Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 05:29   #76
Registered User
 
Southpass's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carrabelle, FL
Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Marqueses, 56
Posts: 34
Re: The death of Active Captain

From what I can gather there is no way to access Active Captain on a mobile device like a phone or tablet without owning a Garmin Chart Plotter. Am I mistaken?
__________________

Southpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:37   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
Re: The death of Active Captain

I have downloaded the Garmin app for iOS. It seems to work ok. It does want to sync up with a Chartplotter but I just ignore as I have Raymarine.
__________________

rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:37   #78
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 3,872
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpass View Post
From what I can gather there is no way to access Active Captain on a mobile device like a phone or tablet without owning a Garmin Chart Plotter. Am I mistaken?
Last I heard, yes. As of a few weeks ago, there are still several apps that integrate AC markers...

Time Zero is one, MX Mariner is another...

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:37   #79
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 15,028
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpass View Post
From what I can gather there is no way to access Active Captain on a mobile device like a phone or tablet without owning a Garmin Chart Plotter. Am I mistaken?
You are. But you have to have something that integrates with it. I have Aqua Map on my tablet and it has AC data on it. When I loaded it it was $14.99 with unlimited US maps, or free and you paid for chart areas.

It has been one of the best cheap things for the boat I've done.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:39   #80
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 15,028
Re: The death of Active Captain

Was on the garmin active captain site the other day, seems to be working fine. I wrote a couple of reviews on it and they later downloaded to my Aqua Map tablet app
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:45   #81
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 25,574
The death of Active Captain

There is an Active Capt app that you can download, itís not worth much, unless of course you own a Garmin plotter, that is clearly its intent.

However I have noticed that on my Blue Charts app that still functions, that Active Capt will no longer update, and on the SEAiq App I just purchased, it has Active Capt, but cant apparently connect to Active Capt any longer to download the database.
So to me it would seem that Garmin is slowly ensuring that to use Active Captain, that your going to have to have a Garmin plotter.
I had hoped that when Garmin purchased Navionics and killed their Blue Charts App that meant that maybe they were going to beef up Navionics and maybe add Active Capt to it.
It is beginning to appear that their intent is to make it so that AC is available only on a Garmin plotter.
My biggest dislike of Garmin plotters, is that you can only use a Garmin map on them.

Building up a business, and then selling it for a good profit is the American way, but I wonder if the developer knew it would go this way.

I wonder if Garminís purchase of Navionics was to kill it? From their Avionics way of doing things, it wouldnít surprise me. In the aircraft world, they make a huge amount of money, but mostly through very expensive updates, that is where the real money is.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:49   #82
Registered User
 
Southpass's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carrabelle, FL
Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Marqueses, 56
Posts: 34
Re: The death of Active Captain

Thanks all!, It looks like I'll be buying Aqua map. Is there a handheld Garmin Chartplotter that is Active Captain compatible? Thanks in advance.
Southpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:03   #83
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29į 49.16í N 82į 25.82í W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 13,897
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpass View Post
From what I can gather there is no way to access Active Captain on a mobile device like a phone or tablet without owning a Garmin Chart Plotter. Am I mistaken?
I can access Active Captain on any device I have with internet access. I have a couple of different laptops and a desktop. Only one has been linked to my Garmin plotter, the other two not at all. I can go to www.activecaptain.com/map and see all the charts and points of interest. This does require internet access so if you're offline no help.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.

Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:25   #84
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 15,028
Re: The death of Active Captain

The main reason I got Aqua Map was the off line Active Captain use. Then I found it had better maps than my chartplotter which was going to cost $700 to update chips, so I got a GPS for $99 for my iPad and now the Aqua Map is my "close quarters" chartplotter.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:19   #85
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 25,574
Re: The death of Active Captain

Downloaded Aquamap, it wonít let me sign in to my Active Capt account, neither will Blue Chart now, or SEAiq.
I assume Garmin is blocking it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:41   #86
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 5,255
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Downloaded Aquamap, it wonít let me sign in to my Active Capt account, neither will Blue Chart now, or SEAiq.
I assume Garmin is blocking it.
A fess the AquaMap technical assistance. I had to do that also. They sent me detailed instructions to wall me through the process. I have found their tech support to be VERY good.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:54   #87
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 25,574
The death of Active Captain

I can sign into AC on my blue chart app, but when I try to update AC, it wonít, I get a message that the download has been interrupted.
I have even reset my password, same result.

I donít think this is a glitch
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:50   #88
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out cruising/ St. Augustine
Boat: Bruckmann 50
Posts: 707
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There is an Active Capt app that you can download, itís not worth much, unless of course you own a Garmin plotter, that is clearly its intent.

However I have noticed that on my Blue Charts app that still functions, that Active Capt will no longer update, and on the SEAiq App I just purchased, it has Active Capt, but cant apparently connect to Active Capt any longer to download the database.
So to me it would seem that Garmin is slowly ensuring that to use Active Captain, that your going to have to have a Garmin plotter.
I had hoped that when Garmin purchased Navionics and killed their Blue Charts App that meant that maybe they were going to beef up Navionics and maybe add Active Capt to it.
It is beginning to appear that their intent is to make it so that AC is available only on a Garmin plotter.
My biggest dislike of Garmin plotters, is that you can only use a Garmin map on them.

Building up a business, and then selling it for a good profit is the American way, but I wonder if the developer knew it would go this way.

I wonder if Garminís purchase of Navionics was to kill it? From their Avionics way of doing things, it wouldnít surprise me. In the aircraft world, they make a huge amount of money, but mostly through very expensive updates, that is where the real money is.
Try again. They seemed to have fixed it just this week. I downloaded the entire database just yesterday on my iPhone on BlueChart.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:53   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out cruising/ St. Augustine
Boat: Bruckmann 50
Posts: 707
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I can sign into AC on my blue chart app, but when I try to update AC, it wonít, I get a message that the download has been interrupted.
I have even reset my password, same result.

I donít think this is a glitch
You have probably done this but restart the app by closing and opening again and see what you find. Mine had the interrupted message but it had actually downloaded and everything was working fine. The message went away after restart and showed "Updated 3 hours ago" or something of that nature.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:15   #90
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TX
Boat: Whitby 42
Posts: 163
Re: The death of Active Captain

AC works on my Android tablet running Firefox.
__________________

BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captain

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Export Active Captain Route To Garmin Therapy Navigation 14 05-04-2011 13:13
Active Captain sailorboy1 Navigation 11 21-03-2011 11:23



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.