to survive. Take that back, did disappoint neighbors in Makaha when I first got to Hawaii. Just couldn't party that hard and still fly an airplane for the Navy.

There are pockets where endemic poverty has led to a resentment of anybody they perceive as better off than them. Typical welfare state mentality found in many US cities with a high concentration of multi generational government dependency. There are also a small group of thieves who prey on tourist vehicles knowing it's unlikely anyone would come back to testify should they get caught.

For us, we've only locked our doors when we are going away for a week or more. Have never had an issue surfing possibly 'cause I don't. Surfers tend to get a bit territorial especially with someone who doesn't understand local etiquette and conditions and cuts off other surfers. Have heard some real horror stories of conflicts along the CA coast and almost anywhere the surfable waves are limited and the surfers aren't. Both our sons went to public school and had no issues. They are Hapa so don't physically stand out. Both my wife and I are from the mainland and don't ever speak pidgin nor do our kids Biggest racial issues are/were between newest wave of immigrants with local population.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oahu