Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 06:57   #16

Re: Wow! Disappointed With CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post

Just an outsider looking in and disappointed in what I saw... I'm out
Uhm, WADR, new or not, that is one of the most childish phrases used on internet forums.

It says: "I don't like it, and I'm going home and taking my marbles with me, na, na, na, nah, na...."

Look, Kenomac did that during the discussion and got called on it, right?

I know you're new here, so perhaps you can learn not to say that again.

It's like saying "Over and out" on your VHF.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 07-01-2017, 07:05   #17

Please link to the original thread the OP refers to. thanks!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wow! Disappointed With CF

The thing that puzzled me was the $2600 target.. cannot remember any specified amount in the past fund raisers.. just give what you want.. or not
Is goal something you have to state with these new venues.??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:12   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Byrd,

They initially asked for a tow from their slip to "open water". If you had promptly responded with your deep V and towed them out of Lauderdale and into open water they would be lucky to be in a CG helo now.

Goodbye and have a nice day.
They initially asked for a tow from their slip to "open water".

Which we all, me included, assumed meant what it is normally taken to mean by anyone familiar with the term, 'out to sea'.

However, as we were later to find out, the person who asked the question
had no experience sailing and very likely didn't know the correct terminology to state that what she actually wanted was a tow to a place open enough to test their boat after affecting repairs. Which was, however, later explained well enough for anyone who has at least some degree of reading comprehension skill to understand.

So Byrd has a point, the know-it-alls on this forum often seem to take the spotlight over the more thoughtful, retro/introspective members, which also might be expected...squeaky wheel and all that you know.

Take, for example, 'Calamity Ken's' own self proclaimed aptitude for getting into 'situations', as an example of the positive results derived from misguided assuming...
Old 07-01-2017, 07:13   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Please link to the original thread the OP refers to. thanks!
Agreed.. Close it.. the Byrd has flown after shitting in the nest..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:30   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Saw the Avatar after reading the post huh..!!!

Old 07-01-2017, 07:36   #22

Gee, Byrd, what an annoying post. I didn't even see the original post and you still managed to annoy me with your whining. Cuz I really really don't like whiners.

Did I understand your message....you're a great person who cares and are morally superior to the cretins on this forum? In fact, you're so morally superior you can't tolerate being around us? Got it. Thanks. Can I also assume the back of your car is covered with little stickers that tell us how much you care?

Oh, and here's something you're really not going to like: I voted for Trump

Jeeesh.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39   #23

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
Gee, Byrd, what an annoying post. I didn't even see the original post and you still managed to annoy me with your whining. Cuz I really really don't like whiners.

Did I understand your message....you're a great person who cares and are morally superior to the cretins on this forum? In fact, you're so morally superior you can't tolerate being around us? Got it. Thanks. Can I also assume the back of your car is covered with little stickers that tell us how much you care?

Oh, and here's something you're really not going to like: I voted for Trump

Jeeesh.
:bigg rin: Especially that last line!

Save
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39   #24

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Starting a "go-fund-me" and directing members to the site is clearly against the CF forum rules. So is starting a post to critisize members and moderators. Maybe the OP and some of the newbees should read the rules.

"NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest. Exception to this may be found in Signature Standards, Marine-Related Commercial Posting, Sponsoring Vendors and Marine Service Provider Sections (see below)."

The purpose of this forum is to offer helpful "ADVICE" (which we did).... not to FUND.
[QUOTE=Kenomac;2296992]Starting a "go-fund-me" and directing members to the site is clearly against the CF forum rules. So is starting a post to critisize members and moderators. Maybe the OP and some of the newbees should read the rules.

Carebear DID NOT start the gofundme. This argument is baseless.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:40   #25

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
They initially asked for a tow from their slip to "open water".

Which we all, me included, assumed meant what it is normally taken to mean by anyone familiar with the term, 'out to sea'.

However, as we were later to find out, the person who asked the question
had no experience sailing and very likely didn't know the correct terminology to state that what she actually wanted was a tow to a place open enough to test their boat after affecting repairs. Which was, however, later explained well enough for anyone who has at least some degree of reading comprehension skill to understand.

So Byrd has a point, the know-it-alls on this forum often seem to take the spotlight over the more thoughtful, retro/introspective members, which also might be expected...squeaky wheel and all that you know.

Take, for example, 'Calamity Ken's' own self proclaimed aptitude for getting into 'situations', as an example of the positive results derived from misguided assuming...
jinbunyard,

Here's the OP's first two posts:

Hi all my husband and I are in a slip in Ft. Lauderdale and are desperately needing someone to tow us to open water or close to open water. We are sailing up to Jacksonville but need to get towed through the bridges. If anyone has a suggestion or knows someone please reply. We dont have$ 200.00 an hour but can pay something. We need to get our boat home. Thanks all.

Thank you all for your responses. To update and clarify, we bought the 39 ft. Temple Marine from a private owner about a month ago in Ft. Lauderdale. We were supposed to be able to keep it at their private dock, however, the man took I'll family came down and we had to move it asap. This was after we bought her. We live in Jacksonville and we don't have the money to keep her in Ft. Lauderdale. But with the short time we had, we are running out of options to just get through the bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. To add.. We just got the insurance and tow package on her, but have to have it 30 days for them to cover the tow.

