Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2017, 05:59   #1

Wow! Disappointed With CF

First of all, I'm new to CF, and sailing, but have been around boats my whole life and currenty own 4 ranging from a Hobie Cat learning to sail to a deep V we take 20+ miles offshore diving and fishing.

I just read the 31 page story this morning of the couple in Ft Lauderdale with boat trouble and it really bothered me with most of the responses in that thread.

The couple asked for HELP and mostly what they got were ADVICE and EXCUSES. Almost everone was giving excuses on why they could not or would not help vs what they could do to lend a helping hand.

As "experienced" and "knowledgeable" as everyone boasts around here, very few wanted to get off their ass, put that knowledge to work and do something, or at least make a call to someone in the area they know to check it out. Instead it was much easier to sit on their sailboat, or home, and play cynic. It sounded like a bunch of pompous, lazy jerks trying to prove they know more than the other lazy jerks because of their exceptional sailing experience.

Thank you for those that tried to do something and shame on those that didn't. Many of you showed your true colors. I hope you are proud of yourselves

And for those of you that are saying to yourselves who the hell do I think I am to question the expertise of the experts, I'm late 40's Florida native looking to retire and join the cruising life 5 years from now. Yes I am a newbie to cruising, but old enough to know humanity and young enough to lend a helping hand if needed and when I do get out there on the water full time, I hope im not in the same anchorage as most of you.

Just an outsider looking in and disappointed in what I saw... I'm out