Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Delivery

I am considering purchasing a boat in the 30 foot range which would need to be delivered.

Is there a rate per km or is it just too complex to get a good idea.

Example: Savannah Ga to Apollo Beach Fl
Ft. Meyers Fl to Apollo Beach Fl

While it would all be coastal I don't feel that my skills are at that level yet.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:10   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Most delivery captains charge by the day plus expenses. Rates may vary by their experience, the type of boat to be delivered and/or location of the trip.

I am about to get a knee replacement or I would make an offer. There are several good captains on this forum that can probably help.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:47   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 33 Sloop
Short deliveries are more expensive per day - maybe $250 - 500/day for the skipper and 150 for crew. Caviat: I did a lot of deliveries but that was years ago.

You should expect to pay travel expenses including food to and from. It is normal for a delivery skipper to ask for travel expenses up front. If the boat is not sea worthy, and the owner chooses not to invest in making it so, at least the skipper can return home without losing money. Try to avoid demanding delivery by a specific date. This is not such a problem on a short trip, but can cause a skipper to take unnecessary risks with your boat. Be sure that your boat is insured and that the insurer knows it will be delivered. They may require that the delivery captain be licensed. A good delivery captain will not move the boat without ensuring that the safety systems are functional. He/she may require rental of a life raft if there is not one aboard. Good luck. A new boat is an excellent way to prevent the accumulation of dangerous amounts of excess cash.

Jeff

www.medofficer.net
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56   #4

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Thanks for the info. Might be better going by land. Have a quote of 4.00 per mile. Say 150 for decommissioning and 150 for commissioning.

How about if the owner is crew? Does that ever work?
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How about if the owner is crew? Does that ever work?
Some might charge extra. It's not that it can't work but crew do not cost very much. Since you feel you don't have the skills to do it yourself then I'm not clear how you could save money for the skipper bringing it down. Crew would be expected to pilot the boat. Most skippers would sail outside to get the job done quickly. You basically take the spot of a crew member yet don't have the skill to fill the role. using the trip to learn still might be worth the effort but that is something the skipper needs to know. Motoring down the ICW would be easy enough but the number of days is a whole lot more.

Trucking it might still be a good option too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:58   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I have done deliveries with owner aboard. Some are assets, some are liabilities you said "I don't feel that my skills are at that level yet" which I took to mean that you have skills, but they need further development prior to taking off down the coast in open water. I assume you could stand watches and learn from the delivery skipper.

If you want to save $$ by serving as crew, you should be sure the captain knows what to expect from you.

When I deliver with the owner aboard, my agreement, signed by both parties, states that as skipper I have final word on all matters related to boat operation and safety.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
Thanks for the info. Might be better going by land. Have a quote of 4.00 per mile. Say 150 for decommissioning and 150 for commissioning.
I would say that's an awful low quote for decommissioning and commissioning. Might cost you $300 just to haul the boat out of the water.
Old 17-06-2008, 02:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
I had recently my boat (Orana 44 cat) delivered from La Rochelle to Marmaris, Turkey. My deal was 10.000 € flat, everything included. I joined the the team mid way in Palermo and made the rest of the trip. I had no offshore experience and just limited costal sailing experience. The team consisted of two french guys, one skipper with a lot of experience, the other one just OK to keep the boat going. My experience was somewhat different than what I have read here and elsewhere;

-they were both excellent cooker and they cooked all the way down.. (I thought all skippers were just eating bean cans and boiled patatoes..)
-they offered to me to take the shifts which I did. Great learning. I was on my own most of the time and couldn't tell them that I hadn't enough experinece and took it over.. I was surprised though how they let me do it on a 5 hours night shift without questioning my ability..
-to my surprise, all shifts were one gay on the wheel. If someone is gone MOB, we could not realise it before next morning..
-no parachute or serie drog ,etc.. I personally wouldn't do the Biscayne without them..

All in all, by paying extra or not, I would strongly suggest that you join the delivery; it is a unique experience and opportunity for developing yr sailing skills. Mine didn't go bad (well with a few exceptions..) but I am hearing that sometimes it is difficult to get alone with the skipper. You have to admit upforont that he is the commander and on the boat there is only ONE captain.

Good luck Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 12:41   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

K-
It is not unusual for a newly purchased used boat to need some work, and even if you have taken it out for sea trials, you (and the delivery skipper) might prefer that the boat had been out for a 24-48 hour shakedown cruise before the delivery. (i.e. sea trial is great, but 24 hours in rough water detaches & churns up dirt from the fuel tank and the need to clean and purge the entire system.)

Without that shakedown cruise, you can reasonably expect to need to put in someplace for repairs of some type, which would add expenses in the delivery as well as the repairs. If you need to wait for parts, it can add another week in a transient berth, or an extra haul and launch.

So...consider that against your plans, if you can't take a week or two off to go shake down the boat before the delivery, I'd think more towards trucking it. Trucking companies can often give you a substantial break if you tell them "anytime between..." and give them a wide window, so they can use your boat to fill a deadhead run, especially when it is not prime season and business is down. Of course with fuel costs being so unstable--quotes may not hold unless they are guaranteed.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote