Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2012, 13:09   #106

Re: Self Promotion (Changing Values?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
So, I think we are more similar than different. Creators of fiction sailing blogs - they are chasing something, as we all do.

Societies are organized around claiming some values while apparently chasing quite a different set. Now the unfortunate bloggers 'get caught' but the reader never gets caught. But believe me, the reader has their own little hypocrisies, each one of us.

I truly see more similarities than differences.

Hugs,
barnie
B..b...but hers isn't labeled as fiction! ARGH!!!!

What the heck are you talking about regarding the reader never getting caught? What's that all about? You're being very cryptic... ?
ChrisnCate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 13:37   #107
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnCate View Post
Raku, No ones saying promoting a blog or book or anything is bad - I'm simply voicing an opinion about what I perceive as hyped over promotion and misrepresentation.

If you want to have the attitude that you cannot judge anything based on the input you receive, I can live with that and wouldn't suggest otherwise for you. We all have to draw our own conclusions based on thresholds we are comfortable with. I happen to be comfortable taking information provided and taking a firm opinion.

I am open to having my mind changed, I am not set in stone. If I am missing something here regarding the blog in question, or if I am wrong somehow in my assessment, I'm listening, lay it on me..

About the only thing I am not open to is taking an attitude that if someone puts themselves out there, I cannot form an opinion or judge them. I refuse to get so PC that everyone gets a free pass 'cause we can't have an opinion that may make others uncomfortable.

I don't think anyone is saying you can't form an opinion. In fact, once you've put yourself out there (for instance, by being an actor, or actively seeking publicity in some way) it's MUCH harder to win a slander/libel case, because you have invited people to take a closer look at you.

All I was saying was that having a well done website doesn't mean the person isn't living a simple life. And, "simple life" is open to interpretation. Mine is much simpler than my sister's. She has an oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer in her home, central air and heating, etc. I use the marina laundromat. I wash my dishes in a VERY tiny sink watching every tablespoon of water I use. But some would not call it simple since I'm in a marina, and certainly I don't live as simply as my friend who lives on the hook.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 14:17   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpainzmcspice View Post
It's awkward and sort of shameful.
Hit the nail on the head.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote