Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 08:07   #841
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I dunno DoJ. I'm not sure that access to more information necessarily translates into saving more money. Certainly in some instances, but there is a real cost to all this connectivity. Besides, most of our transactions are done at a local level. There are other ways to get that kind of information than going online. Perhaps on big purchases like sails, etc., but these kinds of transactions don't come along that often.

Given the costs of staying connected to the Internet, I think it's debatable regarding the economic value. There are be other reasons, but I have a hard time seeing cost-savings as one. .
its nice from a time saved standpoint. I use it to look up locations of grocery stores, propane refill locations, hardware, etc., when visiting a new town. Saves lots o walking. I don't have a phone so internet allows me to see where I need to get too. I use a t-mobile month to month plan, btw.

Plus weather/tide info. weather radar, news, Email, voip, forums, etc. Gee its only $30 dollars for 2.5 gigs and I use it all the time. Being connected in the boondocks is quite nice. Its my one and only luxury.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 08:20   #842

Boat: csy 37

wow! $30 for 2.5 gigs! i'm paying $20 for 1 gig. got to go looking for a new carrier...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 08:43   #843
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Using the program started by George Bush, but this thread is not meant to be political.

Not meant as a political comment, they are called "Obama phones" pretty much universally. Only point it if your living on $500 a month, I think you would surely qualify, but admit I don't know what it takes to qualify.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 08:48   #844

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Not meant as a political comment, they are called "Obama phones" pretty much universally. Only point it if your living on $500 a month, I think you would surely qualify, but admit I don't know what it takes to qualify.
You need to earn less than $1300 a month and have less than ~$2000 in assets. If you own a boat or a car you are unlikely to qualify.
Old 16-02-2014, 08:53   #845

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
its nice from a time saved standpoint. I use it to look up locations of grocery stores, propane refill locations, hardware, etc., when visiting a new town. Saves lots o walking. I don't have a phone so internet allows me to see where I need to get too. I use a t-mobile month to month plan, btw.

Plus weather/tide info. weather radar, news, Email, voip, forums, etc. Gee its only $30 dollars for 2.5 gigs and I use it all the time. Being connected in the boondocks is quite nice. Its my one and only luxury.
I take your point SC, and bow to your obvious experience. Communications costs are one of the things we're taking a close look at as we gear up for our departure this summer. The benefits and conveniences are not to be doubted. But the monthly costs will add up to a major portion of a frugal budget ... unless you stick to free wifi zones.
Old 16-02-2014, 09:05   #846

I guess I'm hoping to find a lot of coffee shops with free, or nearly free access.
Old 16-02-2014, 09:13   #847
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
I guess I'm hoping to find a lot of coffee shops with free, or nearly free access.

Public libraries, quite a few motels / hotels, many restruants, many book stores. Free Wifi is available just have to look, and often scan. There are Wifi "catchers" made, but I don't have nor have I ever used one
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 09:13   #848
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually in the us, t-mobiles month to month cost has no added fees. For me, and I check everywhere, it's the cheapest plan. The two year plans actually cost more, as they ding you with taxes and fees. Plus after 2.5 gig it slows down and not off.
Old 16-02-2014, 09:21   #849

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
wow! $30 for 2.5 gigs! i'm paying $20 for 1 gig. got to go looking for a new carrier...
That is a heck of a deal. Way cheaper data than you can get on any of the major U.S. phone plans, even from the MVNOs like AirVoice, or H2O, or Pageplus.

If you have a GSM-enabled tablet, check out T-Mobile's free 200MB per month deal:
200 MB of Free Mobile Data for the new Google Nexus 7 Tablet Starting at $0 Down | T-Mobile
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 09:41   #850
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Public libraries, quite a few motels / hotels, many restruants, many book stores. Free Wifi is available just have to look, and often scan. There are Wifi "catchers" made, but I don't have nor have I ever used one
I do have a long range wifi device too. But in many places most of the wifi is locked. I don't drink Coffee so never think about coffee shops. Plis coffee is not cheap either. In the boondocks on the hook, getting good weather info is really nice. Noaa hf and vhf weather is not good enough for me. For a dollar a day its peace of mind, knowing when and from what direction storms come from, so location can be picked for low fetch. Makes for a better nights sleep.
Old 16-02-2014, 09:56   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I do have a long range wifi device too. But in many places most of the wifi is locked. I don't drink Coffee so never think about coffee shops. Plis coffee is not cheap either. In the boondocks on the hook, getting good weather info is really nice. Noaa hf and vhf weather is not good enough for me. For a dollar a day its peace of mind, knowing when and from what direction storms come from, so location can be picked for low fetch. Makes for a better nights sleep.
We plan on cruising the cheap countries, so I doubt a US plan will do us much good. I expect we'll seek out busier/more touristed spots every so often and try to find something we can use to check in with family and friends.
Old 16-02-2014, 10:03   #852
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In my mind the us, well parts of it anyway, is a cheap country. No entry /exit fees. One of the reasons I'm not in mexico yet, is renewing the 6 month visa. Not the cost of the visa, but getting too and from the border to renew. Really hits the low cost sailor.
Old 16-02-2014, 10:07   #853

True, and we'll start in the US, but my interest is in travel and I'd like to see as many places as possible.
Old 16-02-2014, 10:16   #854

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

sailorchic ya gotta get back to First Coast ya know....

Life is Good if ya keepa Smilin....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 10:25   #855
Armchair Bucketeer

Go now! and go Tidal! (at least for yer antifouling ) - wots a haulout? ($$$)

"Blocks" in background and drying pad in foreground (with a fin keel would use the pad - or be very careful using the blocks!)

Somewhat of a duplicate post on the beaching thread - but I think has merit here as well.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget