Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 23:44   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Stern Floodlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post

A strobe light can also be attached to your mast, with regulated flashing; a tungsten white flash every minute or so. It is easy to spot your boat from a long distance. When placed high enough, it will not blind anyone or be visual for those down below.
There is a lot of division over the use of flashing lights at anchor. They are prohibited by the collision regulations although there has been some call to change this.

Those that use them point out that a flashing light is good at attracting attention, is less likely to be confused with a shore light and it uses less power.
Those against point out that a flashing light could be confused with a signal from a lighthouse and that a flashing light should be kept for a distress signal (although only sailors from a few countries seem to consider it so)

Personally I don't use a flashing light, mainly because it against the regulations, but there is less need now that very bright, low power consumption LEDs that can illuminate some of the superstructure are available.

Flashing light are very popular in Europe. Most busy anchorages have a couple of boats using them. I have no great objection as long as the boat is easy to see if I come into the anchorage at night, but some people object strongly, so I hope you have your flak jacket on Mauritz.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 09:34   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Since I last posted, we witnessed last night on a night sail a collision between a C&C 41 and a local marina tender made of steel. I don't know the details, but we were close enough to see it was a "T-bone" type collision...and that the sailboat had a strobe on its mast-top!

That's going to mean a fine, irrespective of who hit who.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 19:05   #18

Boat: between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

There is a lot of division over the use of flashing lights at anchor. They are prohibited by the collision regulations although there has been some call to change this.

Flashing light are very popular in Europe. Most busy anchorages have a couple of boats using them. I have no great objection as long as the boat is easy to see if I come into the anchorage at night, but some people object strongly, so I hope you have your flak jacket on Mauritz.
In an anchorage in greece right now. 2 flashing anchor lights out if 8 boats. One is red flash 3 secs. Glad Not trying to get in here in dark or i might think i was looking at the channel mark

Thin end if the wedge.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 23:25   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The fishermen in Greece often use flashing led markers. They re available in the hardware shops for a few euros. Some of the better ones are quite bright with 6+ LEDs typically red ( these are brighter than white LEDs) and with a daylight sensor so they turn off at night.
Many boats figure they are much brighter than garden lights and the battery lasts a long time.

I don't agree with there use them as anchor lights, but they are at least much safer than the typical garden light.

I often use a couple on lines when I am stern tied to shore.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 23:34   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Put me down with those who think the OP's light at the stern is a good idea. Don't think it will hinder others, and don't think it will be attractive to thieves, who prefer to sneak around in darkness, after all. Will be pleasant for landing and make landing a lot safer. I say go for it.

I leave an LED cabin light on for this purpose; sometimes an LED deck light.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote