Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 15:41   #436

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Twenty Knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
This is such a lead, almost embarrassing. Still, race isn't over yet, so anything can happen.
No, I think you are wrong there mate. It is pretty much over unless Spithill can cause ETNZ to break their boat. He was definitely up to something on that last prestart letting them have the lead like that.

Oracle cannot tack with ETNZ and their speeds are similar. Like I said, I didn't watch the LV Cup and had no idea that they had a reaching start. I've never seen that before in buoy racing.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:29   #437

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
This is such a lead, almost embarrassing. Still, race isn't over yet, so anything can happen.
It is embarrassing. Good thing there aren't any Americans (ok only 1 1/2 Americans) on the boat.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:38   #438

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
It is embarrassing. Good thing there aren't any Americans (ok only 1 1/2 Americans) on the boat.
Well that's probably the same proportion as in the whole US nation ... ;-)))))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:39   #439

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't think "embarrassing" is the correct term - the fastest, best sailed boat is winning the races. That seems natural.

BTW, you can't have it both ways - wanting the US to win while hating the whole thing the US brought about...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 17:14   #440

Boat: 45ft Ketch

My take: Oracle is a very good boat, exceptional skipper and would have beaten the other challengers. TNZ designers and teamwork a step ahead.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 17:30   #441

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill cartwright View Post
I think the America Cup has turned in to a joke. The people and money spent for this show is unreal. It is like going drag racing and watching the funny cars only and not the little people who spend their hard earned moery to race and place. I will stick with the little guy hands down. As far as these oversized Hobie Cats on steriods, well that is another story. I have sailed the bay and love to play in the Gap with my Ranger 22 a while back and now I sail the Gulf with 20+ winds daily. I have sailed for years around the Santa Cruze Island off Ventura with 60 knot winds and 30 foot seas and all was done by myself with no fear or worries. 20 knots is nothing and if these boats can not perform in all winds then they need to go back to real racing as it has been done for over a hundred years. If they want to make sailing competative then they have to open the classes and assign handicaps so more people can get involved. Limiting it to 2 or 3 boats is sad and takes away from the rest of the world. It should not be "How Much Money You Got" but rather Just How skilled you are with your boat so you and the boat are as one. Monohulls only should sail this course and hydrofoils and the other types should have their own class. I think with the proper handicap, a good windsurfer could win the thing over and he would have done so for less than 5K in equipment! Again it should be the sailor and not some billion dollar boat in these events. Lets make it a Iron Man Race with one sailor from each country racing! YEA!!!!
This is just my opinion, I am sure you have your own, so spill your guts.
Bill Cartwright
S/Y Enterprise
Galveston,Texas
60 knot winds and 30 foot seas in a Ranger 22 with no worries? Uh huh. Yeah, that sounds plausible.
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 17:49   #442
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Twenty Knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
60 knot winds and 30 foot seas in a Ranger 22 with no worries? Uh huh. Yeah, that sounds plausible.
No sweat in a Hurley 22....
Try it be4 ya knock it bud...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:06   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I always enjoy a good touch in cheek! That was very funny..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:13   #444
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I always enjoy a good touch in cheek! That was very funny..
Glad some one appreciated it... started to think CF had suddenly developed a 'Mast up de ass...'

While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-09-2013, 18:19   #445
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
No, I think you are wrong there mate. It is pretty much over unless Spithill can cause ETNZ to break their boat.
That's why I ain't celebratin' yet. The 20 of the 80/20 rule isn't in the bag.

Oh the places we will go!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 19:56   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
GO KIWIS.........

Oracle has received significantly more attention, applause and praise (collective sizzle) than ENZ including online sailing forums
Yet look at the bottom line results - only 1 race won & 1 postponement For OUSA
skipper Jimmy Spithill explained: “We're going back to regroup,” - HUH?????

ENZ - they know how to sail too.

GO KIWIS
GO GO GO KIWIS
Nice start move on #7, do that more
Keep it simple, keep doing what 'cha doing.
GOOOOOOOOOOO KIWIS
P.S. Agree Salty, ain't over till it's over
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 20:52   #447

I agree that participating is usually more fun than watching. However, I was out there on Tuesday on the way to one of our favorite anchorages. (You can see me on the video !!!! east of Mark 2 between the large white Hornblower party ship and a large white trawler and a BIG blue hulled sailboat , no sails up, white hull, blue mainsail cover and blue furling jib trim. I was there pretty much by accident, hadn't planned it, but figure, what the heck, if I'm near Mark 2 I'll go take a look! ). Locals also know that they do the commentary on the races on VHF CH20, so I was aware of what was happening.

I've raced on The Bay for many years, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you "do The Cityfront" (hug the shore) when there's a building flood. And also, when there is a lot of south in the wind, as there was on Tuesday, your best bet is "to do the long boards" first when going upwind. The Kiwis went onto starboard tack, the "short board" to get relief from the current, while the Americans really blew it by BOTH doing a horrible maneuver AND going out into the flood, although on the port tack long board.

Them's the choices you have to make when sailing here.

In this regard, then, the Americans had a 105 m lead and blew it. Completely.

So at least there WAS a lead change.

And it was pretty exciting to watch in person, although having been on a friend's stake boat for the AC45 races and seeing this one, it is more exciting to watch on TV. They're big and they're fast, and Mark 2 has had some great moments. It was pretty thrilling to see them both rounding Mark 2, although I've had them come and buzz me while they were practicing during the earlier parts of the summer, and they were a LOT closer than I was able to get on Tuesday.

It's really too bad the commentators, except for Gary Jobson, seem to have no clue. I've already noted that their continued use of phrase "The Cone of Alcatraz" is simply wrong, 'cuz the Cone is east of the island, not south of it - yeah, there's a little current nudge from the flood bouncing off the southwest corner, but that's it. The Cone is actually the dead air area east of the Island, where one can get some current relief BEHIND the island (during a normal west wind summer race, the general wind direction is 242 magnetic), not south of it. On a flood, going anywhere near the southwest corner of the island is just plain wrong for sailing upwind.

I'm just waiting for NBC to do their commercial breaks at the start AND at each of the marks! That'd make it REALLY exciting to watch. Hmmm...

I think the commentators miss the mark (pun intended ) when they don't talk strategy, AND miss explaning (at all!) what to many of us who race here are plainly obvious issues. Trying to make a sailboat race start like an automobile race is not something I think has any bearing on the races. At least they stopped saying, "He's motoring along at high speed!" Geez...

My wife says I should watch but turn the sound off! She is, of course, right yet again!

MOST folks don't know the REAL score is + whatever it is to MINUS 1.

Even the bloody "commentators."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 00:17   #448
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Glad some one appreciated it... started to think CF had suddenly developed a 'Mast up de ass...'
You can stick whatever you want up there today good sir. Because it's your birthday. have a bloody good one ya old bugger.

Coops.
Old 13-09-2013, 03:31   #449
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheers Mate......
Chicken Piri Piri, Greek Salad, a very nice 'Dao' red wine.... Birthday cake and Champagne... it was a tight fit but....

Actually it was a good Cava... but Champers sounded better...

Old 13-09-2013, 03:47   #450

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Cheers Mate......
Chicken Piri Piri, Greek Salad, a very nice 'Dao' red wine.... Birthday cake and Champagne... it was a tight fit but....

Actually it was a good Cava... but Champers sounded better...

Happy birthday Boatie!
We will have a toast to you tonight xxx

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot, paracelle