Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 05:39   #1

Tips and Tricks

I have found this web sight a great wealth of knowledge and experience but any good tips are soon buried so deep it can be difficult to find even if you know the thread there is too many comments to weed through to find the information
A Tips and tricks sticky for each section would be a nice feature
Those of use that have been around know to see what Minaret ,Main Sail, Stu Jackson and MANY others have to say
Or I guess those interested in doing so could start the title of the thread with TIP ------ a sticky reminding them to do so would be easy
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 05:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Tips and Tricks

I theory it sounds like a wonderful idea...

In practice it probably will turn into a "sticky" situation!

I'm not sure how well it would work with all of the categories front loaded with sticky threads... It sounds to me like these threads would take up the first 5 pages of each category and be multiple hundreds of posts long each... making it nearly as impossible to find answers???

Just tossing the ball around...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 06:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tips and Tricks

So... you basically want a Reference Library..
Nil contribution.. just pop in.. take.. and leave nothing..??
Okay with me..
Welcome to CF..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 06:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Okay with me..
Welcome to CF..
Love it !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 08:28   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boatman, this place is for everyone. As a matter of fact, when new (and not so new) people start a conversation asking for information they usually catch a lot of grief and receive a lecture on using the search function. This "reference section" isn't a bad idea, but it sounds like a lot of work for someone.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 08:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tips and Tricks

Senor Elliot... you don't think I know this.. did I say it was restricted.. ??
I think Not.. you are free to make your assumptions as you wish.. as am I.. and... should someone who has been a member here since 2012 post a question like this after 3 years and not be aware he'd get ribbed he's been very selective in his visits..
There's folks here who regularly chuck in tips and tricks.. but you have to admit after the 25th time about the same thing it gets old hat and you pass the buck to someone else and just sit and watch the show..
Can you imagine what it would be like on a tips and tricks forum..??
Sub- forums...
Anchoring
Sails
engine's

Oh Bugga..!! looks just like the main forum.. except Tips and Tricks is not listed.
Colonial English Humour... Like it or Lump it.. Exclusive I am not..
I'm still just an ordinary member..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 09:42   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Could there be posted a treatise
about how to search? It seems to
be a bit arcane, with results either
being too meager or overwhelming.

I occasionally do a search, get
nothing, give up and then post the
question, only to have someone say,
"You could find that by searching."
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 11:15   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Could there be posted a treatise
about how to search? It seems to
be a bit arcane, with results either
being too meager or overwhelming.

I occasionally do a search, get
nothing, give up and then post the
question, only to have someone say,
"You could find that by searching."
Don't use "Search Forums" on the Search menu. Use "Google Custom Search" just below it instead.

Here's your treatise:
The 35 Best Google Search Tips and Tricks | Digital Trends
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 11:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
....................... This "reference section" isn't a bad idea, but it sounds like a lot of work for someone.
This topic should be read right after reading this one: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way - Page 6 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Yes, Paul, it was/is a lot of work. Here's an example:

Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

The opening paragraph reads: ''Over the past decade or more, "regular" electrical topics come up repeatedly. In developing responses to questions, many of us use the handy links to earlier discussions. I've developed this "Electrical 101" topic, which is a group of links to popular subjects and those discussions. Many of them include links to other websites and message boards, since boat electrical systems are not boat-specific. Many thanks to Maine Sail, not only for his contributions to this message board, but for his "Musings with Maine Sail"...

I can't recall the number of times I've posted this link in response to basic electrical questions, which are, uhm, recurring.

And then the response sometimes is: There's TOO MUCH information!

I've also just, most times, pasted a few excerpt links from that big resource.

I, too, used to do the "why don't you search?" and realized not too many people knew how to do that. The post here in how to do it made me giggle a bit, 'cuz if folks can run a sailboat and get as far as this forum, shouldn't they be able to figure out how to do a search? How did they find this place to begin with? And now, unlike the old days, most sites have Google forum searches. So except for egregious posts, I just provide links. Retyping gets real old for me, but I applaud many who seem to like doing it. John's got a great Tips & Tricks about electronics. Seems like no new posters ever read it.

On another boating forum I got castigated for suggesting Google. Another skipper replied that he'd answered the guy's question with a (gasp!) Google search. Finding low prices is a good example. You actually want someone else to do it for you?

But it's like homework and research, another recurring topic. However, where the fur starts flying is when a post starts off with this mind-bender: "I know this has been discussed a lot before, but I can't find it..." and then asks a question about which anchor (choose your poison here!) is best! Or if there has just been a discussion about it.

Interesting and Recurring Topics These started out as a Top Ten, but...

1. Electrical systems and issues – usually start out with something like: “electrical issues are a mystery to me…my electrical knowledge is not very extensive…” Buy Boatowners Illustrated Electrical Handbook by Charlie WING, and, with a little sleuthing, you can even find that the complete text is available online

2. Stuffing Box – What size is my flax? Can I do it in the water?

3. Freshwater pumps – For your faucets, not your engines. All freshwater pump vendors manuals have troubleshooting guides, and those manuals are available online.

4. ST4000 autopilot failures, most times it’s the belt, or someone’s put a BIG piece of metal near the fluxgate compass.

5. Varnish or cetol – what individual skippers like varies, with the skipper

6. Anchors – which one is “Best?”

7. LEDs – “I would like to replace the lights with LED bulbs…Has any one done this and, if so, where did you source your bulbs?” Go to www.marinebeam.com

8. What should I look for when I’m looking at a new-to-me boat? (budget, size, going where?)

9. 3M 5200 – Where do I use it?

