Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 20:10   #1

Boat: Westsail 32, 40 LOA
The Portland Pudgy ?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this dinghy Porland Pudgy

My wife and I just took possession of a Westsail32 on Friday (yeah!!) and are looking at getting a dinghy. We've looked at a couple and are wondering if this boat would work for us? Mainly, storing it on board.
Ideas??
sailingpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 21:10   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: The Portland Pudgy ?

Start with these threads about the Pudgy

Using the custom Google search found in the Search button on CruisersForum

portland pudgy - Google Search
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 23:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I wanted to buy one but got jerked around so much by the distributor, I gave up. They are really expensive for what they are, a blow moulded boat. By the time you get the life raft package and the sailing kit, they get into 4 boat units to get them equipped with all the gear. Don't know how much they weigh but be conscious of weight for any dinghy that you get. The difficulty of muscling a dinghy around on deck and lauching and retrieving it really ramp up with each additional pound over about 60#s

I waited around checking Craig's List and Ebay on SF Bay for a few months and picked up an old but unused Montgomery 8' sailing dinghy, a used Redcrest and a nearly new Liferaft a about 3 boat units, total.

If you are seriously cruising, two dinghys are a really good idea. If you only have one, anyone on the boat is stranded while the dinghy is in use is stranded. Second doesn't have to be much but it's really nice not to be tethered to each other because of only having one dinghy.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

My opinion is that the weight (128lb) is too much for one person to handle. And it's expensive.

In the US inflatable boats seem to rule. Not knowing the local conditions it's hard to know why. RIB's seem to be the most favaoured, and many look to weigh less than the Pudgy.

I'll second the 60lb limit for those wishing to avoid a hernia.

If you really want a rotation molded dinghy then the Walker Bay 8 is lighter (71lb), cheaper and about the same beam.

Have you thought about how the dinghy will be used? Is it going to sit in the sun all day, will it be dragged over rocks, is it going to be stored in a high theft area? How will you get it onto your boat, and where will it be stored once it's there?

Before buying have a look round where you keep your boat. Check where dinghys are stored, locked, and moved. What type is most preferred?

In my area smaller battered fibreglass wrecks, chained up together with their oars by stout padlocks, rule.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55   #5

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

The Walker Bay's are injection molded and have the floatation in the bolt on seats. I can attest that the floatation will keep you from sinking (unless you have a load of deep cycle batteries on board), but they are pretty tippy, so you will get your opportunities to test it yourself, only a matter of time.
Old 25-11-2011, 16:26   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31 / Defever 40

The Portland Pudgy is a great boat. I have one and towed it across the Gulf in some crappy weather and it handled it fine. It is very stable rows great and the 2hp Honda moves it along without a problem. When I went up the Tombigbee I lifted it with the main halyard just enough to keep it out of the water and gained ½ knott. I keep a few provisions in it when I make a crossing and would rather step into it in an emergency then a Walker Bay. I don’t know if the boat was produced with a blow mold or an injection mold, don’t care. I guess at some point inflatables might go through a sewing machine or some other gadget.
cd30ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 17:13   #7

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

can't understand why anyone would want one of these at this price...expensive/weighs alot/not much room...get an inflatible...you'll be alot happier...
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 13:33   #8

I too am considering the Pudgy as well as the "Rigid inflatable Boat". I don't understand the comments about price. They are actually cheaper than the higher quality inflatables.

My only concern with the Pudgy is the 2hp limit. Is that fast enough and is the boat large enough to enjoy the beaches of the Bahamas with the other sailors?
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 13:36   #9

One more thought or observation. The Pudgy has a kit which allows the boat to be "Hinged on the swim deck". This makes for a stable and easy loading especially since it means one is only lifting less than half the boat weight.
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 11:57   #10

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance835 View Post
My only concern with the Pudgy is the 2hp limit. Is that fast enough and is the boat large enough to enjoy the beaches of the Bahamas with the other sailors?
While I don't have a PP, I do use a Honda 2hp outboard on our 10' RIB (and previously on our Sandpiper 8). She's not "fast" at all, but it'll get you to and from shore reliably. There's not enough power to overcome a big swell coming ashore, but in calm conditions it'll do just fine.

As for the Pudgy: I like the concept, but the price seems high for what it is. Check here for blog posts from a cruisers who has used a PP extensively: Sailing Vessel Precipice: Search results for pudgy
Old 19-02-2012, 06:56   #11

Effective yesterday, we now own a used Portland Pudgy. I won't be able to try it out on the water until later in the spring (see my detailed blog post about it here), but it appears to be of stout construction. Compare that against some of the RIBs that share our dinghy rack -- the ones that have sagged and/or deflated since November.
Old 19-02-2012, 07:39   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

While at a mooring in Portland, Maine, I toured the small manufacturing offices of the Portland Pudgy and I was very impressed with their product. Though I like the Portland Pudgy, I selected a lighter dinghy for my own use on my davits with the same concerns expressed by Boracay. If you can deal with the weight the Pudgy can be a good choice.
Old 19-02-2012, 19:02   #13

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Reminds me of a girl I once knew. But she was from Bath, actually.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:15   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive seen a Pudgy or two in Portland over the years !! LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 21:01   #15

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Too heavy!!!

Tags
portland pudgy