The OP obviously wants a tow out of Ft. Lauderdale and if you are familiar with Ft. Lauderdale you will know that once you go through the bridges and out to open water you are in the Atlantic ocean. I presume they felt that they could get the boat to Jacksonville after that.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:41   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

First of all, I'm new to CF, and sailing,............Just an outsider looking in and disappointed in what I saw... I'm out
Lol, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.[emoji39]

Stu Jackson.....thanks for the summation of what most experienced boat owners felt as this urgent plea for help turned out to be really nothing but an inconvenience.

Kenomac, your instincts are great, but the often abrasive nature of your replies dilutes its value to the conversations , which is a real shame.

The Rules promote a ' Be Nice' attitude which is great, but also realize that our communication skills are imperfect, so learn to keep your toes outside the door and just laugh instead of getting upset and replying with venom.

We have great members here on CF and I am proud to be one of you.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The thing that puzzled me was the $2600 target.. cannot remember any specified amount in the past fund raisers.. just give what you want.. or not
Is goal something you have to state with these new venues.??
Yes. With "Go Fund Me" and "Kick Starter" if the goal isn't reached, then no one is obligated to pay their pledge. If the goal is reached then everyone is obligated to pay their pledge. Much better suited for inventors and start up companies than charities.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:48   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Yes. With "Go Fund Me" and "Kick Starter" if the goal isn't reached, then no one is obligated to pay their pledge. If the goal is reached then everyone is obligated to pay their pledge. Much better suited for inventors and start up companies than charities.
Buga that..
I'd never have got any of the beers bought me..

Old 07-01-2017, 07:54   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Buga that..
I'd never have got any of the beers bought me..
Hey Boatie, I've got a whole drawer full of beer tokens from Vascos when you come visit us in Subic.

You will like the place.

http://www.vascosresort-museum.com/facilities.php
Old 07-01-2017, 07:58   #30

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
As "experienced" and "knowledgeable" as everyone boasts around here, very few wanted to get off their ass, put that knowledge to work and do something, or at least make a call to someone in the area they know to check it out.
And you are actually in Florida, and you are now doing what?

Here's my take. The couple bought a $12,000 boat that was listed as a "project boat", "instant liveaboard" (which in my circles, means the bottom looks like a reef, probably a blister nightmare, and incapable of maneuvering under its own power), and only reference to the engine was that it "started". And even the listing said have all details checked out and surveyed. The couple chose otherwise - no survey, no haulout, and apparently didn't even do a sea trial or remove it from dock until after purchased. And somehow managed to finance their purchase?

Yes, they made references to a broker being misleading, and the seller (who was ill and in need of an operation) making promises, wah, wah, wah. Of course none of this was in a contact, or in writing, ... And then ten pages of CF advice "you should sue." A waste of time, and money.

Which brings us to their call for help - wanting a tow of an engine-disabled boat out to sea. Through bridges. Which no one would rightly want to take on that responsibility. And their "need" for assistance was not so much because they didn't have the money, but instead because they hadn't budgeted for it. But in another post she was specific that they had budgeted for what was needed. And then near the end, a final post proclaiming the most important thing to them was to pay for college for second daughter. And in 30-something pages of pleas from members with mechanical know-how as to what engine model she had, she could never even come up with that.

Frankly, if she was my wife, instead of playing on the computer all day, she would be helping with boat projects. I'm sure there was plenty to do, on a boat that hasn't moved for years. OTOH, thanking her gofundme supporters and other "good people like us" for sending her money and best wishes was probably more fruitful.

So someone made a comment about not feeding the feral cats, or something. Although harsh, it is appropriate example. Here is a couple that apparently can't afford to get the financed boat home that they just purchased, so go to CF for financial help. (Or they can afford it, but would prefer that others pay for it instead. You tell me.) Yeah, before you explode, realize there were mechanics wanting to help and after 30 pages of pleas she still hasn't even provided an engine model. So you feed this stuff and the next post is going to be "OMG, look at these hull blisters, delam rudder, and we never budgeted for this. Can't afford it, can someone help us. Gofundme link attached."

The moderator shut that thread down appropriately. And now you want to reopen it. Hopefully they find this one and shut it down as well. But again, whether that happens or not, you are free to get off of your a** and go find the boat and help out. I have a marina in my backyard and have been there for a lot of boaters who seriously want a hand, and not a hand out.

As for CareBear, repair costs for a "project boat" that size could cost you so much more than the initial purchase to get it to seaworthy condition. You need to haul the boat, really understand the condition, and whether you have the financial ability, budget or desire to continue. Especially as you say your highest priority is your daughters college education. Florida is full of boats who owners resolute desire to "rescue" a boat, return to its former glory, and pursue the cruising lifestyle", have ended in financial disaster and broken dreams. Sometimes its better just to cut your losses. I sincerely wish you and your family the best in whatever the choice.
Closed Thread