10. How long it would take to motor, how far that is, and what could be the fuel cost from Maine to Key West? If you have to ask…

11. What position should I leave the transmission in when sailing?

12. Interfacing electronics Best Wheel Autopilot for C30 ?? | SailboatOwners.com Forums

I want a new emoticon:

:PLEASE read the blinkin' links:

Please, please, please.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 18:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Don't use "Search Forums" on the Search menu. Use "Google Custom Search" just below it instead.

Here's your treatise:

The only trouble with that is, I find whenever I use Google for something, I then get huge amounts of adverts on every page, for all the stuff I have bought in the last 6 months (it's total fail as an advertising tool really, I mean they can't get it together to start advertising when the warranty has run out, and within a few days the previously bought item will no longer be working . . . ).

Could you put Duckduckgo search engine instead?

{nah don't worry}
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 02:41   #11

Quote:
Okay with me..
Welcome to CF..
No actually I would like to contribute but don't want to deal with any comments or debates or have the spell police or some one telling we how incorrect it is or someone who thinks there is some deeper motivation NO DRAMA SHEEEZ Then again maybe not
Old 14-02-2016, 02:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Love it !

Is this a contribution? This is what I expected and debated whether to post or not?
Old 14-02-2016, 02:49   #13

Quote:
Senor Elliot... you don't think I know this.. did I say it was restricted.. ??
I think Not.. you are free to make your assumptions as you wish.. as am I.. and... should someone who has been a member here since 2012 post a question like this after 3 years and not be aware he'd get ribbed he's been very selective in his visits..
There's folks here who regularly chuck in tips and tricks.. but you have to admit after the 25th time about the same thing it gets old hat and you pass the buck to someone else and just sit and watch the show..
Can you imagine what it would be like on a tips and tricks forum..??
Sub- forums...
Anchoring
Sails
engine's

Oh Bugga..!! looks just like the main forum.. except Tips and Tricks is not listed.
Colonial English Humour... Like it or Lump it.. Exclusive I am not..
I'm still just an ordinary member..

SELECTIVE ? Where do you get your info ? OR tying to stay out of the BS
Old 14-02-2016, 02:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
This topic should be read right after reading this one: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way - Page 6 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Yes, Paul, it was/is a lot of work. Here's an example:

Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

The opening paragraph reads: ''Over the past decade or more, "regular" electrical topics come up repeatedly. In developing responses to questions, many of us use the handy links to earlier discussions. I've developed this "Electrical 101" topic, which is a group of links to popular subjects and those discussions. Many of them include links to other websites and message boards, since boat electrical systems are not boat-specific. Many thanks to Maine Sail, not only for his contributions to this message board, but for his "Musings with Maine Sail"...

I can't recall the number of times I've posted this link in response to basic electrical questions, which are, uhm, recurring.

And then the response sometimes is: There's TOO MUCH information!

I've also just, most times, pasted a few excerpt links from that big resource.

I, too, used to do the "why don't you search?" and realized not too many people knew how to do that. The post here in how to do it made me giggle a bit, 'cuz if folks can run a sailboat and get as far as this forum, shouldn't they be able to figure out how to do a search? How did they find this place to begin with? And now, unlike the old days, most sites have Google forum searches. So except for egregious posts, I just provide links. Retyping gets real old for me, but I applaud many who seem to like doing it. John's got a great Tips & Tricks about electronics. Seems like no new posters ever read it.

On another boating forum I got castigated for suggesting Google. Another skipper replied that he'd answered the guy's question with a (gasp!) Google search. Finding low prices is a good example. You actually want someone else to do it for you?

But it's like homework and research, another recurring topic. However, where the fur starts flying is when a post starts off with this mind-bender: "I know this has been discussed a lot before, but I can't find it..." and then asks a question about which anchor (choose your poison here!) is best! Or if there has just been a discussion about it.

Interesting and Recurring Topics These started out as a Top Ten, but...

1. Electrical systems and issues – usually start out with something like: “electrical issues are a mystery to me…my electrical knowledge is not very extensive…” Buy Boatowners Illustrated Electrical Handbook by Charlie WING, and, with a little sleuthing, you can even find that the complete text is available online

2. Stuffing Box – What size is my flax? Can I do it in the water?

3. Freshwater pumps – For your faucets, not your engines. All freshwater pump vendors manuals have troubleshooting guides, and those manuals are available online.

4. ST4000 autopilot failures, most times it’s the belt, or someone’s put a BIG piece of metal near the fluxgate compass.

5. Varnish or cetol – what individual skippers like varies, with the skipper

6. Anchors – which one is “Best?”

7. LEDs – “I would like to replace the lights with LED bulbs…Has any one done this and, if so, where did you source your bulbs?” Go to www.marinebeam.com

8. What should I look for when I’m looking at a new-to-me boat? (budget, size, going where?)

9. 3M 5200 – Where do I use it?

10. How long it would take to motor, how far that is, and what could be the fuel cost from Maine to Key West? If you have to ask…

11. What position should I leave the transmission in when sailing?

12. Interfacing electronics Best Wheel Autopilot for C30 ?? | SailboatOwners.com Forums

I want a new emoticon:

:PLEASE read the blinkin' links:

Please, please, please.
THANK YOU That's what I'am talking about
Old 14-02-2016, 03:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Here's your treatise:
Admittedly I have not used the best search technique