Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 04:21   #541
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Steel hull over coated, flame sprayed, with aluminum, so we use aluminum specific bottom paint. Coated hull last year, was working on a rust spot on toe rail and spilled a bit of muratic acid, out scupper down hull.

When we just hauled we had an even coat of small barnacles, except where the acid had been, there it was clean.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 07:54   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Steel hull over coated, flame sprayed, with aluminum, so we use aluminum specific bottom paint. Coated hull last year, was working on a rust spot on toe rail and spilled a bit of muratic acid, out scupper down hull.

When we just hauled we had an even coat of small barnacles, except where the acid had been, there it was clean.
You may be on to something in regards to keeping a steel hull clean then?
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:28   #543

Thought a lot about a dink when my wife and I moved aboard our Cal 30.
Ended up getting a 10' port-a-boat on cregs list for 900$. Only used twice. Best money I ever spent. Verry durable, do not have to worry about sharp rocks when landing ect, can carry me the wife and the warf rat. Best part it folds dowm to 4" flat.
Old sailor
lunasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:15   #544

Boat: csy 37

long time cruising friend of mine converted to portabote about a dozen years ago. likes them so much he GAVE me his perfectly good inflatable just to get it off his boat. and he didn't need the portabote for it's space saving qualities, just thinks they're great....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:24   #545

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I like the concept of the Portabotes and from people I talk to they are happy with them. The one big disadvantage I see is the difficulty or impossibility of getting in and out of one when swimming, which to me is a big part of cruising. If I didn't think that was so important I would be perfectly happy with a small hard dink, possibly a rowing pram, that you can pick up anywhere for $300 or less. They last forever with basic maintenance and repairs, and the rowing is good for you. Also, nobody steals the rowing dink. Paint it some god-awful color with leftover paint, and it will be nearly theft proof. It is the shoestring sailor way to go.
Old 25-03-2013, 15:26   #546
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
You may be on to something in regards to keeping a steel hull clean then?
-Bruce
Don't know. But something that bears more investigation.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:36   #547

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I like the concept of the Portabotes and from people I talk to they are happy with them. The one big disadvantage I see is the difficulty or impossibility of getting in and out of one when swimming, which to me is a big part of cruising. If I didn't think that was so important I would be perfectly happy with a small hard dink...
I didn't know what one was, just finished watch a video... which among other things, shows a curvy chick getting in and out of the boat using a ladder off the bow!?! ... she comes complete with wetsuit and weight belt (she's going free diving with her lifejacket)

AMAZING FOLDING PORTA-BOTE - YouTube

I was both confused, and impressed by that little display.
Old 25-03-2013, 15:58   #548
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
How about some of you "shoestring sailors" post some real life $$$ numbers. By now 1 of you must have been able to do this so maybe the rest of us can believe.
I do understand why you asked the question , but don't see any point in anyone bothering to do that as no actual use for others (not enough data to generate reliable prices on s/h boats alone - let alone when you add a liveaboard owner to the mix and the squillion different circumstances and choices involved).

But I will say again (for the benefit of any readers who were not around when the thread started and can't be arsed to read all the pages!) that this thread is not really about the $500 figure (that a pretty arbitary number - and many folks don't actually use the USD anyway!)......in practice I suspect that most don't acheive only $500 a month and those that do are the less likely to be spending their budget on laptops and internet , especially as any monthly figure will be an average only - some months way lower and some way higher.... therefore to acheive $500 a month will likely involve being able to live on $200 (or less?!), at least sometimes.

IMO the thread serves two main purposes:-

1) to say that living on a boat is not only for those who live out of the glossy magazines and with the budgets to match. Peasants are welcome .

2) to swap ideas and thoughts, in general and in specific, with a view to helping folks think through and come up with own answers - that each can live with (and not). One size does not fit all - all the more true the smaller the budget.

No magic or easy (spoonfed?) answers here ......will have to wait for the book .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 16:29   #549

Thanks for the clarification - although it will get quickly swallowed up in the pages to come.
Personally I found it very frustrating wading through the first 15 or so pages of complete dribble (or is it drivel?)... I had pretty much given up on finding any useful information in the thread (like the real data and spreadsheets etc that i've stumbled over in the past)
I ended up subscribing to the thread anyway in the hope that if I watched it every day, I might be able to sift out some gems from the silty sand.
There are some worthy stones in here... somewhere.

My cruising budget is $1000 per month, but it is a somewhat arbitrary number that has very little substance. Its a future budget - ie. i'm working out what it WILL cost if/when I set off. (The plan being a 1yr Caribbean -> NZ trip on a 40' Cat).
Old 25-03-2013, 16:34   #550

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Yes, $500 per month is BS for long term cruising. You can do it for a month or three in the 3rd world, but you still need to maintain your boat sometime and stock up with food and then your average goes right up. Or just let the boat deteriorate and live on beans and rice in Panama without cruising - that is possible for $6000 p.a. and we know people doing it.

For a list of almost 30 blogs which detail their cruising expenses and shows the variation, you can follow this link:

http://thegiddyupplan.blogspot.ca/20...-cruising.html

You will end up spending somewhere between 50% and 100% of whatever you spend annually when living ashore.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 16:39   #551

Thanks Jimbo! That link is GOLD and should be made a sticky!
Old 25-03-2013, 16:47   #552

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
Thanks for the clarification - although it will get quickly swallowed up in the pages to come.

My cruising budget is $1000 per month, but it is a somewhat arbitrary number that has very little substance. Its a future budget - ie. i'm working out what it WILL cost if/when I set off. (The plan being a 1yr Caribbean -> NZ trip on a 40' Cat).

I wish you could see this for the silly stuff it is. Where do the huevos come from to type this crap? You sir, need a life. Anyone who disagrees better take a reading class. I call em like I see em.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 16:52   #553

I'm listening... but I'm not hearing anything even remotely constructive... do you have something you'd like to contribute?
Old 25-03-2013, 16:58   #554

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Your job to do the work Mr. Padawan Ass, gas, or grass ... no one rides for free.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 16:59   #555

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007

We just did that trip over the last few years. It is impossible for a couple on that budget on a 40' cat. Unless you are vegan, teetotalers who never eat ashore, never buy a souvenir, good internet scroungers and are willing to have a piece of **** boat when you arrive in NZ. Which means, just buy food in the USA and Panama and treat it like a hard core delivery, less fun and then do the maintenance when you get to NZ.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget