Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 06:47   #46

Re: Leaving Seattle Monday headed to Victoria!

You will need to contact the Federal Communication Commisdin to obtain a radio station livens since you are on international travel. You must have this before going into going into foreign waters or be subject to a large fine. Your MMSI that you have does not apply for foreign trips and you are not listed in the international database in the event of a distress. Customs will ask for your license.
Russ Levin
USCG HQ
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 08:42   #47

Boat: Sweet 16

Thank you for the intro to deepzoom.com
MoCan
MoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 08:55   #48

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCan View Post
Thank you for the intro to deepzoom.com
MoCan
Your welcome.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 09:25   #49

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Don’t forget that hand guns are illegal to possess in Canada! You can bring in 2 long guns (rifles or shotguns) but will have to surrender all hand guns on entry.
I was standing in line to enter one morning and the Customs and Immgration guy asked the guy in front of me if he had any hand guns aboard. He replied yes, and the custom and Imm guy suggested he return to Friday Harbor and mail it to himself in Alaska where he was ultimately headed. He told the sailor that the PO in Friday Harbor was very used to this requirement and had boxes that would accommodate a hand gun and to send the hand gun to himself c/o General Delivery, Haines AK, his first port of call up there. The PO in Haines were very used to the process as well.
Canadian Customs and Immigration seem to go out of their way to accommodate US sailors and cruisers.
I am an ex Canadian by the way having immigrated legally to the US in 1981. Also ran a delivery business for many years out of San Diego and delivered vessels from Alaska to Panama so have some entry/exit experience.
Another hint if you are going to see a C&I officer up close, do not dress like a bum, particularly in Mexico. Your cruising brethren may feel that it is cool to be unshaven and dressed like a homeless person but a C&I officer will treat you like one!
I recall meeting with a Port Captain in La Pas Mexico once. His office was filled with your typical cruising types but I was dressed in clean shorts a pressed shirt with Capt’s bars on the shoulders and a Capt’s cover (cap). I went the head of the line while the rest of the ne’rdewells sat waiting! Appearances do count, even in Canada.
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:30   #50

Boat: 1984 Jeanneau Attalia
Angry Re: Leaving Seattle Monday headed to Victoria!

If you have one of those stupid MAGA hats, leave it at home!
quiesence65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:25   #51

Can anyone help with a good cruising guide for this region? We are buying a boat out of Friday Harbor and want to do our first cruising BC.

Any thoughts on the trip back from PNW to SoCal also would be helpful. We have large ketch (80k displacement).
aussiesailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:40   #52

My info may be old but:
-They will take your potatoes and oranges. So forego them.
-I've never heard of a radio issue of any sort. I've checked in many times with Ham and VHF etc.
-I liked going to Port Townsend and then over, thus not dealing with no wind inside and Deception Pass current timing etc.
-No pets or firearms.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:52   #53

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesailorboy View Post
Can anyone help with a good cruising guide for this region? We are buying a boat out of Friday Harbor and want to do our first cruising BC.

Any thoughts on the trip back from PNW to SoCal also would be helpful. We have large ketch (80k displacement).
Quote:
Can anyone help with a good fruiting guide for this region?
ROTFL

Pick up a Waggoner's for sure. If you like anchoring then I recommend Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage. You can't go wrong with the Dreamspeaker Guides, especially if you are just in it for the hotspots. Less well known but more convenient if you are into electronic docs are the Salish Sea Pilot guides.

As for the trip South, check out the Coho ho ho site and Exploring the Pacific Coast by Douglass & Douglass.

That should get you started. And enjoy your "fruiting"

Enjoy your trip.

Tags
head, seattle