Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 15:09   #31

Re: Leaving Seattle Monday headed to Victoria!

I have entered Canada way over my alcohol limit....like 12 bottles wine, 10 of hard liquor that is in my bar and a couple dozen beer. I just honestly declared them...standard is to let you bring them in as they have records that it is not a common occurrence for you to do this.

I do the same entering the USA...never have had to pay duty on booze, but always honestly declared all I had.

So bring extra Scotch...its pricey up here.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 15:10   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You want to get to Sydney by 1700 or the gates are closed. Or call and arrange a berth with a security card left out. There is a dock to call customs from. In the off season I have just stayed on it after asking,
There are customs docks at Canoe Cove as well. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Roche Harbour then across is much more sheltered.

Canoe Cove is not easy to get into. Van Isle Marina right at the entrance of Tsehum Harbour is much easier to access. I agree, Roche to any of them is easier as long as it isn't blasting up Haro Strait.

All this is in Waggoners.

I do not know if the phone at the custom dock in Sidney still works, there was talk summer before last of it being removed. Van Isle's custom phone was actually removed but the marina put their own in, I used it last March. The phone issue was based around some stupidity about the customs not having to maintain the phones..,sheez. Bring your own phone that works and make sure to bring the phone #, it's on the customs website.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 15:25   #33

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Headed to Victoria Canada next week ....would love to hear of good places to go while we are there. Any and all comments welcome!
Thanks
I haven't been there in 15 years or so, but here is what I can dredge up from memory:

You must not miss Munro's Books, 1108 Government Street, Victoria, BC.
Right next door is Murchie's Tea & Coffee with teas from all over the world.
I also like the Royal BC Museum. (In the basement is a replica street of old Victoria that will transport you back in time, if it's still there).
Narrow "Fan Tan Alley" off of Pandora Ave leads you into their Chinatown.
If you are feeling "touristy" you can take the bus to Craigdarroch Castle for a tour.
The Maritime Museum of BC is worth a visit.
Capital Iron at the end of Chatham Street is an "everything but the kitchen sink" kind of store.
Have fun!
Ryan
Old 10-01-2019, 16:31   #34

Boat: 55' Romsdal

I'm sure you're aware of this, but note the traffic separation scheme entering the harbor. The point is to keep vessels out of the way of aircraft. The Robertson Point dock for clearing customs is easily missed.... Keep your eyes open and you will see it to starboard on the way in.
Old 10-01-2019, 16:57   #35

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

You can see for yourself boats in the harbour in front of the Empress - definitely the best place to stay in Vic - you can call on 66a.

Harbour cam:

https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/about/ex...hannel/web-cam
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 17:07   #36

Boat: Ericson 38

Where you go should be based on the type of experience you are looking for as I'm sure that you can handle the boat getting there and there as many calm days as there are stormy ones. This last year I went to Sidney once, Oak Bay once and Victoria twice coming over from Port Angeles. If you go to Victoria the check in is simple as you will be pulling in to the Customs Dock about a half mile before the Empress on the right.Notice that the incoming traffic is all kept to the far right of the inlet to allow for the float planes taking off regularly. Organize your slip several days ahead as they don't respond very quickly to the reservation line and the dock may not be manned.Our Favorite is the Canoe club for great music, food and entertainment. Oak Bay is another great marina which is well protected and has restaurants and shops on the dock.
kenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:23   #37

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I have entered Canada way over my alcohol limit....like 12 bottles wine, 10 of hard liquor that is in my bar and a couple dozen beer. I just honestly declared them...standard is to let you bring them in as they have records that it is not a common occurrence for you to do this.

I do the same entering the USA...never have had to pay duty on booze, but always honestly declared all I had.

So bring extra Scotch...its pricey up here.
We entered once with just a little over and declared it on the phone. They told us we were bad people and not to do it again. Thought all was good. Then the next 3 or 4 times we tried to clear in on the phone they asked us to wait till they sent an officer down. It made clearing in a slow process and a pain. We apparently got put on the evil list.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 17:31   #38

Thanks for all the good advice!

We’re in Port Townsend at Sea J’s Cafe eating diner. Headed to Victoria at 0700.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 19:03   #39

Boat: Cross 39

Looks like low winds for the first half of the sail and then decent winds to push you into Victoria. Currents seem alright for you also.

Treat yourself here: Patiesserie Daniel | Victoria BC

From Victoria Harbour cross the Johnson Street bridge and walk along the Galloping Goose trail and stop in at Fantastico on Harbour Road. Keep heading north after that and walk over the old trestle. If you require boat stuff you can get to Trotac Marine a short walk after the trestle.

Or, turn left after Johnston Street bridge and make your way to Spinnakers for a beer.

Lots of options, you'll find lots of good stuff. Welcome!
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 19:45   #40

Looks like it will be a nice day for it.
Have a good trip
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 02:10   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

You got lucky.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 19:09   #42

Just ate at Nautical Nellies Steak and Seafood House. The Steak Cali was incredible. Easy run over today. Wind picked up for the last few hours of the trip and we had a very nice sail to Victoria. Currently at The Causeway enjoying a scotch and wondering why the radar all of a sudden stopped working as well as the forward head. Ah. Shakedown cruises. Still an incredible day and evening!!
Old 14-01-2019, 19:17   #43

Are you on the Beneteau on "C" Dock?
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 19:22   #44

Boat: Cross 39

Glad it went smooth, welcome to Victoria. Lots of sunshine out there today, as long as you weren't too far north.
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 20:04   #45

We were on D dock. Sorry for the late response. Had a wonderful time in Victoria. The weather was great and the food was fantastic. We made it to Port Townsend Wednesday afternoon, Shilshole yesterday and today finally moored semi permanently in Bremerton.

Now we wait for a good weather window for our trip back to Oregon.

Tags
head, seattle