Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 12:47   #1

Windsurfer

Hello, I am looking at buying a windsurfer and I don't know much about sailing or surfing, my question is the board I was looking at has 3 side fins but one is broken off would this affect the performance.
hankiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 14:26   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankiii View Post
Hello, I am looking at buying a windsurfer and I don't know much about sailing or surfing, my question is the board I was looking at has 3 side fins but one is broken off would this affect the performance.
What kind of windsurfing were you thinking of? There are almost two completely different sports, longboarding and shortboarding. Shortboarding has a steeper learning curve and quite often requires enough wind to plane. Boards with multiple fins are usually in this category. One big fin in the middle is adequate for most users, the outboard fins are useful for control in hi speed turns.

If it is a newer wide board, it will be easier to learn on, can be used in light air, and will be fun in a little more wind that it can plane in.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 15:50   #3

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Hey. Theres a lot more to buying a windsurfer than if the fins are broken off.......if you have no windsurfed before you probably need a more beginner board. Also a little point but virtually every single windsurf board produced in the last ten years have a fin box system that does not have fixed fins...its a slot the fin slides into so if you break a fin you undo the screw pull out whats left and stick a new one in there....broken fins for sure affect performance. Research more and go get some lessons before you buy a board ... in the long run you will be happier.....and after a few lessons you can look for a more advanced board. If you want more of a reasoning or details or if you have pictures of the board that you are looking at I will be happy to let you know my opinion....I have windsurfed for twenty five years ........ and am happy to pass on some of the knowledge!

PS it almost sounds like a surfboard that you are looking at not a windsurfer....virtualy no windsurfers have 3 fixed fins...don't think I have seen that in twenty years.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 07:55   #4

Hey, thanks for the response, this is the ad I was looking at Windsurfer board & equipment - Halifax Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Halifax.
Windsurfer Duralite "Rocket 99"
hankiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 16:48   #5

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Ok mate...thats a really old board. It big and really heavy, but probably really cheap too..... I couldn't actually see the add anymore...but I looked up the board. For sure it would be fun...but there are a lot of more advanced easier to use gear out there.....I think that thing is probably about 12 or 13 feet long with a pretty old rig....there are newish gear floating around most islands for between 500 and 800 bucks...usd . Probably a lot more than that one but probably better suited to windsurfing off a boat. Still you'll have fun on that one ...but it is not state of the art and you will outgrow it fairly quickly.......
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 17:37   #6

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Cannot follow the link to your board but ... sounds like you may be looking at an older board designed for wave riding. Worst case is that if it is a 'sinker', it requires quite a lot of skill to ride.

Learn on a board with good floatation (relative to your weight). Could be an older centreboard type, or a newer, shorter wide tailed board with a large, single fin.

Main deal is unless you have a substantial fin or plate you will loose lots of ground downwind as you learn. The fin / plate lets you claw back lost ground. But always learn on a lee shore!

A modern wide-tailed board will probably last you longer, plane in less wind, be faster / more fun once you have the basics, and let you learn how to gybe on the plane. People seem to learn pretty quickly on them.

A sinker with inefficient fins would not be a good choice.

Roger, AKA "NZL 83"
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 17:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I learned ages ago. Buy or rent a cheap beginners board (long and wide and easily floats you with a smaller sail). When you get good then sell it and buy a more advanced board. Don't frustrate the heck out of yourself by trying to learn on an intermediate or advanced board. You will learn quicker by starting out on a beginners board because your mind wont have to focus on three different things at the same time...balance, sail trim and steering.

Its called wind swimming the first couple days because you spend more time in the water than standing on the board. As you get the hang of it you will learn that you don't really let the board balance you, you let the sail and how you trim it balance you. You can't really go through that transition very well with an advanced board.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 02:52   #8
Marine Service Provider

Re: Windsurfer

Look for beginner kits. Used ones are good too if they are in good conditions. And also look for some gear reviews before you buy. Here you can find some windsurfing articles, gear reviews, windsurfing news and destinations. Cheers!
wavetrust25 is offline   Reply With Quote