Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04   #1

St. Martin , BVI conditions,boat size aargh:)

k. I am the captain/planner and in need of help. Quick background -2 9 day cruises Exumas on 41 foot Jeanneau. Wonderful...Heading up next cruise but possibility of 4 couples. Navtours who have been great dont have a large monohull at Exumas

1st question. Has anyone sailed with 8 people on a Dufour 500GL. I am having a hard time finding cockpit dimensions. If it is the same size as the 41 ft Jenny I don't believe a 8 day cruise with 8 people would be pleasant (elbow to elbow). We are good friends and I'd hate to ruin that.lol

2) I have a few skiddish newbie sailors Price is right at St. M
artins but I am skiddish about swells and seas. Also want to hit St. Barts and Anguilla although Anguilla seems to have a lot fo fees Are there many good anchorages where swells can.be almost non-existent (PS-we actually like quiet places). If early November what are the chances of some no sailing days. Do I ahve to go far offshore to get into legal fishing grounds.

3rd)BVI appears to have a tax/fee or everything from fishing permits to cruising fees . Not to mention pain in the butt to get to flight wise I also see fees in Anguilla Are the Anguilla fees for a day pe person or a week. thank you ahead of time for input. Considered CYOA out fo St. Thomas but not a big enough monohull either. Sorry for the lengthy post but this is where the information with experience behind it seems to be
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:44   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: St. Martin , BVI conditions,boat size aargh:)

I can't answer #1 but will touch on some parts of #2

North swells are the only things you need to worry about, all anchorages are protected from the normal Atlantic swells. St. Martin, Anguilla and St. Barths have great anchorages which are calm in normal conditions. If you are in St. Martin and a big north swell is predicted there is only one protected anchorage and that is inside the Simpson Baie lagoon. I've been in Grand Case, in Marigot, on Île Fourchue and in Anse Colombier during a north swell and they are miserable, bordering on untenable.

The BVI has a couple of options during a north swell (the North Sound and Diamond Cay for example). The anchorages in the BVI are generally more protected.

Fortunately, big north swells are rare.
Old 02-12-2019, 16:10   #3

Re: St. Martin , BVI conditions,boat size aargh:)

I'm sure you've considered a cat, but for 8 people, it's difficult to think of anything better than a +45' cat with 4 cabins. Most charter companies have that size and larger. If you're a bit unsure because you've never sailed a cat, the companies will have a skipper for 1/2 day to give you the intro. I can't remember which company it is, but one gives you this included in the charter fee.

No, it won't sail like a mono, but with new and skiddish guests you'll get them to come back (if you want) with a cat. With a mono, they may get nervous just from small heeling and ruin the whole reason you sail a mono. I've seen guests crying on the floor of the cockpit with 10d heel... Some just can't get over it.

(I prefer the mono, but give in for our annual trip because life's too short.)
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, BVI, size, St Martin