Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2006, 00:25   #1

Boat: East Orient 32
Winter in Italy ?

I'm just wondering where to spend the next winter. I am cruising in southern France and am heading towards Corsica and Italy. I'd like it to be warm and sunny if possible. Perhaps Sicily? Has anyone been on a boat in Sicily in winter? Mistrals? Sirroccos? It's a bit far to go to Greece and Turkey because I'd like to spend a lot more time this summer sightseeing and cruising. Would it be feasible to sail to Greece or Turkey and then come back to Italy next spring for more leisurely cruising? Any ideas? Thanks.
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 06:23   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
??? How can there be any question, of course Italy and of course Sardinia. The Costa Smeralda. Where else is there?

Enjoy, looks like you are loving life.

Best

John
s/v Invictus
presently lying Stuart FL, heading to the Keys
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 15:46   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
It seems like a lifetime ago now, but in the late 80's and early 90's I made several visits to Corsica (arriving by air, not water), and was absolutely captivated by the place.

The interior of the Island was so untouched by the hand of tourism & progress. The mountains were beautiful (if you like mountain walking, the GR20 is staggeringly beautiful), the food was good and cheap, as was the local wine. There was history aplenty, particularly around Calvi and Ajaccio, and numerous marinas.

Of course, that was 15 - 20 years ago, and Corsica may well, for all I know, gone the way of Majorca, Minorca, and the like...but it will always hold a fondness for me.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 08:12   #4

If winter air connections are not a concern, Trapani in NW Sicily has been recommended on threads in ybw.com. Siracuse in SE area of Sicily is really charming and there is a huge bay to anchor in whilst you find your feet. I understand that the Town Quay is free, but some charge is made for the nearby pontoons. In contrast we used the north harbour to visit and found the small clubs on the Stb side to be friendly and obliging, even organising the supermarket owner to collect us for our shopping and dropping us back to our boat! Very friendly and nothing too much trouble. Did not consider overwintering there as we had arranged Malta, due to its good air connection direct to Dublin. We are presently in a small marina near the Hilton hotel, Portomaso, which is run like a watch by an able team. NE winds bring a scend which neccessitates strong shock absorbers (Douglas Marine springs) to avoid snapped mooring ropes.Very hard to beat the mouth of the Rhone area if your are leaving your vessel unattended. Here are Port Napoleon, Navy Services and Port Maretima near Golf du Fos all with acres and acres of dry stored boats. Mosquitos abound in season.Otherwise all is good value if not exactly cheap. Marseilles Airport is nearest.
The Fiumicino in Rome is probably covered in another thread, or if need of this very convenient location info , post a query. good sailing from Ireland!
paulclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 12:20   #5

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Hi Seagypsywoman!

Have a look under "Destinations, Europe and Med" on this Forum, there was some good advice there concerning Italy.

I have just recently become interested in the most southerly located Italian island of Lampedusa off the Tunisean coast, hoping for warmer weather in winter but my research on maritime matters and overwintering possibilities there hasn't come very far yet. Looking for good advice!

Roger
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 13:17   #6

Lampedusa

Frontex is an organisation somewhat underfunded to date to prevent loss of life involved in persons setting out to sea in unsuitable boats from the North African coast, possibly Libya. A small percentage of the human cargo is Libyan, but mostly these needy persons come from perhaps the sub-sahara, or Eritrea.and other places. Obviously the more the weather settles, the more attempt the perilous voyage in small boats. Lampedusa is an ideal landing point as the Italians govern this isle and have resources to process the refugees. Malta is really small and a new entrant to the EU.
They also struggle to come to terms with the small inward investment by Europe in North african nations.No work and starvation makes persons want to attempt to enter Europe.Many making this awful voyage have previously worked in London and elsewhere in Europe's cities and have been deported.They have such a sense of loss that they feel any risk is worth the chance of regaining Europe.The boat operators can leave their passengers on the tuna cages which are towed about slowly around these areas.I have heard a figure of 15,000 expected influx this season.

Most leisure sailors in small yachts would be faced with an extreme dilemma coming upon such stranded souls.I sincerely hope that Frontex is sufficiently funded this season to be able to rescue and help those who find themselves clinging to fish cages in the dark.

Thus strategically placed in the Mediterranean, as always, lie, Lampudusa and Malta, on which more bombs were dropped than were dropped on London in WW11.A wonderful people industrious and cheerful, the burden of Europe's non-intervention by way of inward investment in North Africa is borne completely unfairly by a small Republic, which size wise would probably fit into an Irish lough Derg.Other small islands exist, such a Pantellaria.No harbour that I know of, there are air connection to this idyllic Italian isle, off the track of this form of trade.

It is not to be supposed that leisure sailing in the area is discouraged, quite the opposite, the Rolex middle sea race is a major event in the area, and what a tough race was the last one.

Hopefully you will cruise uneventfully and enjoyably and enjoy Malta and all its history, the cuisine, and great personality. Perhaps then onwards to Tunisia, and the hospitality of Monastir and Port El Kantaoui marinas and their excellently organised hinterlands.
paulclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 13:50   #7

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclan View Post
Hopefully you will cruise uneventfully and enjoyably and enjoy Malta and all its history, the cuisine, and great personality. Perhaps then onwards to Tunisia, and the hospitality of Monastir and Port El Kantaoui marinas and their excellently organised hinterlands.
Hello paulclan!
I appreciate your long reply on the area's situation. Have you any thoughts though on overwintering on Lampedusa, is it feasible?
Thanks
Roger
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 01:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
I strongly suggest south of Turkey; Marmaris, Göçek or Fethiye. Much lower marina costs, friendly people, good repair facilities at a reasonable cost, pretty well connected to most destination either directly or via Istanbul.
It should be warmer than Sicilly and the winds are favorable even in winter with the exception of strong southerlies, once in a while. Much to see and even greek islands are just within the range of daily sailing.

Cheers

yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Italy