Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2018, 09:35   #1

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons
Theft Of Outboard Motors.

Greetings all. My tender outboard is old so I have ordered a new Yamaha 25 HP for my tender. Does anyone have a simple, yet effective means of locking the outboard onto the tender? Also, does anyone have any tricks or deterrents to discourage or hopefully prevent the theft of the outboard and / or tender. Reversing fuel flow, tracking devices, mechanical locks etc. etc. What ideas and systems do you have please? (In December, I had the immense displeasure of having two 50HP Yamaha outboard motors stolen off my surf launch fishing boat and I don't want that happening again.)
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 10:14   #2

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Theft Of Outboard Motors.

Where are the thieves marketing these stolen motors?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 10:27   #3

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Where are the thieves marketing these stolen motors?
I don't know. What outboard are you looking for?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:07   #4

Boat: Boatless

You need a lock that requires a grinder to remove.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stai...1cCW6NGBzPQeM:

We lock the dinghy itself with 3/8 chain and a big, hard to cut lock. On the boat always lift and lock.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:13   #5

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Also, does anyone have any tricks or deterrents to discourage or hopefully prevent the theft of the outboard and / or tender.

Put Mercury decals on it.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Theft Of Outboard Motors.

You could pretty easily drill out that brass lock.
In truth there is no sure way, best is to hope you make it more trouble than they are prepared to go through so they move on.
I have heard of a saws all being used to cut out a section of transom when an impregnable lock was used.
Many say to tear up your motor cover and paint it oddly, so it sticks out.
May sound stupid, but I took off my 20 HP sticker and stuck on the factory 6 HP sticker, in the hope they don’t want an 6.
You would be surprised at how many cruisers that 6 HP sticker fools, I Usually get comments on how fast a 6 that motor is
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:24   #7

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
You need a lock that requires a grinder to remove.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stai...1cCW6NGBzPQeM:

We lock the dinghy itself with 3/8 chain and a big, hard to cut lock. On the boat always lift and lock.
LOL you need to watch bosnianbill on youtube.. In 8 years on youtube, I think he has only been stumped by 8 locks and they were all custom built. There is NO lock you can buy that cannot be picked (in under 5 min).

However, your strategy is sound. The goal is NOT to be the easiest one to steal. Motor/Dinghy thefts may be planned but thieves are lazy. If you have a big, heavy, quality lock and chain they will simply skip your tender and steal all the low hanging fruit.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:26   #8

We also know multiple cruisers that found old damaged motor covers in the bin. They put their nice new cover in a locker and run around with a beat up, duct taped monstrosity. Seems to work for them.
Old 15-01-2018, 11:59   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ypsilanti,

I think the most honest answer is that it's like your big boat: how do you lock a tissue box? You do the best you can, but.....

Fwiw, we have seen people throw bits of paint they had left over all over both the o/b and the dinghy. However, if you frequent high theft areas, there will always be risk.

The people who stole our dinghy actually set it alight, (the police said that was to destroy DNA evidence, but I think they were just hooligans) and only kept the 15 hp motor.

Most people who steal o/bs, either want to sell them for money or trade for drugs or to use them themselves. You're better off than they. They have no compunction about it. One is so naked without a dinghy: it is a real annoyance, requiring a marina berth or some such with shore access till you can sort it out.

You could have cowl covers made that cover the hp designation. But really, anybody who can't tell just by the size won't be the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Ann
Old 15-01-2018, 12:38   #10

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
LOL you need to watch bosnianbill on youtube.. In 8 years on youtube, I think he has only been stumped by 8 locks and they were all custom built. There is NO lock you can buy that cannot be picked (in under 5 min).
There are commercial key locks made that are truely pick resisting. I had a quick look on his YouTube site and he has much better skills than most locksmiths but I didn't see any sophisticated key locks there.
Old 15-01-2018, 12:46   #11

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
Greetings all. My tender outboard is old so I have ordered a new Yamaha 25 HP for my tender. Does anyone have a simple, yet effective means of locking the outboard onto the tender? Also, does anyone have any tricks or deterrents to discourage or hopefully prevent the theft of the outboard and / or tender. Reversing fuel flow, tracking devices, mechanical locks etc. etc. What ideas and systems do you have please? (In December, I had the immense displeasure of having two 50HP Yamaha outboard motors stolen off my surf launch fishing boat and I don't want that happening again.)
Simple answer is turn the clamp screws up until the eyes on the levers line up and put a padlock through both holes. Not prevention but a deterrent for opportunistic thief's and probably enough to satisfy your insurance.
Old 15-01-2018, 12:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
There are commercial key locks made that are truely pick resisting. I had a quick look on his YouTube site and he has much better skills than most locksmiths but I didn't see any sophisticated key locks there.
Really you need to go back and look again.. He posts a video a week (for years) and has pretty much tried to pick every lock on earth. He has whole series on commercial key locks and picking them (some with crazy serated side pins). Barrel locks, dimple locks, wafer locks from schlage, brinks, yale, ect.. He has tried to pick them all.. Best of all he describes EXACTLY how he is doing it and what tools he is using. After he has picked them, he guts them and shows you exactly how they work.

Hell people send him strange locks from all over the world. He even recieved a lock that used a chain key (yes a key made from chain). I don't think I have seen a more sophisticated lock ever..

His Youtube series has shown me a whole new perspective on physical security. Nothing is really secure, just more secure then the next. The goal is to make it as complicated as possible to slow thieves down. Anyone really determined, with the right skills and tools can get into any physical security.
Old 15-01-2018, 13:18   #13

Maybe keyless combination lock completely made of high tensile steel (something much harder than SS)? Does such thing exist?
Something like this? Keep it in oil while not in use, so it won't rust or get stuck.
https://www.amazon.com/Squire-Locks-.../dp/B0091P6SWY

Or this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABLOY-PLM35...oAAOSwWflaDpOO

I also thinking about active protection - invisible integrating VHF tracker into motor, sending GPS location to you in case motor has been moved.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:40   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

You could have cowl covers made that cover the hp designation. But really, anybody who can't tell just by the size won't be the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Ann

Ann, I’m telling you , the 20 HP Zuk isn’t that big, and I have never had anyone think it was mis labeled, everyone thinks it’s a 6.
Although my insurence that allows me to be in Florida during Hurricane season, will not cover the dinghy in the Bahamas. I guess theft is pretty bad.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:52   #15

No bumpers in this lock, real life thieves wouldn't bother dealing with it unless your dinghy worth million. Of course, other bits must be adequate too.

ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard