Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 20:58   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Mooring Buoy Placement in Washington State

I have used the local knowledge a lot on this forum and I appreciate it. One more question (there always seems to be one more) : How difficult is it to place a buoy off of land that you own along the sounds in the Puget Sound area? I was thinking of picking up some property either around Ocean Shores (bayside) or Hood Canal (east of the hook) to moor my sailboat. That way I can buy something that will increase in value and my sailboat has a home. If fact, I might even place two buoys and have some neighbours. What do you guys think?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:08   #2

Boat: 47' Newport Trawler - Windjammer Spirit
It's a great idea and very simple.

Of course anchors are part of life, but if you're going to be onshore for extended periods of time, I sleep at night knowing I am on a ball that is attached to the seafloor.

Good luck!
Windjammr Spirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:52   #3

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
You will need to check with local authorities--most likely the Town or County off which you intend to place your mooring will have some kind of regulation. The land under the water (out to the 3 mile limit) belongs to the state, but most states delegate the regulation of moorings in immediate waters to the local governments. I am not familiar with the specifics of WA state law, but most states are similar. The local regulations vary, some will allow you to drop them with no notification, while others--especially where there is limited space--require the approval of a local harbor master. You do not "own" the land on which your mooring is placed, you are responsible for the equipement you deploy.

The Coast Guard requires that mooring buoys be white with a blue horizontal stripe to differentiate them from navigation buoys. There are some ABYC specifications for moorings relative to the size of the boat. I would recommend that you talk with some locals about the appropriate equipment. In my former life as a harbor master, we lost a number of boats each year to poorly constructed or maintained mooring equipment.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:14   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Every City/County has it's own regulations. You'll have to look up the area your in but here are some examples .................._/)

http://www.ci.bainbridge-isl.wa.us/d...quirements.pdf

Find It! Washington
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22   #5

Hood Canal...

You may have to skip Hood Canal though... its use by the Navy means there are rather a few more hoops to leap through.

You can build an anchor-based mooring fairly easily, especially if you can skin dive in cold water. Three inexpensive fluke-type anchors, each with about 8-16' of chain attached to a large and heavy ring. Attached to this is a length of very heavy chain several feet longer than the greatest tidal range, then some light chain to the mooring buoy. The anchors are hand-set as far away from each other as possible, at the points of an equilateral triangle.

The resulting mooring is safe and cheap, so long as the anchors are actually set. But most likely if the region has specific rules as to what may be put down you will need to use a professional service to set something. If you're thinking of buying land, some neighbourhoods include community docks, or a cheap float/temporary dock may be an option (remember a professional mooring needs to be removed and inspected annually - you get a property insurance break if you do.)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34   #6

Boat: Beneteau 305
Ten years back there was a fellow who would sink a mooring for $400. Now who knows what the price is now but the mooring itself was interesting, and he garanteed it not to fail or drag. Basically a concrete pyramid, 3 foot at the base, with a 3 inch PVC tube running from the point to the base of the pyramind. The idea is that the 3 inch pipe allowed the point of the pyramid to workitself into the sea bed. Not too sure how it would work on a rocky bed, but moorings placed on rocky bottoms in 1990 are still there.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Well, spent a few days looking around the sound- Any property along the coast is too expensive, except if it is "problem property" Looks like I will just anchor out and hope for the best...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:02   #8

Pyramid moorage anchor

Do you know how he placed it? It sounds like a good idea but how did he get it to stand up on the point so that it could work itself into the sea bed over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
Ten years back there was a fellow who would sink a mooring for $400. Now who knows what the price is now but the mooring itself was interesting, and he garanteed it not to fail or drag. Basically a concrete pyramid, 3 foot at the base, with a 3 inch PVC tube running from the point to the base of the pyramind. The idea is that the 3 inch pipe allowed the point of the pyramid to workitself into the sea bed. Not too sure how it would work on a rocky bed, but moorings placed on rocky bottoms in 1990 are still there.
kcamfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 13:49   #9

Boat: 2002 Hunter 356, 36'
Re: Mooring Buoy Placement in Washington State

Hi All, I know this forum is a bit old, but wondering if anyone has had recent experiences they can share? My situation is that I own waterfront land on Bainbridge Island in an area where the city doesn't allow new buoys. Some of my neighbors have them but don't use and I'm thinking about asking to buy the rights to one on county property near my house. Anyone ever bought/transferred buoy rights? Thanks!
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 21:47   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Mooring Buoy Placement in Washington State

I suggest you goto the Harbormaster that controls that area and ask him/her this question. The neighbor should be able to tell you who the authority is.

The bouy also has to be of a size/holding power to accommodate your vessel. That's the purpose of the permit, that should have been approved/inspected.

Tags
mooring, Washington